Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 AM

18,115 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

I've long believed that the economy has been somewhat shaky as far back as 2001 when the tech bubble burst. But really, that's neither here nor there. The point is: how best to invest given whatever conditions happen to exist. If I don't like the weather it's too darn bad, I have to adapt or go where the weather is different.

Same with investing. The markets are what they are whether I like it or not. My goal is to increase my wealth to the best of my ability, given my own situation, risk tolerance and other factors.

Complaining about it isn't going to do a thing to get me towards my goal. I have to adapt, the world isn't going to adapt to my needs and wants. And same with investing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 10:46 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
exactly my view . it is my life and i always had to make it work out for me , so how best to play the cards i am dealt has always been my goal , not complaining about things to others who are just as powerless to do a thing about it .

Old 02-21-2016, 05:31 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Complaining about it isn't going to do a thing to get me towards my goal. I have to adapt, the world isn't going to adapt to my needs and wants. And same with investing.
Yep.

I think a lot of the non-stop complaining is just frustration. These cats were sure the stock market had topped out and would crash so they remained in cash for years and have had to watch stock investors make huge gains to their portfolios while they go negative with inflation erosion. It gets worse every year because it becomes "too late" to admit to themselves they were wrong so they just stick to their guns and await that shining moment when they will finally be proven right.

Years of that happening (and it's impact on their retirement plans) just builds up frustration to the point where they irrationally lash out about how investors are stealing from them, investors have no morals, investors are stupid gamblers, the game is rigged, it isn't fair to savers, they are being punished, fed/execs/1%/CEOs/(insert demon here) are evil, etc.

It is both fascinating and pathetic to watch.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:52 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
with higher interest rates you still are going to buy on credit what you need or want .

if you can't afford to buy them at low rates with credit and need them , you can afford to buy them even less at higher rates but you will buy what you have to or want regardless . you will just be in greater debt
Or people might (sometimes) choose to delay the purchase until they can pay cash...

Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep.

I think a lot of the non-stop complaining is just frustration. These cats were sure the stock market had topped out and would crash so they remained in cash for years and have had to watch stock investors make huge gains to their portfolios while they go negative with inflation erosion. It gets worse every year because it becomes "too late" to admit to themselves they were wrong so they just stick to their guns and await that shining moment when they will finally be proven right.

Years of that happening (and it's impact on their retirement plans) just builds up frustration to the point where they irrationally lash out about how investors are stealing from them, investors have no morals, investors are stupid gamblers, the game is rigged, it isn't fair to savers, they are being punished, fed/execs/1%/CEOs/(insert demon here) are evil, etc.

It is both fascinating and pathetic to watch.
That is not the case for me. Because of a long lasting illness, I have only been able to work part-time so I never had any money to invest in this long bull market. I am not going to lie either. Even if I did have the funds, I would not have been in the market. On that issue, you may have a point. It would have been very painful to watch.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM

18,115 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Hey I agree there are lots and lots of crooks who do take advantage of financial markets and know how to exploit. And...? What does that mean I should do? That doesn't do a thing to help me figure out *my* plan.

I can't control other people. All I can do is try my best to save as much money as possible, invest and diversify and allocate properly so all my eggs are not in any one basket, take some risk but not undue risk, look longer term (10 years out), make more money from working, live within my means, keep a good emergency fund aside from any other investments in stable fixed income investments, and hopefully not do stupid things like panicking when markets go down (and they will always go down).

If that's crazy then yeah, I'm crazy.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:57 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Or people might (sometimes) choose to delay the purchase until they can pay cash...
yeah , i highly doubt someone is waiting 30 years to buy a house

Old 03-06-2016, 12:25 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yeah , i highly doubt someone is waiting 30 years to buy a house
30 years? You are a product of the debt culture and you can't and are unwilling to see it. You are looking at the little picture, open your mind a little.

If you stay out of debt and don't do stupid things, having enough money to buy a house for cash can happen within years. I know at least 20 people that have done this, so please don't say it can't be done.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:29 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
30 years? You are a product of the debt culture and you can't and are unwilling to see it. You are looking at the little picture, open your mind a little.

If you stay out of debt and don't do stupid things, having enough money to buy a house for cash can happen within years. I know at least 20 people that have done this, so please don't say it can't be done.

Your ancedotal evidence means very little to the big picture. You know at least 20 people who saved enough to pay cash for their house? That's great but really isn't as applicable to the masses

Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
If you stay out of debt and don't do stupid things, having enough money to buy a house for cash can happen within years.
Median household income in the United States is about $52k. Median cost of a home is $189k. Given that people have to use some of that $52k for fun things like rent, food, etc. you implying it is simply a matter of being smart to be able to pay cash for that house in a few years is a bit off.

Yes, some people can. No, most people cannot and it goes beyond avoiding debt and not being stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing