Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM

9,396 posts, read 8,363,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Just as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't let one angry person on an anonymous Internet forum sway your important real life decision. I would investigate further on your own.
I would agree with this 99 times out of 100. However, given the sheer volume of vocal Litestream customers here and elsewhere, I would RUN the other direction if I needed fast/reliable internet for my livelihood:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...itestream.html

And if that isn't proof enough, the Better Business Bureau rates them an F (obviously their lowest rating):

Litestream Holdings Review - Services - General in Saint Augustine, FL - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Northeast Florida & The Southeast Atlantic

And in case you think City-Data is some conspiracy, here are a few other sites with brutal ratings of Litestream:

Litestream Holdings - Saint Augustine, FL | Yelp
Litestream Holdings Saint Augustine, FL, 32095 - YP.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I would agree with this 99 times out of 100. However, given the sheer volume of vocal Litestream customers here and elsewhere, I would RUN the other direction if I needed fast/reliable internet for my livelihood:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...itestream.html

And if that isn't proof enough, the Better Business Bureau rates them an F (obviously their lowest rating):

Litestream Holdings Review - Services - General in Saint Augustine, FL - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Northeast Florida & The Southeast Atlantic

And in case you think City-Data is some conspiracy, here are a few other sites with brutal ratings of Litestream:

Litestream Holdings - Saint Augustine, FL | Yelp
Litestream Holdings Saint Augustine, FL, 32095 - YP.com

Wow, an F, that's impressive! I wasn't implying they weren't bad, just saying I wouldn't let this forum make my ultimate decision for me on something as important as buying a house. I would do what you just did and research. Believe me, I need/want/love the Internet more than anybody, but if it was my dream house, I would find a way to make it work.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 PM

9,396 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Wow, an F, that's impressive! I wasn't implying they weren't bad, just saying I wouldn't let this forum make my ultimate decision for me on something as important as buying a house. I would do what you just did and research. Believe me, I need/want/love the Internet more than anybody, but if it was my dream house, I would find a way to make it work.
Good points.

This has been asked before but why not DSL? If your speed dips so low it would seem even a modest DSL connection would far exceed what Litestream is giving you.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:21 PM

297 posts, read 573,441 times
I have Comcast residential middle tier internet service (Blast, 50/10) and work from home. I only connect to a VPN for about a half hour at a time, but I've never had problems keeping the connection.

However, I do software training via screen-sharing application (similar to GoToMeeting) while at the same time speaking on the phone using Google Voice and an Obi, and having two browsers open with multiple tabs. I rarely have connection issues on my end. I got rid of cable TV and use my Roku or Chromecast every day, and rarely have disconnects while streaming.

I don't use Comcast equipment - I purchase a new modem and router every few years - so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'd never move somewhere with Litestream as the only option.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 PM

23 posts, read 52,504 times
Quote:
Just as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't let one angry person on an anonymous Internet forum sway your important real life decision. I would investigate further on your own.
I'm not the only one...just do a search on this forum about Litestream and you'll see for yourself...you can always move here anyway and see how bad it is for yourself

Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
If you work from home and depend on the Internet for your livelihood not just your leisure I could not recommend strongly enough not to move to Palencia or any community for that matter that has Litestream as the only choice for ISP.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:53 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd8tr View Post
If you work from home and depend on the Internet for your livelihood not just your leisure I could not recommend strongly enough not to move to Palencia or any community for that matter that has Litestream as the only choice for ISP.
The point that you don't seem to understand is that your level of difficulty may not be the reality of issue that everyone will have. We all know you are having some sort of issue that is grossly affecting your work from home situation. You would be hard pressed to find positive reviews about anything on the Internet from anonymous people on an anonymous forum. People only come here to moan and complain, hence it will be very easy to find other complaints. But we don't know if those complaints represent 90% of their customers or .9%, that's my point.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:30 PM

33 posts, read 88,149 times
I actually had decided on Palencia, and had selected a home design and lot.
However the Litestream service, plus the renewed contract made me change my mind.

Sadly, we won't be moving to Palencia, and it was entirely due to the horror stories I've heard about Litestream.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
The point that you don't seem to understand is that your level of difficulty may not be the reality of issue that everyone will have. We all know you are having some sort of issue that is grossly affecting your work from home situation. You would be hard pressed to find positive reviews about anything on the Internet from anonymous people on an anonymous forum. People only come here to moan and complain, hence it will be very easy to find other complaints. But we don't know if those complaints represent 90% of their customers or .9%, that's my point.
Is your other username CEO Litestream?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:53 AM

172 posts, read 239,390 times
Quote:
Some companies are notorious for awful customer service.

100 years from now, once the monopoly is broken up, Comcast will be the case study in what NOT to let your company devolve into.

I have no opinion one way or the other but can definitely recognized 'internet whining' from legitimate complaints. This persons complaints were all fact based, with clearly articulated failings.

As a 'outlying usage' internet consumer myself, I can totally recognize what I'm seeing as a completely legitimate potential issue. On one hand, you can respect the CEO for taking the time to address public complaints but it sort of reminds of me of "United Breaks Guitars".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

United found religion once the video went viral, too.
The problem is the months and months of agonizing customer service stonewalling that need to be addressed. Not the scrambling to address a 'public complaint'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville