Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,382 times

Advertisements

I read every resume of every person who applies for my jobs. Granted, I can blow through many of these resumes in about 8 seconds. I understand that people need jobs and that they're willing to do anything. However, if I have one job to fill and people who have relevant experience apply for them along with people who don't have relevant experience (though could be trained to do the job), I'm going with those with relevant experience. Why wouldn't I?

That said, I see some horrible resumes. 11 pages? Really? All caps -- why are you yelling? Ever heard of spell check? I'll go so far as to suggest that people put why they left their jobs on their resume. Why wouldn't you do that? Especially if you've changed jobs often. Maybe the changes were your choice. Maybe they weren't. I can't know either way unless you tell me. I also tell people to tell me what they were doing when there are big gaps in their resumes. Were they a stay at home mom or dad? Were they in prison? On a sabbatical? Taking care of a sick relative? Or, as I ran across last week, is your spouse a professional athlete so you move often/follow him during the season?

Please don't make me create your story. Tell me! It helps you out so much! Promise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 AM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
I read every resume of every person who applies for my jobs.
You had me at the first line. Right there, you told me that you do more than 90% of managers out there. You sound like an excellent (yet overworked) boss.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
if you were fired from a previous job, can an employer find out even if you do not write down that previous job on an application?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
if you were fired from a previous job, can an employer find out even if you do not write down that previous job on an application?
We live in a high tech world. Just about anyone can find out anything about anyone they want to with minimal effort these days.

I think you're missing the point of my thread. I'm not talking about omitting negative employment stints on your resume. I'm referring to leaving out some of your accomplishments or experience in order to secure an interview for an employment position that is below your level of expertise (or what the company requires for it's desired qualifications).

Old 08-12-2011, 12:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Just curious if there are any other people out there who are selling their achievements short on their resume in the hopes to find ANY type of work. It seems companies these days are looking more for fresh out of high school newbies that they can mold (or even ex-cons in some cases).

Do you have a Bachelors degree, possibly a Masters, or maybe even a Doctorate? Do you find yourself rediculously overqualified for jobs that are below your level, but slightly underqualified for the jobs you really want due to the required experience desired by the prospective employer?

My question really has no bearing on where you went to school, or what your degree is in (as long as it was an accredited institution), because the question is assuming that the job you are applying for does not require an advanced degree (or possibly any degree at all), and you meet the necessary minimum qualifications for the position.

How many people out there omit some (or all) of their achievements to find any kind of work?
If I have to dumb down my resume it's probably a job that won't pay my bills and not worth having.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If I have to dumb down my resume it's probably a job that won't pay my bills and not worth having.
There's a difference between taking a job that allows you to survive and one that gives you everything you want in life. But, until that PERFECT job comes around and you actually GET THE JOB............

We live in a time when explaining to a potential employer that the gap in your work history exists because you were not going to settle for anything but the perfect job just doesn't cut it anymore.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There's a difference between taking a job that allows you to survive and one that gives you everything you want in life. But, until that PERFECT job comes around and you actually GET THE JOB............

We live in a time when explaining to a potential employer that the gap in your work history exists because you were not going to settle for anything but the perfect job just doesn't cut it anymore.
Not the perfect job but a job that will keep me in my apartment-lol

Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not the perfect job but a job that will keep me in my apartment-lol
See, this is where it gets interesting. I'm not talking about applying for a minimum wage job flipping burgers or a carwash. I'm referring to applying for a semi-decent job that is workable with a half decent wage, but your quals, education, and prior job experience still put you well ahead of the rest of the people applying.

Sure, it's not your dream job, but it is a good enough job to give you what you need until "the one" comes around (and you actually get it! LOL!).

Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
i did it to get a retail job, i left off my degree and my job that i got paid 20 dollars an hour, got a call back the next day and the job..when i applied at the same place with the degree and the the job i got nothing

Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
My MIL's neighbor did this. He was an engineer for one of the big 3 auto companies. He worked there 15 yrs and got laid off. He was unemployed for over a year and then decided it was either starve to death or get some sort of job. He had two kids in HS and he was holding out till they graduated, plus he owned a house that was underwater so leaving the area wasn't an option. He was a bartender in college but when he applied at some bars he got the same thing, "You have an engineering degree, what are you doing applying here?" They figured he wouldn't stay so they didn't hire him. He left his degree off his resume and down played his position at the auto company. He worked in a bar for about a year till his kids graduated and then started applying for jobs out of state. He got a engineering job on the east coast somewhere, did a short sale on his home and left. I think dumbing down a resume is more common that people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search