Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 05:57 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times

Advertisements

All the previous market downturns, I was too lazy and neglectful to pull my retirement out of stocks, and then I kicked myself afterwards. But we did it today. Moved everything (which had all been in a very broad stock index fund) into money market. This is the longest bull market we've ever seen, and I don't see any justification for it.

Now I have to figure out where to invest the money in anticipation of a downturn, that will allow me to jump back into stocks 'when there's blood in the streets'. Yes, I'm trying to time the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 06:02 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Yes, I'm trying to time the market.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:08 PM

199 posts, read 184,152 times
Quote:
All the previous market downturns, I was too lazy and neglectful to pull my retirement out of stocks, and then I kicked myself afterwards. But we did it today. Moved everything (which had all been in a very broad stock index fund) into money market. This is the longest bull market we've ever seen, and I don't see any justification for it.

Now I have to figure out where to invest the money in anticipation of a downturn, that will allow me to jump back into stocks 'when there's blood in the streets'. Yes, I'm trying to time the market.

When will you get back in? What if the market increases 25% over the next two years and then drops 20%? Will you buy back in then? You'd still be behind.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:08 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
LOL. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,058 times
Quote:

I think you did the smart thing. Upside before the election (well before) is probably in the 28-29K range. I think once it hits that range there will be a substantial downturn before the election. As Selden would say "THEY" want a reset sooner than later. Lots of bad debt and malinvestments out there. Trump is the easiest person in the world to blame it all on. He bragged it was all him on the way up, so on the way down......

This reset has been in the making for multiple administrations now, but "THEY" know that Trump will be the easiest candidate to blame it all on and have the average mouth breather in the public go along with the narrative. I think the only question before the election is does it get bad or REALLY bad. Much better buying opportunities ahead. Aside from a few beaten down individual stocks I am long the dollar and UUP right now.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
......This is the longest bull market we've ever seen, and I don't see any justification for it..
There seem to be quite a few people who talk about the "longest" bull market. A bull market means rising prices. We have had at least a couple of major setbacks.

The DJIA hit a peak in Nov 2014 and took almost 2 years to return to that level.

The DJIA hit a peak in early Jan 2018 and has yet to hit a new peak.

Neither of those events was consistent with a bull market. I don't see ,aside from guessing and pessimism, any reason to expect some sort of recession or significant bear market.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:26 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
When will you get back in? What if the market increases 25% over the next two years and then drops 20%? Will you buy back in then? You'd still be behind.
Actually if you were up 25% and then dropped 20% you’d be even

Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,940 times
Quote:

Put it all on 7.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:56 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,961 times
I've been thinking about doing the same by month end. At least money markets paying 2.2%

Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
This reset has been in the making for multiple administrations now, but "THEY" know that Trump will be the easiest candidate to blame it all on and have the average mouth breather in the public go along with the narrative. I think the only question before the election is does it get bad or REALLY bad. Much better buying opportunities ahead. Aside from a few beaten down individual stocks I am long the dollar and UUP right now.
Who are these nefarious "THEY"?

If your narrative encompasses "multiple administrations", then by what reasoning do we disqualify 2000-2003 and 2007-2009 from being adequate "resets"?

And if things "get REALLY bad", by what reasoning ought we to be "long the dollar"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing