Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Well, no I wasn't, why do you ask?
Koale
I've never heard of anyone outside the ghetto burning a bridge because someone yelled at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Wink Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I've never heard of anyone outside the ghetto burning a bridge because someone yelled at them.
Maybe you've never known anyone w/any self esteem? If you like people yelling at you, that's your scene. I don't. I don't allow it and I don't care who it is. If it means 'burning a bridge' then it's probably a bridge I don't care to cross. So, what's your real point in being rude?
Koale

Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Maybe you've never known anyone w/any self esteem? If you like people yelling at you, that's your scene. I don't. I don't allow it and I don't care who it is. If it means 'burning a bridge' then it's probably a bridge I don't care to cross. So, what's your real point in being rude?
Koale
To flesh out your personality a little so that the kid can see from where your advice comes.

People with good self-esteem don't worry about someone yelling at them occassionally. Their self-image isn't that fragile. They recognize that the person yelling has something they may want someday so they apply good political responses to avoid further mistreatment while maintaining the quality of the bridge. That's my opinion.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Wink oh...

Quote:
To flesh out your personality a little so that the kid can see from where your advice comes.

People with good self-esteem don't worry about someone yelling at them occassionally. Their self-image isn't that fragile. They recognize that the person yelling has something they may want someday so they apply good political responses to avoid further mistreatment while maintaining the quality of the bridge. That's my opinion.
lol... I need a doughnut...

Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
While the recruiter certainly didn't act very professional, you were in the wrong. If you get an interview through a recruiter all communication going foward should only be with your recruiter. That is how it works. The recruiter talks with the company and you talk with the recruiter.

If you don't like those rules don't use a recruiter.
This is proper procedure.
The recruiter "flew off the deep end" because they/she probably felt you were trying to "go around her", which, in turn would mean her/the agency's fees would not be paid by the company looking to hire.

But, in all fairness, this should have been explained to you when you were interviewed by the recruiter, and failing that is on her. And so is her unprofessional behavior yelling at you like that.
Be prepared that this has been a learning experience and most probably will not be called again for this position, or any other. That is, unless her placement fee with this company is at stake because the company wants to hire you. Be assured, if the company wants you, she will call you, but never again.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
Quote:
lol... I need a doughnut...
Me too. Always. Well...maybe not need. But is sure enough often feels like a fine line.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:03 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I am not "ghetto" either but scream at me like a banshee and we are done. If I make a mistake do to simply not being aware of proper procedures most especially if the recruiter did not spell those procedures out at the beginning I expect to be treated in a professional manner. I am expected to present myself professionally to the recruiter am I not? This works both ways. Of course I am only using myself as an example fortunately this has never happened to me because I know the rules. I still think the recruiter was over the line she could have very simply explained the correct procedure to the OP instead of going off the deep end. Standing up for oneself, respecting others and expecting the same is not "ghetto" it is simply good business.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Talking Well said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I am not "ghetto" either but scream at me like a banshee and we are done. If I make a mistake do to simply not being aware of proper procedures most especially if the recruiter did not spell those procedures out at the beginning I expect to be treated in a professional manner. I am expected to present myself professionally to the recruiter am I not? This works both ways. Of course I am only using myself as an example fortunately this has never happened to me because I know the rules. I still think the recruiter was over the line she could have very simply explained the correct procedure to the OP instead of going off the deep end. Standing up for oneself, respecting others and expecting the same is not "ghetto" it is simply good business.
Tookey gets a doughnut...

Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Tookey gets a doughnut...
Hmmm. doughnuts. - Homer Simpson

Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:

I disagree. I went 20 years in the workforce without being yelled at once. Then I worked at a place where the boss felt free to raise her voice to me. I told her flat-out that her yelling was inappropriate, that no one had ever raised their voice to me in a professional setting, and that I would expect not to be treated that way.

She tried to "yell" at me through email a few months later, and I called her on that, too.

When she raised her voice at me in person a second time, I stood up, announced I was quitting, and that was the end of that. Sorry, she had nothing that I need or want for my professional growth, and because she had been told repeatedly by other people around the company, including people senior to her, that as long as I was around, she looked good, I'll take it as confirmation that she needed me more than I needed her.

Last edited by Yzette; 11-12-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search