Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
My best friend is morbidly obese and he has never called off sick in 30 years working for Goodyear!! He has only been my BF for about nine years so not sure if he was obese the entire 30 years, but I can say he has been obese the nine we have been friends. I know some lazy, calling in sick every other week skinny people too!!
I almost fell off the bed laughing, sorry but the Goodyear got me...lol.

Have we seen him floating over football games?

I have little empathy for this woman, she was 260 pounds to start with on a 5ft 4 inch frame, now she has put on another 100 pounds...there is more than job loss going on there.

Why do you think insurance has gotten so outrageous in the US? Because of all the fatties.

It is disturbing when you look around and see so many obese people.

No, to answer the question she will not get hired. She might want to look at work from home assignments since she has strong technical skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Let's be real, you don't lose weight by exercise. Exercise doesn not burn enough substantial calories if you do not drastically change your diet.
In actual fact, the overweight expend MORE energy with LESS exercise than their "skinny" counterparts. The overweight have MORE to gain faster from exercise.

Most (even mildly) overweight persons have become adept at minimising their energy expenditure. They tend to "conserve" their activity. Slender people tend to MOVE more. As always, the only "secret" is to eat LESS and move MORE, pretty simple really.

As far as being discrimination in hiring, last time I looked being obese was not a "protected class".

Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
In actual fact, the overweight expend MORE energy with LESS exercise than their "skinny" counterparts. The overweight have MORE to gain faster from exercise.

Most (even mildly) overweight persons have become adept at minimising their energy expenditure. They tend to "conserve" their activity. Slender people tend to MOVE more.
This.

Building muscle tissue is the most efficient way to reduce fat. Muscles burn more calories throughout the day, disabling your body from storing calories as fat. Even when you're sleeping, muscle tissue burns calories.

Exercise and caloric restriction, both, are best for losing weight. Losing weight has nothing to do with what you eat, so don't even fall into that misconception. Whether a person eats 1000 calories of doughnuts or 1000 calories of lettuce, the net impact on weight gain or loss is the same. The thing to consider, though, is that it takes about 4 heads of lettuce to equal 1000 calories, while it takes like 3 doughnuts.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

As far as being discrimination in hiring, last time I looked being obese was not a "protected class".
I actually tried to look this up. It can be considered a medical condition and then that would be discrimination.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Obesity does fall under ENDA. Thank god I'm exempt!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post

If you were a hiring manager would you strongly consider a woman who was 5 foot 4 360 pounds for an administrative job in your company?
If her former supervisors gave her raving reviews, her skills were sharp and ready for the present position, her personality traits would add to the group, and there wasn't a better suited applicant in competition for her job, then the answer is "Yes, of course."

I do have to admit that I would wonder about her self-management capabilities. I give her the benefit of the doubt regarding stress eating; I am subject to that myself. I think gaining over 100 lbs in less than two years is a stretch on that concept. Ten a year, maybe, but 100? Work life is inherently stressful. When the going gets tough, employers want someone that can remain on the job, and not running to the pantry, (or the smoker's nook).

Many employers will ask an applicant what she did while not finding work. In my experience they want to know that the time was spent productively, because they want to know this person is ambitious, hard-working, and industrious. I wonder how your friend would answer that question?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
If you were the employer, would you hire her? As a former business owner, I know I'd be thinking about how she would raise the company's collective medical insurance premium, and also cause me trouble to accomodate her size. No way.
There is also an, possibly unfair, assumption that if a person cannot control their eating they lack something in their character.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 AM

154 posts, read 526,685 times
I find that once you get to the interview process most candidates are going to arrive with the same technical skills. The final decision on who to hire will really come down to: work style fit, energy, salesmanship, appearance and likeability. A hugely overweight person could get a job if they were vastly superior to the other candidates in all the factors except their appearance. But I am afraid her huge odd shaped body leaves such an impression when you see her that most employers do not give her a chance to sell herself on the other hiring factors.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I am in no position to hire anyone, but if I was (and I couldn't be sued for it) I would never hire anyone who was obese or a smoker. Those are two groups that would unnecessarily raise the company's health care costs.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I have to say that two of the temps we added here are overweight females. So the weight issue may not be a factor. But who knows, really. Every company is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search