Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 PM

27 posts, read 37,455 times

Advertisements

while i do not believe in gods, i think that muslims at least have the upper hand in this faith thing. they are willing to die and follow the teachings of the Quran.
do you christians not have the faith to follow the words of Jesus? or do most christians ignor Luke 19:27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I know a couple of muslims, and none would even consider dying for their faith. Like any religion, there are the fundamentalists and the non fundamentalists.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUETZALCOATL View Post
Do Muslims have more faith?
This is a great question that can be easily answered by the Muslim. Ask them if they are sure if they will go to heaven. Listen to their answer carefully because it will reveal their level of faith in their religion.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:18 AM

to only follow what is convieniant to one's faith, only accepting the easy things makes it hard to believe that people really follow thier faith.
"do you believe in God?"
"yes"
"would you die to kill his enemies"
" well God only teaches love, and in the verses in which he stated "to kill his enemies" he was only talking about it in a spiritual way, not really killing them"
"makes it really easy to follow these teachings, faith is never tested, no sacrifice is ever asked of the "believer". it's like belief the light version."

Old 11-21-2009, 09:59 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Religious extremism is never acceptable. Religion should never be used as a tool to twist peoples' minds into believing that killing another human being is acceptable. In the Bible and the Koran, if you try to learn lessons then you will understand that God preaches that only killing should never happen - it is one of His commandments.

That said there are passages which imply that it is OK to kill, and in Christianity there are even guidelines from a saint which outline when it is acceptable to go to war (basically there's a shot at winning, there is a moral objective like freeing oppressed people, and that if one's existence is threatened then it's OK). But other than that, no, killing is not right.

I wouldn't say then that Muslims who preach violent jihad and go kill innocent people have more faith. I would say they've been brainwashed by other humans with agendas. I pray you understand the difference.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
No, it is just that in Islam, believing in Allah doesn't guarantee he will grant you entry into heaven, so they try to go above and beyond to give them a better chance of getting accepted in.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
I don't think it's more faith. It's that door thing in Kierkegaard concerning the knowledge of Choice itself. WIthout the door open we may have made the choice for the future and not know it. It only so far gets the opportunity to put effort into opening the DOOR.

In Islam we have no door. Choice is made: knowledge is here and now. Faith is for the objective reality i guess for some kind of brotherhood, some kind of memory, YA SURE...

Old 11-22-2009, 07:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times

Well, let's see now.... Just how is this measured, by the pound, or, pages of print?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

Well, let's see now.... Just how is this measured, by the pound, or, pages of print?
willingness to do what ever it takes, to please thier god.
we could not quantify it by the pound as americans tend to be heavier than middle eastern peoples.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:15 AM

55 posts, read 66,862 times
Muslims try to apply the teaching from quran and they hope to win and this life is exam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam