Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 AM

430 posts, read 481,711 times

Advertisements

So, woodrow what other "fair treatment" of women would you suggest for America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:06 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
So, woodrow what other "fair treatment" of women would you suggest for America?

I do not recall ever suggesting any changes be made for America. A nation has the right to live by it's established rules and standards. If one can not live by them or tolerate them they should leave that nation.

My opinions are exactly that, my opinions, not what I believe should be imposed upon others.
I find the USA and all nations to have disparity and unequal treatment of the genders. But that does not alter my feelings or how I treat women. I do my best to treat all people fairly, and so far I have never been stopped for doing so nor am I aware of any laws I am breaking.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My opinions are exactly that, my opinions, not what I believe should be imposed upon others.
I find the USA and all nations to have disparity and unequal treatment of the genders. But that does not alter my feelings or how I treat women. I do my best to treat all people fairly, and so far I have never been stopped for doing so nor am I aware of any laws I am breaking.
but for you america is one of the worst abusers of women. so if its up to you, what would you change to make it better?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
but for you america is one of the worst abusers of women. so if its up to you, what would you change to make it better?

The laws do not need changing it is human attitudes that need to be. I feel that most American men do not equate women as people, but more as status symbols and decorations.

I also find that equal treatment of women is often very unfair to women. Women should no be expected to be equal providers in household expenses.

Yes there are areas in which equal treatment is fair, such as equal pay for equal work, equal opportunity for education, equal rights under the law.

But in other areas women in America are treated very unfairly

The expected standards of beauty for women
The need of a wife to be presented as a desired object to her husband's peers
The parading of women at fashion shows like show horses
Beauty pageants that dictate what beauty is
The choice of marriage being limited to what a woman's beauty can attract.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 AM

115 posts, read 261,761 times
Quote:
I do not recall ever suggesting any changes be made for America. A nation has the right to live by it's established rules and standards. If one can not live by them or tolerate them they should leave that nation.
Do you think it's already perfect and cannot be improved upon? Surely there must be room for improvement or nothing would ever change.

Could you imagine a world where nothing ever changed? We'd still be living in the 7th century.

So if it could be better, what would you change?

Last edited by Forum Registration; 03-09-2015 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: I was trying to squeeze a joke in there and messed it up

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Registration View Post
Do you think it's already perfect and cannot be improved upon? Surely there must be room for improvement or nothing would ever change.

Could you imagine a world where nothing ever changed? We'd still be living in the 7th century.

So if it could be better, what would you change?
I thought I mentioned that in the above post.

It is not laws that need to change.
What needs to change are attitudes. those can not be legislated.
In simplicity men need to treat all women as they would desire their mother to be treated.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM

I got it the first time, I did read it. I thought you were kind of avoiding the question so I was trying to dig a little deeper to see what you think about changes that inevitably happen as a society progresses.

If our founding fathers had said everythings perfect lets continue to be ruled by England, then that would not have changed. I think the revolution was a positive change for this country.

We used to have slaves but they changed that and I think it was a positive change for this country. If everyone said it was perfect then, we'd still have slavery now. Women used to not be able to vote, we changed that and I thing it was a positive change for our country. And even segregation, we changed that too.

Would you go back to those old ways now or do you think those were positive changes?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I got it the first time, I did read it. I thought you were kind of avoiding the question so I was trying to dig a little deeper to see what you think about changes that inevitably happen as a society progresses.
Rephrase- to see what you think about changes which must happen in order for a society to progress.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Rephrase- to see what you think about changes which must happen in order for a society to progress.
I have a tendency to separate personal growth from National or social growth.

I have found happiness in some very unpleasant conditions. I think I did the most growth the year I spent in a body cast.

Now for a Nation,I do favor all changes that promote beneficial growth. I do not advocate change, just for the sake of change.

Growth of a nation will evolve unless there are factors that prevent growth. It is actually quite difficult to stop growth. I might be an optimist but I believe that in time all societies will advance.

The changes that are needed will take place, but probably not at any pace we desire.
I do not have any formula I can hand you and say this is to be done to make America better.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The laws do not need changing it is human attitudes that need to be. I feel that most American men do not equate women as people, but more as status symbols and decorations.

I also find that equal treatment of women is often very unfair to women. Women should no be expected to be equal providers in household expenses.
And 31 percent of the women, and 21 percent of the men, said that they would prefer to be home caring for their families, if they had enough money to live comfortably
Women Are Becoming Equal Providers - NYTimes.com

looks like financial independence is what most women really want. but you are right, its the attitude that needs changing. men should spend more time raising the kids and doing house chores. that is what it means to be fair and equal. eh?

now i dont know what you mean by status symbol. are you referring to our manly desire of going after the most beautiful woman that will have us? its only natural. even women prefer good looking men, although they have a more broader view -taking into consideration other positive qualities.

you should really google the scientific explanation of why we are all hard-wired into going after physical beauty

Quote:
The expected standards of beauty for women
The need of a wife to be presented as a desired object to her husband's peers
The parading of women at fashion shows like show horses
Beauty pageants that dictate what beauty is
you are against those because of the islamic point of view that sexual attraction to women is wrong.

otherwise what harm does it do?

Quote:
The choice of marriage being limited to what a woman's beauty can attract.
no, american men are not that shallow.

The Type of Women that Men Want to Marry
http://gleedating.com/the-type-of-wo...want-to-marry/

15 types of women that men dont want to marry
http://love.allwomenstalk.com/types-...-want-to-marry

Last edited by sophion; 03-09-2015 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam