Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
congrats
thanks, yeah it's a start, i know the goal is to get hired but often times when you apply at so many places, not only do they not hire you, but not even an interview, so not even half a chance, well i'm glad i received half a chance, hopefully things go good tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 01:52 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Congratulations and best of good luck to you!!!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
And the moral is? 400 jobs to apply, 16 interviews and you could too have a job in the desired field, did I get that right?
The moral is. . .hard work, persistance, and determination will land you a good job in the field of your choice! To the opinion poster say I, thank you for demonstrating that having a "NO-F_CKING-QUIT" attitude does pay!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Congratulations and best of good luck to you!!!!!
Thanks, just got home like an hour ago from the Interview, went by pretty quick, went faster than expected

Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 AM

165 posts, read 323,167 times
congrats!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The moral is. . .hard work, persistance, and determination will land you a good job in the field of your choice! To the opinion poster say I, thank you for demonstrating that having a "NO-F_CKING-QUIT" attitude does pay!
That pretty much sums it up. For 5 months NOTHING was handed to me. I had no unemployment checks, bad interviews, rejections from potential dream jobs, been intentionally hung up on during phone interviews, and no responses after interviews.

Also limit your time on this forum. It's easy get trapped in the negativity of "this economy sucks" and blame everything for your unemployment. Moping and being angry doesn't do anything to help you land a job.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
That pretty much sums it up. For 5 months NOTHING was handed to me. I had no unemployment checks, bad interviews, rejections from potential dream jobs, been intentionally hung up on during phone interviews, and no responses after interviews.

Also limit your time on this forum. It's easy get trapped in the negativity of "this economy sucks" and blame everything for your unemployment. Moping and being angry doesn't do anything to help you land a job.
at least you are getting interviews, the interview I got this past Saturday was my first Interview in over a year

Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
at least you are getting interviews, the interview I got this past Saturday was my first Interview in over a year
Have you been revising your resume? I revised mine at least 6 times and used to have 3 different resumes ready to cater to different jobs. Look at your resume from an employer point of view, how do you stand out from the crowd? How are you the absolute best person for the job? The more I applied for jobs the easier it was to revise my resume to cater to employers. Dont just regurgitate EVERYTHING you have done in the past. Cater your experience and education to the needs of the employer. Having a passionate and personal cover letter helps too

Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,954 times
Quote:
Have you been revising your resume? I revised mine at least 6 times and used to have 3 different resumes ready to cater to different jobs. Look at your resume from an employer point of view, how do you stand out from the crowd? How are you the absolute best person for the job? The more I applied for jobs the easier it was to revise my resume to cater to employers. Dont just regurgitate EVERYTHING you have done in the past. Cater your experience and education to the needs of the employer. Having a passionate and personal cover letter helps too
Well, many are doing or have done everything that you did... and they shouldn't quit doing that.

But... often times, it's about getting the right resume to the right company to the right interviewer at the right time to finally land a job in this economy.
For some, it took 2 months, for you it took 5 months, for others it may take 1 year or more.

There are also many X-factors involved that may affect others more such as employer favoritisms and age discrimination. Acknowledging those negative x-factors isn't restrictive because it allows that applicant to modify their job search / resume to try and circumvent employment prejudices they feel are inhibiting their success.

Point is that the length of time it takes to get hired shouldn't imply that the person who got hired earlier did more than someone hired at a later time or who is still looking for a job.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,062 times
Quote:

First of all man CONGRATS! Wish you a long and fulfilling employment. Also in regard to your second paragraph, that is so true. I had to stop coming here because 98% of the posts in this forum are a mixture of sob stories and suicide notes. The key to finding a job in this economy has everything to do with perseverance, consistency, a positive outlook, as well as positioning yourself to receive the right opportunities. Problem is people use complaining to compensate for their lack of tough skin and persistence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search