Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
One nutter opens a thread and the other nutters go haywire

Do you guys do other stuff, like grocery shopping and the like??
I send out, AC. I'm far to engrossed in reading and answering your timely and thoughful posts!

Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Don't you think this recent spate of Islamicist (if I may coin a phrase) threads merits the creation of an Islamic forum here on C-D? For heaven's sake--if not Allah's--they seem to be responsible for everything!

So put all this stuff in one phenomenal, irrefutable, awesome forum...and let the rest of us get on with our lives. Even if they don't happen to include a conversion to Islam.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM
TKH

35 posts, read 66,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
My gods, people. Are you so christo-centric that you don't even pay attention to history?

You do realize of course, that Western science owes its very existence to Arabic sciences? The current numerical system is Arabic in origin. It doesn't matter if you believe in the nonsense of religion or not. Arabic and Persian sciences basically saved the West from the Dark Ages.

Galileo, Copernicus, Brahe and Kepler all owed their education to the Arabic texts. These teachings were the basis of the Renaissance.
I agree, but since then a large portion of the Arab and Persian civilizations have stagnated, at best, or gone backwards, at worst. Their minds seem to be as tightly closed as a steel trap. It's sad, because the moderates, those who have the potential to produce world class science, philosophy, arts, have been crushed by the radical elements of those societies.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I hate to repeat, but it is worth remembering that the muslims got their numbers from the Hindus and their science from the Greeks. They merit some thanks for adopting and preserving the information but they actually invented rather little.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM
TKH

35 posts, read 66,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I hate to repeat, but it is worth remembering that the muslims got their numbers from the Hindus and their science from the Greeks. They merit some thanks for adopting and preserving the information but they actually invented rather little.
Well...you may be correct, but Wikpedia doesn't think so. BUT I agree with you, "what have they done for us lately", say the past 1000-1500 years are so.

================================================== =======

A significant number of inventions were developed in the medieval Islamic world, a geopolitical region that has at various times extended from Spain and Africa in the west to the Indian subcontinent and Malay Archipelago in the east.[1]
The inventions listed here were mainly developed during the Islamic Golden Age, which is usually dated from the 9th to 13th centuries.
Contents

[hide]

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 AM

I think you'll find they were mainly developments of existing technologies and inventions. The water - clock was greek, milling was ancient and so -on. It's true that there were some useful developments of existing technology in the Islamic world. The point is that we don't owe science intially to the Islamic world - they owe it to the non - Islamic world. The implication that we should somehow give some credit to Islamic religion because of the claim is not really to be credited.

Again, we are left asking only whether this misrepresentation and attempt to bamboozle us is down to over - enthusiasm leading to a sort of willing gullibility, or whether it's a deliberate attempt to decieve us.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times
So something positive like science development is thanks to Islam, not the area's culture, but something negative like honour killing is the area's culture, not Islam. Pick and choose, I guess.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKH View Post
Well...you may be correct, but Wikpedia doesn't think so. BUT I agree with you, "what have they done for us lately", say the past 1000-1500 years are so.
For a more modern synthesis try this article: Loo, Seng Piew, Islam, Science and Science Education: Conflict or Concord? Studies in Science Education, v36 p45-77 2001

A brief narrative description of the journal article:

The article focuses on the relationship between science and Islam in the context of science education. Describes Islamic science and whether it is a valid philosophy of science. Discusses islamisation or marginalization of science education. Discusses implications and offers suggestions for science education. (Contains 63 references.)

Old 10-06-2009, 02:37 PM

If I get time I may look at that, however, where Islam fits or conflicts in regard to science is a matter for Islam and their scientists. Ascribing science to Islam is a matter of history and is an overdrawn claim.

Off the top of my hear I would say that the Islam/science problem is the same as the Christianity/science problem. It may be no problem where there is no conflict but, where there is, science and indeed, rational thinking, may be compromised. In fact, you can bet on that.

P.s. Studies in Science Education, v36 p45-77 2001 seems something one must buy rather than Google and, truth to tell, comes rather low on my booklist. Perhaps you could point up any conclusions it reaches?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,794 times
part 2

YouTube - The hidden Islamic sciences, A MUST SEE PROGRAM (2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam