Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 02:37 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Yes, but that's $3,120 on a $1.3M portfolio, and $31,200 on a $13M portfolio. And this was a mild day. There were days in February with 2.4% losses (and more). So that's $312,000 on a $13M portfolio.

It should be an investment rite-of-passage, when one experiences one's first 6-figure daily loss... on a portfolio almost entirely in index-funds... by no means all of which, is in equities.

But let's go back to that $130K portfolio. Has its owner earned $312 today, at his regular day-job?
many here have not yet hit the level of investment where even small percentages in dollar terms can shake even the most seasoned investors .

it is like a 7% drop represents little in dollars to those without full fuel tanks yet . that may be a few months in 401k contributions .

but as time goes on in dollars those drops can be staggering to see .

that 7% drop is 9 years of maxing out my 401k at catch up . that is a freakin lot of dollars to watch evaporate even if just temporary .

i am only 40-50% equities today and i have already seen more than a 40k drop in one afternoon .

so i know what you mean by that rite of passage lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:34 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I have about 130k of my own money to invest, but anytime I put it in I worry so much and check the stocks at least every hour everyday! The problem is I'm a very tight person who likes to take risks if that makes sense. I just can't bring myself to invest and forget. Then if he market or a stock I was thinking of buying goes up a lot, I drive myself crazy over it. I stopped investing for a year because of this. Is anyone else like this and how do you cope?
I'm baffled..according to you in past threads you had it all figured out and always beat the market..what are you worried about? Or was all that perfectly timed shorting just a lot of talk?

Old 05-27-2018, 01:10 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'm baffled..according to you in past threads you had it all figured out and always beat the market..what are you worried about? Or was all that perfectly timed shorting just a lot of talk?
So what's your point? I was obsessively checking my stocks when I was making those gains. I have beat the market so far in the past 6 months since I started reinvesting. What does he have to do with losing money on future trades? That just means I now have more money i can lose and I was still scared when I was making all those gains and still scared now.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
So what's your point? I was obsessively checking my stocks when I was making those gains. I have beat the market so far in the past 6 months since I started reinvesting. What does he have to do with losing money on future trades? That just means I now have more money i can lose and I was still scared when I was making all those gains and still scared now.
My point is..you want your cake and eat it too. You want to put big time risky bets on the market for the big payoff without obsessing about it. Well it doesn't work that way. Big gambles provide big risk and ...well... people worry when there is big risk involved. You can easily not obsess by doing what most people do and take a diversified portfolio that pays off in a smaller range with less risk. Up to you.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:01 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
A manager is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Pay someone an average of 25% of my gains. No thanks! I'd prefer to buy and hold and index fund.
Actually its NOT. As mathjack said most of the time small investors that obsess over the market make very stupid mistakes that cost them.
Now not sure where you got the 25% amount from?

Old 05-27-2018, 06:15 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Actually its NOT. As mathjack said most of the time small investors that obsess over the market make very stupid mistakes that cost them.
Now not sure where you got the 25% amount from?
Average market gains are 8% a year. If you give someone 2% of your portfolio that amounts to 25% of your gains.

And obsessing over the market would happen no matter if someone else is investing it for you or you are investing it yourself. Why would someone else investing my money have any effect in my worry. It would make me worry more! If I could give it to someone else to buy and hold in an index, I could just as easily do it myself. I'm just CHOOSE to not buy and hold right now and accept the worry.

The investors who would give their money to a manager are not the trading type. They are the buy and hold type anyways, so your example is flawed. The buy and hold types that hire money managers just are too stupid or not educated enough to know they could just buy an index fund on etrade themselves for $10.

Last edited by Berteau; 05-27-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 06:55 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
And obsessing over the market would happen no matter if someone else is investing it for you or you are investing it yourself.
You will either figure out how to handle your anxiety and obsession or you won't. If you don't, and you continue to invest, you'll feel deeply every bump along a long journey. If that's pleasurable to you, go forth.

Some people on this forum appear to enjoy angst, gnashing of teeth and worry of investing, even in broad-based index funds. They claim they don't get pleasure from that worry, but they obviously do at least on some level. Maybe you'll find some kindred spirits and make some new friends among those folks.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Average market gains are 8% a year. If you give someone 2% of your portfolio that amounts to 25% of your gains.

And obsessing over the market would happen no matter if someone else is investing it for you or you are investing it yourself. Why would someone else investing my money have any effect in my worry. It would make me worry more! If I could give it to someone else to buy and hold in an index, I could just as easily do it myself. I'm just CHOOSE to not buy and hold right now and accept the worry.

The investors who would give their money to a manager are not the trading type. They are the buy and hold type anyways, so your example is flawed. The buy and hold types that hire money managers just are too stupid or not educated enough to know they could just buy an index fund on etrade themselves for $10.
I actually agree on paying someone to do what any idiot can do. S&P fund...40-60 percent
(depending on your risk tolerance) ...overseas 20 percent...bonds rest. done.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:02 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:

you can get good mgmt for 1% or less today and market averages have been 9-11% over typical accumulation periods spanning decades . .

if i wanted my money managed i would go to the company founded by the author of a random walk down wall street , burton malkiel . they charge a fraction of a percent and use index funds . it is called rebalance ira . they have a great mgmt team with the likes of charlie ellis too .

https://www.rebalance-ira.com/

Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,681 times
Quote:
I have about 130k of my own money to invest, but anytime I put it in I worry so much and check the stocks at least every hour everyday! The problem is I'm a very tight person who likes to take risks if that makes sense. I just can't bring myself to invest and forget. Then if he market or a stock I was thinking of buying goes up a lot, I drive myself crazy over it. I stopped investing for a year because of this. Is anyone else like this and how do you cope?
You cope by buying and holding only low cost stock index funds which have never lost money after 30 years but have increased by 10X to 50X in any 30-year period since 1926.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing