Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM

404 posts, read 1,148,221 times

Advertisements

^^I hate filling out applications too. I avoid filling out applications at all costs. I usually snoop around the company website to see if I can find the email address for HR or someone in the department I'm applying to. I just sent my cover letter and resume to about 90% of the jobs I applied to. I usually catered my cover letter to each job. I only filled out an application if I really liked the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,789 times
Wow congrats!!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Congrats!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 PM

145 posts, read 610,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
^^I hate filling out applications too. I avoid filling out applications at all costs. I usually snoop around the company website to see if I can find the email address for HR or someone in the department I'm applying to. I just sent my cover letter and resume to about 90% of the jobs I applied to. I usually catered my cover letter to each job. I only filled out an application if I really liked the job.

Companies get thousands of resumes for one job listing. I recently interviewed for a position (going into 2nd interview tomorrow). The interviewer stated they received 600 resumes and only posted the job over one weekend. He pulled 25 people to interview. I am in IT and have had experience at looking at the online application process from the "back-end."

The reason you need to fill out the online apps is because the online application software performs a keyword search. It matches up the number of words in your resume that match the job description. The higher number of matches means your application is more likely to get chosen.

HR hiring personnel are busy people. Why? Because not only are they looking through the apps that came in online and passed the keyword search.. but they are OPENING by hand hundreds of mail from people who sent in the application by mail and manually looking for matches to the job description. Keep in mind there are alot of people applying for jobs that are not even in the field, have the qualifications and frankly do not care what they apply for as long as they are meeting the required quota to continue receiving UI benefits.

My suggestion to job hunters is to fill out the online apps. Use a site like careerbuilders.com so you can easily apply for jobs without having to resubmit your resume each time. Get on LINKEDIN.com and put your profile out there, and network with former co-workers.

The old way of mailing resumes is DEAD. I would also suggest if you have experience, use a CV format for your resume. Sell yourself...

When I go buy a car, I do not want to see who owned the car and what features they used and what year. I want to just see a list of the features. I want to know if it has what I am looking for. Hiring personnel are the same.

At the top of my resume. I list my features/skills and then I put what position I used my "features" or skills. Do not make the hiring manager have to READ every line to figure out what your features are.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,607 times
it just really pisses me off and frustrates me that employers, jobs want you have to experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life

Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,212 times
good news

Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Congratulations on landing. Five months is not that long in this depression.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
it just really pisses me off and frustrates me that employers, jobs want you have to experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life
Internship

Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,607 times
and I finally got a job interview

Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
and I finally got a job interview
congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search