Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,567 times

Advertisements

I have a question about the muslim culture. This question was presented to me and I don't have the answer.

Suppose a muslim couple went to an advocacy agency for counseling on a complaint of spousal abuse and the counselor was a man. Would the husband of the muslim woman allow a male counselor to talk to his wife alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 AM

570 posts, read 733,638 times
This question was formulated to attack Islam ...
They should try to understand the bases of Islam first before ask a sub qustion like that ...
We dont believe or use advocacy agency if the womans husbend abuse her she could go to Islamic sharia court and the judge will immediately do what is needed to deter the husbend .
Many women even got a divorce if so requested to the judge .
Our courts often stands by womens side .

Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
The question is a moot point to a Muslim. No practicing Muslim would go to non-Muslim advocacy for help. That is a situation that could not occur to begin with.

Spousal abuse is not a civil matter, it is a criminal offense. the woman has the right to file criminal charges.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
The poster didn't mention a non - muslim advocacy centre and I find it hard to believe that the muslims don't have any (it would be a sore omission in muslim culture if there were none) but would the man leave his wife alone with a male advocate?

Would anyone in that situation, muslim, Christian or Hindu? Quite apart from natural suspicions, of course both persons should be there to put their views and hear the feedback.

The question is unreal and rather artificial and I rather agree with Squall that it was constructed in the hope of making some propaganda point against Islam, though I fail to see just what.

Perhaps the poster might explain just what the point is they are trying to make.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-12-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 AM

285 posts, read 297,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldwin View Post
I have a question about the muslim culture. This question was presented to me and I don't have the answer.

Suppose a muslim couple went to an advocacy agency for counseling on a complaint of spousal abuse and the counselor was a man. Would the husband of the muslim woman allow a male counselor to talk to his wife alone?
Islam is collection of Lord's laws and statements and it is very prefect. Islam never support a Muslim who has done an illegal action and if his crime be unfolded for Islamic judge he has to tolerates its punishment or penalty.

women are respectable in Islam as men and nobody is free does an injustice act about them even their parents. Also Islam counts their boundary and character very reverent and has ordered to women observe their character and dignity as well. Lord has ordered to women don't allow strange men arrive in their private boundary for their grand character be protected. Islam allowed to women do what men do but only in their own boundary and has promised them if women do such their prize will be eternal heaven. In Islam women can , educate , drive ,play , work , sport, be wealthy ,be owner , be employee , .......but only as for their character boundary and as Squall said Islam strongly support women's right

Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
We haven't been to counseling but my understanding is that "couple's" counseling is exactly that, "couples" and if individual counseling is deemed necessary, they get separate counselors for that. Frankly, I think an abused woman would do better with a female counselor anyway!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We haven't been to counseling but my understanding is that "couple's" counseling is exactly that, "couples" and if individual counseling is deemed necessary, they get separate counselors for that. Frankly, I think an abused woman would do better with a female counselor anyway!
You are correct. In the cases of an abused woman a woman counselor is almost always the woman's preference among woman of all and no faiths.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You are correct. In the cases of an abused woman a woman counselor is almost always the woman's preference among woman of all and no faiths.
As one might expect. I remember a cartoon of a female marriage councillor turning from a wife blubbing into her hankie to the husband.

"Let's hear your side of it...you beast!"

Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The poster didn't mention a non - muslim advocacy centre and I find it hard to believe that the muslims don't have any (it would be a sore omission in muslim culture if there were none) but would the man leave his wife alone with a male advocate?
There are Muslim doctors, counselors, therapists, etc in nearly every country were Muslims live. A Muslim is free to pursue any career he/she desires. It is the individuals responsibility that they do not conduct their chosen profession in a sinful manner.

Typically in Muslim communities you will find a local Mosque. which is no more then an empty building were local Muslims can gather for prayer. In larger Cities you may find Islamic Centers which are built and supported by the local community. These may contain things such as Education, Libraries, counseling services, legal aid, food banks etc based upon the local communities needs. These can be run by Volunteers or people. They are paid by donations, the local Islamic Society if the area has one, fees, tuition etc.

Islam is not a very business oriented religion. Local Mosques may run some sort of business for support, often these will be things like book, clothing or food stores. In many smaller areas such as were I usually live the local Mosque has been either built or bought by an individual who owns it and serves as the Imam. He is the one who financially supports it and there are no collections of money. In most if not all of these cases they do not claim any type of tax-exemption.

I have learned from one of the forum members that in larger areas the Mosques are run more like a church with things like paid staff, various programs, a wide range of services. There they do accept donations from the community to support the various activities.

As for a woman being left alone with a man, the answer is no. By the same token a man would not be left alone with a woman, if he chose to have a female doctor or therapist etc, his wife, sister, mother etc would have to accompany him. People tend to overlook the restriction forbidding a woman to be left alone with a man is a 2 way restriction. It equally restricts a man from being left alone with a non-related woman

Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

As for a woman being left alone with a man, the answer is no. By the same token a man would not be left alone with a woman, if he chose to have a female doctor or therapist etc, his wife, sister, mother etc would have to accompany him. People tend to overlook the restriction forbidding a woman to be left alone with a man is a 2 way restriction. It equally restricts a man from being left alone with a non-related woman
I would think those rules would place quite the handicap on Muslims in the work place...There are many situations in businesses when men and women work together...The Muslim rule against this shows a complete lack of trust in not only the woman, but the man as well...This is bronze age thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam