Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 56,897 times

Advertisements

wanna know what st.augustines like? .......watch jerry springer ...stupidity of this small town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,083 times
I love St. Augustine as a place to visit, but it's not worth growing up there. There are too many gangs and druggies to have to deal with.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 AM

22 posts, read 75,196 times
Is this true? The drugs and gangs and poverty stricken areas for kids in St. Augustine? Maybe Philadephia (where I was born) or Detroit? I mean I grew up in small town New England and there was nothing to do. But that means I played outside with my friends and used our imagination.

I live in Poland now where people make 800 dollars a month for an entire family and live on this with prices being the same in many regards (except rent is a little more). We read books for entertainment at the library. Most kids have old used books and read, what is so wrong with that, most are at home learning language for fun. I can not imagine that if parents are involved their kids would get corrupted in St. Augustine.

So how is it that is this seaside town in the beautiful USA could be a bad place for kids, unless the kids are latch key kids and the parents are not involved?

If parents are actively involved in the intellectual life, such as teaching them languages, books and chess and musical instruments, maybe even spiritual life, does it matter? This seems like a nice small town from a birds eye view.

Macro forms of entertainment are over rated in contrast to parents teaching kids languages and chess and music etc. Just my naive view point and I am not being rude or trying to prove a point, from my perspective it does not connect in my brain.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
I'm sure that St Augustine has its bad spots, just like every town in America does. No city is an Utopian paradise . Just as I am sure every town has its own Lunatic Fringe as evidenced by two recent posters in here. If you notice this thread died off over a year ago because the original idiot made such blatantly absurd statements, that no one cared to argue with the fool. "because if you argue with a fool...he will beat you with experience and after the fight onlookers will not be able to tell you apart". The same with contestant number 2 1 whole post and he thinks he is a fount of insight.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,445 times
Well said, Madcap. I don't waste my time posting rebutals to ridiculous posters.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
How is life in St. Augustine? I heard over and over what a beautiful town it is, but I have never been there. Would you recommend moving there and if yes, what areas are the best? Is it a safe and somewhat drug free and fun place for teenagers? (I have a 16 year old daughter). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It has a fort..the fort is old.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,849 times
Please, I have lived all over the United States, West Coast to East Coast. It is what you make of it. As for the "Come to St. Augustine for vacation, leave on probation", we had that same tired saying in Ventura California, Newport Beach California, Aberdeen, WA., Queen Anne WA., etc.
The schools are the best here. Just like anywhere, converse with your kid, be in their life, help with homework!
I will say there seems to be some kind of predator explosion and a lot of meth lab homes in Florida which has me looking to go elsewhere, but that is ALL of the state.
Pills, drugs, drop out...that is this generation. They were coddled as babies and think they deserve $50 K a year jobs for nothing. Every city, town, state has a drug issue, or strange fellows brewing. You get from your family and children what you put into them. ANYWHERE.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM

110 posts, read 182,973 times
Well that was objective and informative. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:06 PM

36 posts, read 177,515 times
Wow. Someone is an angry angry bitter little bird. I find it interesting that you call the locals white supremacists rednecks, yet go out of your way to specifically point out that blacks and white people who act like blacks live there as if they are bad and should be lumped together in the same sentence as the rednecks. I think they call that being a racist.

I have no idea how old you are, but your angst-ridden posts (as if you were still so angry and bitter not one, but two posts back to back were needed to spew your hatred) scream like a bullied teenager. The beach has nothing but preps and douche-bags? Really. No families with children, no older retirees, no touristy couples seeing the sites?

Oh, and btw, those horse buggies and trolley trains you hate so much that clog up traffic you want to get rid of? Yeah, those are what's keeping your city streets paved and paying to keep police on the streets to protect your freedom of speech as you spew out hatred against the city. Then again, you sound extremely young and no clue how economics works so I'll forgive you on that rant.

You said you've seen other places, but have wanted to move out of that place permanently? It's not the 1800's anymore. You can just pack your car and drive away, you know that right? I seriously doubt you have anything remotely worth staying for considering your venom postings clue us all in that you hate the place, hate the people, have no friends, and I seriously doubt you have a decent enough job that you couldn't find in another town somewhere else. Get in a car and leave. Simple. Go to another town, apply at McDonalds, find a homeless shelter or apply for section 8 housing til you get on your own. If you hate the place that bad, you would've left by now.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:23 PM

172 posts, read 239,491 times
This is a zombie post.

The lamenting post in question is almost 5 years old. Even in that short period of time, the town has changed quite a bit. Whatever vestiges of white trash that remained have since been pounded out to Flagler Estates and Elkton due to the parabolic rise in rent prices subsequent to the Great Real Estate Reckoning of 2008.

In 1980, there were rednecks living at the beach or downtown since you could get an apartment for $250.
By 2000, they had pretty much all been run off to out by the airport our somewhere off SR16. 2015, even some of those areas are bringing in $1K a month just to rent a double wide. Modest houses down in the Shores renting for $1K-$1500 all day.

Also, the company you keep is going to hugely determine your experience. There are pill heads and dopers in New York City, too, but they're only relevant to your life if that's the sort of people you choose to hang around with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville