Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalboy View Post
If you think west palm beach is bad look at this

Actual Reported Population and Crimes:

Palm Beach,FL Jacksonville, FL
Population: 10,083 795,259
Murder: 0 91
Forcible Rape: 0 189
Robbery: 3 2253
Aggravated Assault: 7 4067
Burglary: 19 8998
Larceny Theft: 151 29583
Vehicle Theft: 15 4936
West Palm Beach??? I was robbed in Palm Coast, FL. I am not saying that the crime in Palm Coast is bad.. Palm Coast is just a all around horrible place to live (not because of crime). I never hear of anything happening in Palm Coast.. This "city" is sooooooooo small! lol! Of course a city with a population of 795, 259 will have more crime than a city with a population of 10,083. I dont understand why people dont understand that?? Any city will have crime.. the larger the city the more crime.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:03 AM

13 posts, read 56,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
West Palm Beach??? I was robbed in Palm Coast, FL. I am not saying that the crime in Palm Coast is bad.. Palm Coast is just a all around horrible place to live (not because of crime). I never hear of anything happening in Palm Coast.. This "city" is sooooooooo small! lol! Of course a city with a population of 795, 259 will have more crime than a city with a population of 10,083. I dont understand why people dont understand that?? Any city will have crime.. the larger the city the more crime.
not really sometimes smaller cities are more high in crime then larger cities it just depends on how bad the city is

Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 10,933 times
How is the crime off of 9A and Alta Drive?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 22,841 times
Jezz, after reading this forum, I'm crossing Jacksonville off my list. Any other suggestions? I guess I'll go back to plan B, North Carolina... :-(

Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM

That's to be researched now. But I got freaked out about JAX. I was there 10 ago for a week and I loved it. I live in a very nice/quiet area in NJ, but I want to go South.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 PM

35 posts, read 131,786 times
Any metro area/big city is going to have crime in the bad parts of town, there are always poverty stricken areas where crime runs high. I live in Dallas which has some of the worst crime anywhere, however I know where to go if I wanna get car jacked and I know where to go if I want to avoid that element.

Usually you can live in the nice suburbia areas and avoid that. There are spots closer to downtown where two blocks one way you have million dollar condos and two blocks the other you are in the hood and that holds true for most large cities.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 PM

The big difference for me is, that for example, a very bad area here is Paterson (NJ), but I won't get shot or mugged just by walking downtown Paterson. Police presence is very strong everywhere in NJ. I love Florida, and would love to move somewhere to the North. I found a lot of "cheap" 2 bedroom apartments in Jax, around $900... I guess I'll keep doing more research. Don't take me wrong about my previous posts, but this thread is pretty alarming. Easy for someone to get lost and end up in the wrong part of town.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
The big difference for me is, that for example, a very bad area here is Paterson (NJ), but I won't get shot or mugged just by walking downtown Paterson. Police presence is very strong everywhere in NJ. I love Florida, and would love to move somewhere to the North. I found a lot of "cheap" 2 bedroom apartments in Jax, around $900... I guess I'll keep doing more research. Don't take me wrong about my previous posts, but this thread is pretty alarming. Easy for someone to get lost and end up in the wrong part of town.
maybe you will maybe you won't in paterson but try walking around in Newark, East Orange, Irvington and see what your chances are like.
Just remember that you get what you pay for and while it is likely that you'll find some $900 apartments in jax, they will not be in the better areas.
Try jax beach for cheap apts. also try craigslist

Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromMissouri View Post
I'm from St. Louis, MO and currently reside there as well and I can tell you that the crime statistics can be quite misleading if you are reading them for a city as a whole. Anyone looking to move to St. Louis would be literally, horified at the stats that we have. However, with that said, I live on the south side of town and have never had a problem with any bit of crime other than maybe some kids breaking into my car. It's truly WHERE you live whether it be St. Louis or JAX that determines how vulnerable you are going to be. Don't go by stats alone.
I agree. I lived in Jacksonville for 18 years - Northside, Riverside, Baymeadows/Southside areas and never had a problem. When I moved to Dallas, I was frightened about the high crime stats but once you're here you realize that the crime is largely concentrated in certain areas. You can be the victim of crime anywhere so just stay alert, don't wander in places you don't know very well (particularly at night) and practice all the other safety controls that we read about.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
By all means cross Jax off your list if you choose to, it makes no difference to me, but you said it yourself - it's the thread that is alarming.

This is a forum of people's opinions - some of these people are intelligent, reasonable people and some are morons.

When the topic turns to crime, people will post to tell you that the sky is falling and bullets are flying all around them......oh, really ?

For most crimes to occur, there has to be an opportunity.

At home, I keep my doors and windows locked, my fence locked and my garage door down at all times. I lock my car doors as soon as I get in my car. Why? Because it's 2007.

No matter what city you choose, there will be crime on some level, so know where the worst parts of town are and don't live there, don't even live near there. Find the BEST parts of town and try to live THERE, or NEAR THERE. Then lock your doors, have your guard up, be smart and lessen the criminal's opportunities.

I've been in Jax/Jax area for appx a decade and no crime issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville