Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times

Advertisements

I save my money in target fund too and I have been investing for nearly 35 years. Less headache. I have both TRowprice and Vanguard. I just buy and forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 02:28 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,462 times
Quote:
Any bonds worth investing in?
Bonds are a basic part of a portfolio. Actually, putting 100% in bonds is more risky than putting some of your money in stocks too.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
While age might play a factor in planning or making recommendations the actual investor and their risk/comfort level is the main driver. Suggesting and equity percentage based simply on age is a sure fire way to accumulate complaints in this business
Low- if you think your telling me something your off- that is why mentioned not knowing individual situation. I'm starting to feel sympathy for you friend.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:20 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Low- if you think your telling me something your off- that is why mentioned not knowing individual situation. I'm starting to feel sympathy for you friend.
It's you're not your

And I wasn't telling you so much as pointing it out for anyone who reads it. You don't have any reason or need to feel sympathy for me

Old 11-12-2015, 06:37 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
You have a number of different needs for money over your life time. Seems that you are started in the right direction but you should start to learn about investments. Look at the educational material Vanguard offers.

You said you maxed out the Vanguard fund. Assume this is in an IRA. Consider a ROTH IRA. You get a lifetime of tax free earnings. You will want tax deferred and tax free retirement assets. You also need investments / savings for non retirement needs.

You need an emergency fund. CD's would be good. Say a 5 year CD. You can cash them in and lose 1/2 or maybe a years interest. Compared to your alternative bank saving account you are still ahead of the game. Look at on line banks.

But CD's are not investments. Investments are for needs that are at least 5 years away and probably 10. You do not want to be forced to sell investments in a down market. Thus cash, bonds (be careful of bond funds) and CD's are for short term needs.

The Target fund is ok, I used them for people like you with little experience. But since you are 24 and interest rates are low I would try and avoid retirement investments that include bonds. I would look more toward equity funds and make up your mind when it loses 50% of its value you are not going to sell. The market goes up and down and the winners are the ones that pick good investments and do not bail out in a down market. Maybe split some of the target fund money for next year into a couple of different funds or maybe a stock you like.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times
Rj,

Thanks for the response.

The vanguard fund I have is a Roth. I am thinking about getting traditional roth.

I will look more into equity funds.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:03 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Actually for a most 24 year olds (do not know entire individual situation) would actually be ok with 100% stock portfolio. Obviously need a cash (emergency) reserve account as well.
Most people simply don't have the stomach for a 100% stock portfolio, regardless of age. An 11% bond portfolio isn't really a big difference either way.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Not necessarily for a 24 year old who is putting the money away for 2050 and not drawing from it. With a target date fund the asset allocation changes as the target date nears and appetite for risk declines.
Yes, I know that but it's good enough. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Quote:
If she wants less stock risk then she could allocate a little more towards a bond index fund.
For people who just aren't that into investing, it's just easier to keep it in an all-in-one fund like a target date fund. Personally, I would prefer she have a balanced fund that varies the allocation within a certain range and changes it based on whether the manager feels stocks or bonds are a better value....but like I said, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Bonds are a basic part of a portfolio. Actually, putting 100% in bonds is more risky than putting some of your money in stocks too.
But she was talking about using some of her cash and putting it in bonds, not moving money from stocks to bonds.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's you're not your
Thank you for saying this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing