Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 05:17 PM

106,800 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I am not exactly a permabear, I post equally when bullish or bearish. However, I think it's prudent not to look at the markets with rose colored glasses and ignore the bearish risks.
The problem is not ignoring the bearish risks ...it is the fact if you give your brain any reason to think about losing money it will start pounding you to react poorly .......

Your brain can’t rationalize well when really money is on the line .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 05:41 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,725,963 times
I would venture a guess the majority of people who post on these threads are actually long term investors (or at least intending to be if they're just starting out). Posting "OMG watch out, random DimwitAnalyst from craptasticCableTV said there could be bad earnings next week leading to possible big drops for the next couple months and starting the next big bear!!11!" is unhelpful for anyone who focuses on being in the markets on a long-term basis.

"Watch out" is nonspecific. Is the advice long term investors should sell? What should they sell and how much should they sell? When exactly should they repurchase? If these important questions do not have specific answers then what value is being offered in sounding an alarm, once again?

The best advice is what I was told right after the '87 crash when I had just opened an IRA a couple weeks before. "Ignore It! Don't panic and don't even look at that account. An IRA is to be used for retirement someday, so keep going, keep contributing and it will work out." And 32 years later...that was then and still remains good advice.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:43 PM

I lump watch out with the unactionable saying live below your means as being two meaningless uses of the words in the English language..

Great advice but what do you do with either ..

Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,305,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I lump watch out with the unactionable saying live below your means as being two meaningless uses of the words in the English language..

Great advice but what do you do with either ..
Ugh come on MJ --- "live below your means" is what I've done for decades.... what do you mean it's unactionabale??

Old 07-14-2019, 05:51 PM

I have stated why it is meaningless over and over ....means is variable , it changes frequently....what really counts is the ratio of discretionary vs non discretionary spending you have ......everything can fit under your income but if it is all non discretionary and your situation changes you have no where to adjust when things are all non discretionary.....

How to spend and how to decide how much to allocate to what has very little information out there and most people have no clue as to how much should be devoted to non discretionary, spending vs discretionary spending vs how much goes to savings , how much for retirement, etc..

That term really means nothing when you get down to it ....

Old 07-14-2019, 05:54 PM

"Live within your means" is very actionable and has simple arithmetic as its basis.

- If your pay is $5,000/month then certainly don't spend over $5,000/month for everything (housing, food, transportation, entertainment, savings, etc)
- Put a specific % of your $5,000 away in savings/retirement each month, let it grow and don't touch it.
- Don't run up credit cards that cannot be paid off in such time so that no interest is ever incurred.

In contrast, "watch out" could mean any number of things, which have nothing at all to do with money or investing and have nothing specific to do other than "watching."

Old 07-14-2019, 06:05 PM

We will disagree once again because without a certain minimum amount of non discretionary spending built in the fact you are under budget with no where to cut back if need be would not be a good situation....

Just being under can mean little when means changes and everything in budget is non negotiable.

That is why we never moved to Manhattan ... budgets would be identical to now , both under our means ...but mostly all of that budget would be fixed with little discretionary income as a buffer ... so just spending less may leave you in a bad way..

That ratio of discretionary to non discretionary spending is what counts not just the fact the bills are less then you take in

Old 07-14-2019, 06:07 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,305,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I have stated why it is meaningless over and over ....means is variable , it changes frequently....what really counts is the ratio of discretionary vs non discretionary spending you have ......everything can fit under your income but if it is all non discretionary and your situation changes you have no where to adjust when things are all non discretionary.....

How to spend and how to decide how much to allocate to what has very little information out there and most people have no clue as to how much should be devoted to non discretionary, spending vs discretionary spending vs how much goes to savings , how much for retirement, etc..

That term really means nothing when you get down to it ....
I don't know what that means, I'll boil it down to the simple

Spend less (or better yet, much less) than you bring in. Invest the rest of it, and get a decent return.
Retire early.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:07 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #302, lottamoxie View Post
I would venture a guess the majority of people who post on these threads are actually long term investors (or at least intending to be if they're just starting out). ...snip...
We are fairly short and conservative in our discretionary accounts. I figure we may have maybe 5 years of good mobility. This year to date, we were barely able to walk 4 blocks, level ground (too much farm work). And other health issues. Our mobility is improving with physical therapy. We have always eat healthy and good BMI numbers. Current Age 69/72. A big fear of mine is a greatly diminished discretionary and not being able to do the things we want to do.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM

If someone is paid $5K/month and that's all the income they have, their means is $5K/month ($60K for the year). It will be that until it changes. That's regardless of how they choose to spend their money each month. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing