Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 AM

36 posts, read 115,655 times

Advertisements

...so I may as well keep it going.

In response, I say:
1) It’s hot and muggy - well, no DUH! IT'S FLO-RI-DA!! I will take that humidity and heat (only really bad 3 months, maybe?) over NJ's cold, dank weather 6 months of the year which gives me dry, cracked skin (which is physically painful) and seasonal depression (which is emotionally painful).

2) First of all, I'll have Disney in my backyard - it's a DAY trip now! Second of all, how about beachcombing as a hobby? How about swimming & fishing as a hobby? Cool ocean breezes where I don't have to share my beaches with half the rude, selfish, rich-b**** soccer moms, speedo-wearing jock dads and their spoiled brat offspring of Philly & NY? I'll finally be able to enjoy the Atlantic Ocean again, even if I DO have to move out of state to do it... Goodbye, Tony & Tina!!!

3) A condo sounds like a good idea, anyway. Besides, at least in the south I won't put a lot of care & effort into my plants to watch them die & not come back next year! I WANT tropical plants like plumeria, bird of paradise & ginger!

4) I love bar-b-que joints. And hush puppies and grits (well, not grits) and all the new things I'll be able to eat that are part of moving to a new place! And GOOD SEAFOOD restaurants, which we seem to be sadly lacking in NJ. Even if we had them, I'd be afraid to eat it with all the toxins!

5) If I want Italian delis, importing companies and independent bakeries, I will have to look for them, or see it as a BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY! All the people from up here who move down to Fla. & complain they can't find anything could make me RICH!

6) I need to spend more time in the mall like I need a hole in the head. I need to save money for a house & my kids' education, so Walmart & Target will suffice nicely. And I like Beall's - now I have somewhere to get Hawaiian shirts! ALOHA!

7) Traffic is bad everywhere. At least it doesn't cost me $4 to cross a bridge, $3 to use a highway and then watch that money be passed out to political cronies of the governor.

8) I love flea markets. See #6.

9) I only like football, and I like rooting for the home team, wherever "home" is. The same spoiled rich people from Philly who ruin my summers at the Jersey shore are the same yahoos who have a stranglehold on all the Eagles season tickets and will hold on to them for the next 40 years, so I never had a chance in hell of seeing an Eagles game in person in my lifetime, anyway. I CAN get tickets to a Jacksonville game! Go Panthers!

10) Since I am paying so much to live in Jersey, I can't AFFORD to enjoy Cape May. ($250 a night/2 night minimum for OFF-SEASON bed & breakfast?!?! Get over yourselves...)

I am planning on making Jacksonville my home - and it looks like it has everything I think I'll need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocklawaha View Post
THanks Abvbguy, glad we agree on somthing, I have a hunch a hell of a lot more then we let on. As a Marylander, raised from infancy in Jacksonville, the rebel blood runs deep and sarcastic. Counting among family Quantrails Raiders, Wallace and King Robert Bruce. So I'll play the devil, tonge in cheek.

Rugby Metal, you can have Cape May, been there done that. Hand frozen to the frick'in bow rail, ice on my nose and ears, wind howling... yeah read the book "To Hell In A Row Boat"... (I haven't written it yet). Y'all just remember the TRUE STORY OF JAWS didn't happen in Florida. It didn't even happen close by. It was in Mattawan, NJ in 1916. The story is also known as The New Jersey Man Eater. Go ahead look it up. Trouble is, the California crowd with the camera's couldn't believe anyone in the Northeast would be dumb enough to get in that dirty water, so they moved the set to Florida. Nice job NJ, export all your horrors to Florida, then ***** about them.

Ocklawaha
Pour another Rebel Yell!
the matawan tale is somewhat true, but matawan is hardly a shore tourist town

Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
Here's another Burma Shave ad for you:

Welcome y'all
To the Jacksonville sprawl
Ain't Nu Yawk or Joizey
Don't want it to be
If Jax ain't yer fit
Just gas up and split

Old 02-24-2008, 05:12 PM

58 posts, read 170,954 times
It is funny how the two states are constantly compared here. And it's interesting, to me at least as a current NJ person considering St. John's County. Regarding the colleges, I think that academically, UF can more than hold its own with any college in NJ, except Princeton, of course. (Certainly with Rutgers.) Having UF within easy driving distance and the availability of Florida's GREAT tuition program should probably be on that 10 things to know list.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 PM

133 posts, read 526,995 times
Cool Food Groups

Very True, don't like it? Go home.

Whats a crawl-daddy? (Well why don't you follow me into the swamp and I'll show you, hee hee)

Now about that "REAL FOOD" we all hear about over and over...

You know when I was in Jersey, I found:

The Pecan Pie taste's like little Debbie's plastic pants.

The Grits are not to be found, Oh the humanity, no where to find grits? Ask one of the Delis and you get a rude answer, "we serve REAL food... as it some birthright (at the end of a Yankee gun) gives Northern food superiority?

Blacked fish isn't

Sweet Tea, Oh are you diabetic?

Boars Head AIN'T BBQ, BBQ without sauce ain't BBQ!

Who eats bitter turnip greens? Yankees!

What the heck is boiled cabbage? It drips when they try and put the corn beef on the Kaiser roll. Dip sticks.

Why do New Yorkers and New Englanders, or Yankees as a whole think Key Lime pie has to be bright green and taste like MSG?

apbvguy is right, the Jersey Man Eater story is somewhat true, fact is it did happen in the weirdest place even for NJ...The land time forgot. But though it bears little similarity to the JAWS MOVIE, it was the authors inspiration.

Ocklawaha

Old 02-24-2008, 06:49 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocklawaha View Post
Very True, don't like it? Go home.

Whats a crawl-daddy? (Well why don't you follow me into the swamp and I'll show you, hee hee)

Now about that "REAL FOOD" we all hear about over and over...

You know when I was in Jersey, I found:

The Pecan Pie taste's like little Debbie's plastic pants.

The Grits are not to be found, Oh the humanity, no where to find grits? Ask one of the Delis and you get a rude answer, "we serve REAL food... as it some birthright (at the end of a Yankee gun) gives Northern food superiority?

Blacked fish isn't

Sweet Tea, Oh are you diabetic?

Boars Head AIN'T BBQ, BBQ without sauce ain't BBQ!

Who eats bitter turnip greens? Yankees!

What the heck is boiled cabbage? It drips when they try and put the corn beef on the Kaiser roll. Dip sticks.

Why do New Yorkers and New Englanders, or Yankees as a whole think Key Lime pie has to be bright green and taste like MSG?

apbvguy is right, the Jersey Man Eater story is somewhat true, fact is it did happen in the weirdest place even for NJ...The land time forgot. But though it bears little similarity to the JAWS MOVIE, it was the authors inspiration.

Ocklawaha
there's a lot to be said for NJ food, try getting a pork roll in FLA, face it NE FLA is not NJ, there are many differences but those differences are to me things to be learned about and enjoyed, but please no grits

Old 02-24-2008, 07:32 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
It's bar b que heaven here
and great beaches galore
For the "NJ is better crowd"
You're becoming a bore.
... Jacksonville

Old 02-24-2008, 07:32 PM

133 posts, read 526,995 times
Default Grits

Try South of the border... Dominican Republic, Colombia, etc.. they cook the grits into small cake patties called AREPA. (Air-ape-ah). Some use hominy others yellow corn meal. The brick ovens in the Andes with the cedar wood and the fresh white cheese are to die for. Something like soft cornbread. There's an authentic Colombian/Mexican place out on beach near the Intercoastal in the Big Lots Center. Try the Arepa with egg or the empanada's for something original.

Empanada's: bite off the end, fill with lime (called Lemon) juice or with the hot sauce.

Ocklawaha

Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 AM

75 posts, read 204,077 times
Default Not So!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I have to add: RUNNING RED LIGHTS (just as the light turns from yellow to red) is an art form here. Timing is essential.

No red light cameras here.
There are cameras going up all over. Another tip: Don't mess with JSO. They can be you best friends or your worst nightmare. Nobody wants to see the inside of the downtown jailhouse and the leagle system here is all about making money so it's garanteed to cost you if you mess up. Mess up bad enough and you may even get shot! So you can say that the local goverment is trying to "keep the order". Does seem like I'm seeing more law than I used to out on the street.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
Does seem like I'm seeing more law than I used to out on the street.
It's about time, don'tya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville