Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

You hate to keep it a secret because you never know who can help you but some folks are just to annoying and nosey.

There are a couple of people that I see daily, it seems they keep asking "did you find a job yet?".

Not only do they ask but they'll ask in public places and all of a sudden ALL EYES ON ME.

Not that I am ashamed of being unemployed but man it get's old.

There's this one guy that I really want to tell to stop asking me. But I need to figure out a nice way to tell him.

It's bad enough that I am looking for work but when folks keep asking you every darn day, it gets annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
I agree with you 100%.

It's NEVER "How are you doing"

It's ALWAYS "Have you found a job yet"

People don't care how you are doing. All they seem to care about is are you working yet.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I agree with you 100%.

It's NEVER "How are you doing"

It's ALWAYS "Have you found a job yet"

People don't care how you are doing. All they seem to care about is are you working yet.
Yup, you nailed it.

As I sit here a type this, I am thinking about a situation in which I am sorry I opened my mouth.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Is BP still hiring? JK

Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times
Let it go; people mean well. Just tell them when you do land a job, they'll be the first to know.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 PM

In some cases people might mean well, but in others they are just looking for info to go and spread to others about you. I know that for a fact.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
In some cases people might mean well, but in others they are just looking for info to go and spread to others about you. I know that for a fact.
I have to agree with this.

People love to gossip about the affairs of others. One guy I was talking to was telling me all about another guy that we know. I immediately thought "damn, this dude sure does talk a lot"........he'll probably tell everyone about my unemployment situation as well.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I have to agree with this.

People love to gossip about the affairs of others. One guy I was talking to was telling me all about another guy that we know. I immediately thought "damn, this dude sure does talk a lot"........he'll probably tell everyone about my unemployment situation as well.
Of course he is going to tell others about you. This is what I mean by some just looking for gossip.

If people really mean well, then why not offer people jobs? Or offer to pass along resumes? Instead of being so judgmental and inquisitive about someone's employment status, why not help someone? But that NEVER happens. All they do is ask the question and make judgmental faces. Then they move on to another subject about you.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:47 PM

387 posts, read 532,809 times
Yes. They make a face like they just smelled spoiled milk i.e., three year old behavior.

Quote:
Of course he is going to tell others about you. This is what I mean by some just looking for gossip.

If people really mean well, then why not offer people jobs? Or offer to pass along resumes? Instead of being so judgmental and inquisitive about someone's employment status, why not help someone? But that NEVER happens. All they do is ask the question and make judgmental faces. Then they move on to another subject about you.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I wouldn't be so quick to regard all such comments as coming from a negative stance. Some people may come off to you as being intrusive or gossipy but you can also look at it from the standpoint that they're genuinely concerned about you and are wishing you success in the job search. It's fanciful to suggest that people who ask should be offering their help in finding you a job as they're probably in no position to do so and don't have any contacts to throw your way. I know several people in the unemployed boat and haven't been the recipient of any hostility when asking them, "How's the job search going?" as I'm concerned about them and they know that. By the same token, if I hear of someone looking for help I'm the first to let those unemployed know. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search