Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 AM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times

Advertisements

GE is now an inverse stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 AM

106,688 posts, read 108,856,202 times
AT&T too

Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I have always felt GE was to big to fail. It had so many divisions that really produced so many great things in its time.

Will they go the route of Sears, Kodak, Polaroid and others have, not sure but it seems to be leaning that way.

As I have said in other posts, when will the live for today's rewards rather than positioning for the future thinking by these so called industry leaders be erased from corporate play books?

I always refer to Blockbuster and their blind eye to Netflix........can't imagine not one soul at BB saw that coming. Same with Sears, it could have been saved early on if not for Lambert playing the role of corporate raider.

If GE hits $6 a share I might pick up a hundred shares for the twins. I think that would be a better bet than Vegas

We did the same with AirTran and BOA. To me controlled turmoil and disaster is the best time to gamble a few dollars on a hundred shares and let it ride.
Sears dug their own grave the minute somebody there decided not to put their catalog on the internet. That's the kind of thing that these rich executives are paid to get right -- and they blew it. Sears is certainly getting what they deserve. As for GE I'm staying far, far away. I've got enough troubles with AT&T right now.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:46 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sears dug their own grave the minute somebody there decided not to put their catalog on the internet. That's the kind of thing that these rich executives are paid to get right -- and they blew it. Sears is certainly getting what they deserve. As for GE I'm staying far, far away. I've got enough troubles with AT&T right now.
GE is booming right now! 3.5% just for today!

Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
I retired from GE Aviation last year after 39 years. Aviation is their crowning jewel.
What used to be a well managed and run business is now in crisis mode. The labor contracts used to be looked forward to as the union negotiated fair contracts that benefited their employees. Now, every negotiation is filled with dread as they have done nothing but take away pay and benefits so those at the top and shareholders can still get theirs. Where engineers used to beg to come to our plant, now they send out recruiters to schools to con them into coming. The smart and capable ones don't last long and move on quickly. Our business is not one you hire new people and immediately get them up to speed. It's complex and many jobs take years to know what you're doing. Our plant demographics have a huge number of retirees over the next 5 to 10 years. Highly skilled people leave without training anyone to replace them. the starting wage dropped to the point that their hiring pool shrunk as well, leaving them to hire people they normally wouldn't even consider. What used to be a plant with direction and focus is now chaotic with a lack of leadership. Much like Immelt, the last 2 plant managers were yanked for performance issues.
Talking to contacts at other plants, ours was not unique. When I retired, I was glad to go. The pride I had in my job was long gone. doing the right thing was replaced by getting it done. Those left that I respect all have countdown calendars to retirement dates. It's sad.

Culp may get his numbers, but unless he fixes the attitude and culture of GE, it's only numbers. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:55 AM

106,688 posts, read 108,856,202 times
The various parts of our bodies are worth more then some ..but in the end it don’t help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing