Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 36,079 times

Advertisements

For all you urban dwellers, try Iowa City. It is the cleanest city it's size I have been in for some time. It has an amazing variety of interests. I agree somewhat with CActus Sam's post, but am puzzled that he found Nirvana in CA. That is the one place I left eagerly and do not care if I ever see again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 08:31 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_at_a_typewriter View Post
For all you urban dwellers, try Iowa City. It is the cleanest city it's size I have been in for some time. It has an amazing variety of interests.
It's one of the places I've singled out as potential. I wonder how it is for those that are retired or disabled? For those that live independently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjens View Post
We can have cold winters, usually January being the coldest month with winds. We can have ice, but not like Missouri where the temperatures area always close to freezing so you get the ice. The last 5 years have been very mild -- very little shoveling or bad roads to contend with. Because we do have bad weather in Iowa, the highway/interstates do a really good job at cleaning the roads off and Iowa drivers are careful, for the most part.
Generally, what sort of quality are the roads? In cities or on outer highways. I heard that Missouri's roads are generally terrible - full of cracks and potholes from the climate hovering below and above freezing. My expectations are not high of Iowa's road quality, but I'm hoping that some roads get recently paved - especially for a comfortable ride when cycling. Particularily urban streets.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 8,363 times
Default Old school Iowan

Thought I would chime in since I lived in Iowa for over 12yrs. I now live in Portland, OR but I can give 10 reasons why Ottumwa, IA is better than a big city.

1)NO TRAFFIC
2)QUITE
3)LOW CRIME
4)MORALS
5)CHEAP HOUSES
6)LOW STATE INCOME TAX
7)NICE SCHOOLS
8)SLOW PACED
9)GREAT HUNTING/FISHING
10)NO TRAFFIC...did I mention that???

Old 10-15-2006, 11:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Default I agree except

for the state tax, plwhorse. It's just as high as OR. 8.98% max in IA 9% max in OR. Add in sales tax (none in OR) and you have high tax rates.

http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

To be fair I have to mention other taxes/costs.

Gas tax: IA 21.7 cents/gal - OR 24 cents. I think $/gal is less in IA
Cigs: IA 36 cents pack of 20 - OR $1.18 Wish IA was this high

Cost of living difference: Earning 100K in Ottumwa you need 117.6K in Portland.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Ottumwa, like a lot of other cities in IA is a good place to live.

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
Generally, what sort of quality are the roads? In cities or on outer highways. I heard that Missouri's roads are generally terrible - full of cracks and potholes from the climate hovering below and above freezing. My expectations are not high of Iowa's road quality, but I'm hoping that some roads get recently paved - especially for a comfortable ride when cycling. Particularily urban streets.
Varies widely depending on a number of factors.

What the last winter was like. The more freeze/thaw events, the worse the wear and tear on the roads.

The amount of money available for repair work. You never know what's going to be more important to the powers-that-be than roads (except for theirs)

Priority - some roads in Des Moines are an embarassment, but others are given a higher priority, usually for the amount of traffic going over them - or who lives on the street.

Weather - Again, if we have a long, rough winter there is less time to repair.

You get pretty good at watching for and dodging potholes, usually.

As for cycling I don't know because I don't ride anymore.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:55 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
for the state tax, plwhorse. It's just as high as OR. 8.98% max in IA 9% max in OR. Add in sales tax (none in OR) and you have high tax rates.

http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

To be fair I have to mention other taxes/costs.

Gas tax: IA 21.7 cents/gal - OR 24 cents. I think $/gal is less in IA
Cigs: IA 36 cents pack of 20 - OR $1.18 Wish IA was this high

Cost of living difference: Earning 100K in Ottumwa you need 117.6K in Portland.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Ottumwa, like a lot of other cities in IA is a good place to live.

speaking of this, does anyone know a good site where i can easily compare tax rates inbetween states and/or taxes of local counties/cities/towns? i've been able to find it for a few types of taxes(i.e. cigarette taxes(i'm sure because of the overblown hysteria about smoking that permeates the media...), sales taxes), but i haven't been able to find decent charts for primarily taxes that have to do with living or income(i.e. gas taxes, property taxes, etc.).

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 PM

Default It's there

in the post of mine you quoted. The first url has the gas/sales/cigs, etc.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 18,704 times
I've loved Iowa since I was a kid, but have always resided in Minnesota. I've met only nice people, some maybe spend too much time in their small towns but all in all are genuinely nice people. I think that one needs to spend some time in Iowa to see if it fits them, it's not going to be for everyone,but for some it is simply swell. Good Luck in your decision!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,330 times
Default winters in Iowa

You are SOOOOooo right!!!!
Cold winters are usually Blizzards with 20-30 below Zero. Steaming Hot summers ain't no joke. Can we say HUMIDITY? Taxes are Crazy...schools are closing and joining other schools to make BIG Institions. ALOT OF METH Problems, since there isn't alot to do...except shopping in the BIG Cities. Ohhh don't forget the Hog confinements that are continually growing in all surrounding small towns..and is you have allergy problems....Heyfever is a big problem along with harvest time..when all the farmers go into thier fields for harvest season.
Only positive side in Iowa....
Iowa does have some beautiful areas along the missippi river..and especially when it's fall...but that's about it.

Are winters pretty much the same in all parts of the state, or would you say that it is generally milder the further east one goes?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 14,251 times
i moved to dubuque from nj last year--- the people seem more caring here-- the pace is slower but there are theaters, movies, malls, jobs aren't easy to come by- but i guess thats true anywhere
car insurance is incredibally cheaper and apts. are too
i really like it here much more than nj
if i had unlimited money- i would def. live in new england
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa