Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 04:48 PM

13,700 posts, read 9,797,550 times

Advertisements

Prognostication is fun, no? Our friends at Vanguard try their hand at making prognosis, or at least at assuaging the delicate constitutions of skittish investors, with a quarterly publication, such as this one, for the ensuing decade (yes, decade): https://advisors.vanguard.com/insigh...R:307676059743 .

Highlights:

* Expect US value to strongly outperform US growth. Indeed, for growth the prognosis is another lost-decade.

* Largely the same performance across US small-mid-large cap. So, what matters is value vs. growth, and not size of the company.

* Expect substantial out-performance by ex-US global equities, vs. US equities.

* All bonds will struggle even to just beat inflation.

* US REITS will have comparable cumulative performance to that of US equities.

Opinions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 05:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 5,122,083 times
I agree with the value tilt. Nearly everything I've purchased since the November election can be considered part of the value camp. I don't expect US growth to have such a horrible "lost decade" as 2000-2009, but I do expect value will be better over the next 5-10 years.

Agree with the bond assessment.

No strong opinion on REITs. I no longer own any REITs, mainly because I dislike how they are incorporated. IMO it's better to give companies the freedom to retain or distribute free cash flow as they choose.

No real opinion on global equities. I suppose someday they will have their time in the sun, but personally I don't see any need for foreign equity exposure.

Last edited by hikernut; 03-29-2021 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 08:47 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,832,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
well, ex-US is sucking even now, when is this so called outperformance that you speak of going to materialize? They have been saying that for years now, ex-US continues to have terrible underperformance.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,815 posts, read 58,384,592 times
Advice / Observations seem about a qrt too late (behind as usual).

Yes... we can all see (hear) this. I wonder if Vanguard Perspectives and Fidelity Insight subscribe to Yahoo Finance!

Maybe there is only ONE Finance writer for these big name companies who are so good at forward (?) looking research and trends.

Not sure how it would sell it's expertise if they just told the truth... "We really don't know what is gonna happen". Or they could just publish their results of PAS for various wealth thresholds and strategies.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:58 PM

30,916 posts, read 37,087,679 times
Quote:
Prognostication is fun, no? Our friends at Vanguard try their hand at making prognosis, or at least at assuaging the delicate constitutions of skittish investors, with a quarterly publication, such as this one, for the ensuing decade (yes, decade): https://advisors.vanguard.com/insigh...R:307676059743 .

Highlights:

* Expect US value to strongly outperform US growth. Indeed, for growth the prognosis is another lost-decade.

* Largely the same performance across US small-mid-large cap. So, what matters is value vs. growth, and not size of the company.

Opinions???
Who knows?

It makes sense that value would outperform growth for quite a while now, but it hasn't happened for any sustained period of time yet.

Same for equities outside the U.S. But it hasn't happened for over a decade.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:13 AM

107,211 posts, read 109,563,580 times
The popular newsletter many of us get has sold any international funds for now

Old 03-30-2021, 03:48 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,415,179 times
Quote:
Prognostication is fun, no? Our friends at Vanguard try their hand at making prognosis, or at least at assuaging the delicate constitutions of skittish investors, with a quarterly publication, such as this one, [B]for the ensuing decade (yes, decade)[/b]: https://advisors.vanguard.com/insigh...R:307676059743 .

Highlights:

Opinions???
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future'” - Yogi Berra

Or Like Vanguard founder John Bogle said:
"Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack."

Old 03-30-2021, 04:45 AM

107,211 posts, read 109,563,580 times
Then you have to hope there is a needle in it .you could pay more buying the haystack then the needle is worth too.

Everyone’s definition of buying a hay stack is different too ...are we talking buying a fund for every asset class or just an s&p fund or are we taking a total market fund ?

You can take good diversification and turn it into diworsification all to easily.

Confusing a portfolio with wish washy assets that move one way at one time and another way another time yet it is the same economic condition is an example .

So I am not big on buying the hay stack .. i am big on matching assets to economic outcomes , not each other

Old 03-30-2021, 12:29 PM

13,700 posts, read 9,797,550 times
Were all lovers to have been serenely faithful and sated, all nations settling their disputes without war, all college-exams passed with well-directed and straightforward study, and all deaths quietly in a comfortable old age, then we'd have no material for novels, poems or paeans to human creativity. Uncertainty redeems us all; without it, ought I even ever write?

If I only spoke with knowledge that was true and certain, my mouth would find usage only for breathing and eating (this being a family-friendly forum). Alas, words! We'll know eventually, won't we?

Old 03-30-2021, 02:46 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,415,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Then you have to hope there is a needle in it .you could pay more buying the haystack then the needle is worth too.

Everyone’s definition of buying a hay stack is different too ...are we talking buying a fund for every asset class or just an s&p fund or are we taking a total market fund ?

You can take good diversification and turn it into diworsification all to easily.

Confusing a portfolio with wish washy assets that move one way at one time and another way another time yet it is the same economic condition is an example .

So I am not big on buying the hay stack .. i am big on matching assets to economic outcomes , not each other
Yes, all fair points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing