Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 03:20 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
At the beginning of each year one simply takes 4% of the current balance, that's all. I like this for quick illustrations, as I can just generate one set of data. Then I can look at any year in the data set as a starting point and the withdrawal policy is the same. If I did the usual 4% of the balance at time zero, plus inflation, then I'd need to generate a set of data for each starting year. That's all fine and good, but too much text to put in a forum thread.

I'm not promoting it as something I've looked at or tried to optimize. It's just a simple and convenient thing to do. I think sometimes it's instructive to see the dollars for each year, instead of just saying a strategy had some success rate over thirty years, or whatever.
if you did not account for sequence of the returns than it is way off as spending down in down years is not the same as spending down in up years .

in fact between the best and worst sequence there is a 15 year span in how long the money can last
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
today a 7% drop represents 9 years of maxing my 401k out AT CATCH UP
Ouch

Old 08-02-2018, 03:43 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Back on topic... Interesting day in market as U.S. markets rise...the overseas markets got hammered. Will be interesting tonight to see if overseas recovers off of the U.S. performance.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,199,860 times
Quote:
that does not mean you spend 7% . that means you have to shift some of it to the same or other investments but with a taxable status . rmds's are not to be spent , they are only to shift money out and in to taxable accounts .

also the 4% is only first year . year after year the inflation adjustment actually has your draw rate way higher based on the initial draw rate day1 .
It does mean you spend the 7% because that and social security is your income. That is our case.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:44 PM

No ,when we talk about withdrawal rates it only refers to the amount your portfolio has to supply. No other income sources need to be stress tested so it is just the portfolio draw we are concerned about

Old 08-02-2018, 04:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post

Now, because of my husbands age, we are forced to withdraw 7% from our IRA. The market has been kind since the crash, but if we hadn't had to draw out of it, we'd be very happy. However, each year he ages, the amount we are forced to withdraw increases. I hope we both live forever, but if we do, we won't have enough money to survive.
Think of your spouse if there is a big age difference. How will they fare if the market tanks and you are too old to return to work?
From what I've read, the RMDs are not designed to be a safe withdrawal rate and instead I believe the RMDs are designed to deplete the IRA account by the time the person is 115, so there should be enough money in the account for another 30 years if your husband is 85 now at the 7% withdrawal rate. So yes I would agree that it may be psychologically uncomfortable to see the RMDs result in declining IRA account balance but that is actually what is meant to happen.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:51 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
if you did not account for sequence of the returns than it is way off as spending down in down years is not the same as spending down in up years

I'm not sure what you mean. I used the historical returns of the mentioned investments, with annual rebalance back to 50/50 at the beginning of each year. The withdrawal is what it is... you can see the actual dollar amounts in the table. Of course the draw does not go up every year, since I'm not doing the usual 4%+COLA draw like Trinity Study and others used.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Rmd’s are not based on a safe withdrawal. Rate . It is the opposite. A safe withdrawal rate needs to be consistent in good and bad times. An red can vary greatly since it is different every year. Plus the older you get the greater the draw. Just the opposite of what makes sense.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I used the historical returns of the mentioned investments, with annual rebalance back to 50/50 at the beginning of each year. The withdrawal is what it is... you can see the actual dollar amounts in the table. Of course the draw does not go up every year, since I'm not doing the usual 4%+COLA draw like Trinity Study and others used.
Okay, if you used each years actual performance in order then yes you did it right.. I think it is close to kites numbers for 60/40.. 2000-2015 came in right in the same range as the other bad periods balance wise which were 1907,1929,1937. It was not as bad as the worst period 1965/1966 which failed

Old 08-02-2018, 05:19 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Okay, if you used each years actual performance in order then yes you did it right.. I think it is close to kites numbers for 60/40.. 2000-2015 came in right in the same range as the other bad periods balance wise which were 1907,1929,1937. It was not as bad as the worst period 1965/1966 which failed
Well, I'm not using the same withdrawal method as Kitces. I'm not saying either one is right or wrong, they're just different.

Also, the sequence risk manifests itself differently with the method I used. The end balance will be exactly the same, regardless of the return order. It's because every operation in the math is a multiplication, and the order of multiplication does not affect the final outcome. Instead, the sequence risk shows up in the withdrawal amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing