Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:43 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd8tr View Post
I would definitely not be sad. If I had known how bad Litestream is for my particular needs, I would've never moved here in the first place. I would've saved myself a whole lot of money and the endless frustration I expereince on almost a daily basis. In short, there subpar service basically prevents me from doing my job.

I have never had these issues before with other ISPs, specifically Comcast. I am not saying they are the best either. In fact their customer service leaves nothing to be desired. Nonetheless, when I had business class Internet through them I had a constant high speed that never caused me to freeze or crash.

Maybe it wasn't just their speed. Maybe it was something else. Who the f$&@ cares whatever it was to all you f$&@ing IT experts out there. All I know is that when I worked I never had any f$&@ing issues with them.
Because your ISP makes your computer slow and/or crash

Clearly your Internet connection is important to you, and since you clearly didn't research it before-hand, sounds like you need to move. Somebody is going to be really lucky to get such a logical, level-headed, calm, upstanding guy like you moving in next door....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 AM

23 posts, read 52,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Because your ISP makes your computer slow and/or crash

Clearly your Internet connection is important to you, and since you clearly didn't research it before-hand, sounds like you need to move. Somebody is going to be really lucky to get such a logical, level-headed, calm, upstanding guy like you moving in next door....
I'm actually a great neighbor. I stay completely out of other people's business and lend a helping hand if they ask for it.

so with that being said, why are you even in this discussion thread?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd8tr View Post
I'm actually a great neighbor. I stay completely out of other people's business and lend a helping hand if they ask for it.

so with that being said, why are you even in this discussion thread?
I'm the voice of reason.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 PM

85 posts, read 202,839 times
Seems to me if the issues with Litestream were as bad as the OP makes them out to be, the residents of Palencia would have been storming the Litestream offices with torches and pitchforks. But instead, they voted to renew Litestream's contract. Considering that dissatisfied customers looking to change providers should have been coming out in droves to cast their ballots, whereas those happy with the status quo might be less inclined to send in their forms, I admit I was even a little surprised by the returns.

We live in Palencia, and my husband works from home...for a large technology company...and while he does have the occasional connectivity issue, it hasn't been worse than any other provider we've had in the past. Heck, my friends in Julington Creek were completely without internet and cable (Comcast) most of today.

Palencia does have a lot going for it, and most of us love our neighborhood, as evidenced by the number of residents who choose to build another home in the neighborhood when it is time to upgrade, or find a smaller property in the neighborhood when looking to downsize. It does sadden me to think that someone who fell in love with our beautiful community would be frightened off by supposed internet issues.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 AM

23 posts, read 52,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilfaith View Post
Seems to me if the issues with Litestream were as bad as the OP makes them out to be, the residents of Palencia would have been storming the Litestream offices with torches and pitchforks. But instead, they voted to renew Litestream's contract. Considering that dissatisfied customers looking to change providers should have been coming out in droves to cast their ballots, whereas those happy with the status quo might be less inclined to send in their forms, I admit I was even a little surprised by the returns.

We live in Palencia, and my husband works from home...for a large technology company...and while he does have the occasional connectivity issue, it hasn't been worse than any other provider we've had in the past. Heck, my friends in Julington Creek were completely without internet and cable (Comcast) most of today.

Palencia does have a lot going for it, and most of us love our neighborhood, as evidenced by the number of residents who choose to build another home in the neighborhood when it is time to upgrade, or find a smaller property in the neighborhood when looking to downsize. It does sadden me to think that someone who fell in love with our beautiful community would be frightened off by supposed internet issues.
All I can say is everyone's needs are different and I may be an outlier in that respect. Nonetheless, I've never experienced this poor of a service from an ISP for my particular needs bar none.

These are not supposed issues. These are my unfortunate daily reality.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM

172 posts, read 239,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilfaith View Post

Now, take that same poll but this time, limit it to tech industry professionals who work from home/telecommute and live in Palencia, tosee what they think. The whole point of the OPs post- which was very clearly laid out- was that for people who have HIS USAGE TYPE, Litestream internet may be woefully inadequate.

Just because a bunch of low-footprint users (90%+ of all users) voted to keep a service that is 'good enough' for their low level needs doesn't change the fact that for people who need more, said service may NOT be good enough and its important that others who share similar needs know that.

It reminds me a lot of the old Craftsman Tool vs (Expensive Pro Grade Brand) debate.
If you are a regular Joe homeowner, a hobbyist, even a SERIOUS automotive hobbyist, Craftsman tools offer one of the better values in a tool set today. They are precisely made, pretty durable and their warranty is without peer in their price point. For the money, if your usage needs fit within what they offer, there is no better bargain. However if you are someone who works on airplanes every day, 10 hours a day, for 300 days a year, your tool usage footprint will be entirely different and you WILL have a need for a more robust, professional grade brand.

"YEAH WELL I'VE BEEN USING CRAFTSMAN TOOLS FOR 30 YEARS AND MY PAPPY USED THEM AND THEY ALWAYS WORKED FINE FOR US!!!" ... which is all good and dandy, but it isn't the point.

Seems the takeaway from this thread is that tech industry professionals should avoid communities that are limited to Litestream service. Simple enough. The home-teamers squealing at the OP apparently don't under the basic logic of this.

Last edited by StAugustine; 02-06-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Now, take that same poll but this time, limit it to tech industry professionals who work from home/telecommute and live in Palencia, tosee what they think. The whole point of the OPs post- which was very clearly laid out- was that for people who have HIS USAGE TYPE, Litestream internet may be woefully inadequate.

Just because a bunch of low-footprint users (90%+ of all users) voted to keep a service that is 'good enough' for their low level needs doesn't change the fact that for people who need more, said service is NOT good enough and its important that others who share similar needs know that.

It reminds me a lot of the old Craftsman Tool vs (Expensive Pro Grade Brand) debate.
If you are a regular Joe homeowner, a hobbyist, even a SERIOUS automotive hobbyist, Craftsman tools offer one of the better values in a tool set today. They are precisely made, pretty durable and their warranty is without peer in their price point. For the money, if your usage needs fit within what they offer, there is no better bargain. However if you are someone who works on airplanes every day, 10 hours a day, for 300 days a year, your tool usage footprint will be entirely different and you WILL have a need for a more robust, professional grade brand.

"YEAH WELL I'VE BEEN USING CRAFTSMAN TOOLS FOR 30 YEARS AND MY PAPPY USED THEM AND THEY ALWAYS WORKED FINE FOR US!!!" ... which is all good and dandy, but it isn't the point.

Seems the takeaway from this thread is that tech industry professionals should avoid communities that are limited to Litestream service. Simple enough. The home-teamers squealing at the OP apparently don't under the basic logic of this.
Wrong. He hasn't indicated his usage is any different than anyone else other than he requires a VPN connection for his work. And the "12 to 15" he's being limited to is making his VPN disconnect.

Your metaphor above may apply to him if he were running some sort of massive movie piracy FTP site or something where he needs massive amounts of bandwidth. His work VPN doesn't fall into this category, 12 to 15 down, which he claims he's getting is more than sufficient to connect to your work file shares and systems through a VPN. We've been using a VPN since the dial-up days, speed isn't the issue.

Again, it probably still sucks, but your insistence on this line of logic is just as baffling as the OP's nonsense he's spouting.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:54 PM

85 posts, read 202,839 times
If you are someone who works on airplanes every day, 10 hours a day, for 300 days a year you need a better union.

Obviously Palencia is not the ideal community for everyone. When we first moved to northeast Florida, we looked at the neighborhood but decided it was too far from my husband's office in downtown Jax. If you absolutely need to be within five minutes of a Target or Publix or CVS, you might not be happy here. If your bandwidth requirements exceed Litestream's capabilities, Palencia may not be the neighborhood for you. No neighborhood can be all things to all people. Fortunately, the region has plenty of communities from which to choose.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:18 PM

172 posts, read 239,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Wrong. He hasn't indicated his usage is any different than anyone else other than he requires a VPN connection for his work. And the "12 to 15" he's being limited to is making his VPN disconnect.

Your metaphor above may apply to him if he were running some sort of massive movie piracy FTP site or something where he needs massive amounts of bandwidth. His work VPN doesn't fall into this category, 12 to 15 down, which he claims he's getting is more than sufficient to connect to your work file shares and systems through a VPN. We've been using a VPN since the dial-up days, speed isn't the issue.

Again, it probably still sucks, but your insistence on this line of logic is just as baffling as the OP's nonsense he's spouting.
The assumption is that whatever usage he's engaged in, its outstripping the ability of Litestream to provide.
15 down is pretty decent as far as basic work types, but there are outliers where its not... and then he's on a VPN.

Is it possible that the OP is just bitching that he can't DL full movies quickly but pretexting it as something else? Sure, but taking the guy at face value, his complaints here seem valid, even if the picture isn't crystal clear.

1) He is getting throttled, even if 15 down is 'good enough for damn near everyone'

2) Their customer service was non-responsive.

That alone is enough to rip your hair out when you are locked in with no other options.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:22 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,369,560 times
I think you guys are getting caught up in the bandwidth issue (which could certainly be frustrating, especially when you're promised and paying for higher speeds). But I can tell you my #1 concern with any of these providers is CUSTOMER SERVICE. Without knowledgeable, honest, trained CSRs it can literally make you crazy. Once I actually cursed out a poor CSR at Centurylink after they no-showed for the third time to set up my DSL (which was my only option). Excuses, lies, etc. just made me explode and while it surely wasn't the CSRs fault I was at my wit's end with them, so I can understand everyone's frustration with Litestream as the problems are both the shoddy customer service and the service itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville