Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,646 times

Advertisements

You're approaching the interview like "Nobody told me this will be on the test!??" It's an interview NOT an exam or even a court appearance.

I used to work in HR and saw lots of interviewees. The ones that did the best were very personable and human. Even if they were unqualified we found positions for them because we liked their personality. I have seen many WELL qualified applicants not get jobs because they were too stiff and concentrated too hard at giving the right answers.

Approach the interview like you're making new friends. Be personable, smile, make eye contact. If it's an entry level position they want to make sure you come across as a hard worker and not a slacker or a potential criminal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
A mild beta-blocker called Propranolol also does wonders for the "jitters" - I'm a classical/performing musician, and it's kind of a trade secret of ours. Shhhhh.

Of course that won't give someone the ability to produce great answers, or great performances in the case of us musicians... but it completely eliminates all physical responses to fear, which in turn allows you to focus on building confidence & improving your skills. Mock interviews (with friends or counselors) also might help, as others have suggested. Hope you (the OP) find another opportunity soon, and best of luck in overcoming the anxiety!
Dang it, that was gonna be my answer. Propranolol is great in that it does not affect your mood or thinking one iota, only keeps that 'fight or flight' adrenaline rush from kicking in.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I met yesterday with HR on two openings I have, and was surprised to find that we can include up to 6 in the interview panel. That seems excessive, I can see that it would be intimidating even to the less nervous person. I decided to go with just two on one, 3 on the other, partly based on this thread. One thing that helped me with public speaking years ago was becoming active in local organizations, which I did mainly because of my kids. For example the local soccer club board, and several school committees.
You are in a much less formal setting with a group and participation in discussion gets you used to speaking to a group without as much pressure.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I think group is far less intimidating then having 1 interviewer at a time grill you and wear you down over 4 hours. The groups I had seemed to take on the tone of a conversation or meeting. I had an 6 hour one at a big pharma and where some of the interviews were nice and some of them felt like a police interrogations, one was so bad I began sweating profusely and just wanted to get in my car and floor it out of there.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
For the OP, if you think your experience was bad, let me tell you about mine!

My ds is a special ed student, we have periodic ARD meetings to discuss his progress, issues, etc. I walked into one meeting, there were 22 school officials there! No kidding! I nearly fainted! come one, surely they should realize that would intimidate even the staunchest person! I felt I could barely speak, let alone advocate for my DS.

next meeting, I hired an advocate---just to swing things my way. The advocate brought along 3 law student interns who were working in his firm. I also brought along dh, and grandparents, aunts, uncles, my little group was 12 altogether. When they protested there wasn't enough seating, I suggested either they thin out their group, or we all meet in the auditorium. Made my point!

But getting way OT---surely people realize being "ganged up on" is intimidating and doesn't allow you to present yourself in the best light. Look some people handle nerves better than others. My dh interviewed for an engineering position, one of his responsibilities would be doing formal design reviews. They handed him a problem, had him work through it and present it to a group of fellow designers, in a big conference room, etc. They were amazed when he got the problem right, but didn't hire him, felt his presentation lacked "polish" WTH did they expect, on the fly like that? Doesn't getting it right count for something? Oh, well....look some people are just better than others at handling being stared at.

For OP, don't dwell on the experience, and do talk to your doctor about something, like valium, etc. It is NOT a mind altering drug---you dont' start seeing rainbows and pink elephants. You just relax enough to not have your nerves get in your way. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
Humor helps: "Whoa, I didn't expect so many of you guys show up.... Excuse me for being a bit overwhelmed here, would you give me a few moments to collect my thoughts?"

And maybe introduce yourself to each one in turn, shaking hands, smiling, getting their names/titles. No need to remember these names, you are just buying yourself some time.

Or an old public-speaking standby to overcome jitters: imagine your audience sitting in their underwear.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
For OP, don't dwell on the experience, and do talk to your doctor about something, like valium, etc. It is NOT a mind altering drug---you dont' start seeing rainbows and pink elephants. You just relax enough to not have your nerves get in your way. Good luck!
Make no mistake, it is a mind altering substance, the same as alcohol is. That doesn't mean it doesn't have appropriate medicinal applications though, and these situations are appropriate for many.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Practice interviewing with a friend, or even by yourself. Not kidding. Sounds silly, but write down questions and decide what answers you'd feel comfortable giving.

Decide how you will answer the sticky questions (yeah, they are silly), such as "What are your weaknesses?" with something like, "Oh, I work too hard" or "I am a perfectionist..."

Decide what facial expressions, what posture, body language you will have. Figure out what is comfortable for you. Figure out how much time you will look someone in the eye.

Practice being natural. This isn't about being perfect. This is about relaxing, doing the interview well, getting a chance to sell yourself, and show them what you are like.

Interviewing, like anything else, gets easier with experience.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I went in to interview with a local auto parts supplier for a low level QA job. I was anticipating one or two interviewers but as we approached the conference room the HR guy mentioned that all the QA managers would be attending. He opened the door and there were six people in there.

I started to feel uneasy and felt like I was having a panic attack so I pulled him aside and told him I was declining the interview. There was no way I would have done well in front of that many people. I have ALWAYS had problems with public speaking/presentations and then the added "interview jitters" just got to me. Had I been told in advance it was going to be a panel interview I wouldn't have even went.

I do great interviewing with one or two people where I feel like I can have a conversation, apparently not so much with a interviewing panel.

I guess from now on I will have to ask ahead of time what type of interview they are conducting. I haven't interviewed in 20 years other than a few recent ones with just one or two people.

I feel like crap right now but this is just one of my "quirks" and now I am wondering if this is common for interviews. It is bad enough being nervous about an interview but to add a group "sales" aspect to it is just too much for me.

Foolish decision and companies don't let you know ahead of time how many people will be interviewing you.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I went in to interview with a local auto parts supplier for a low level QA job. I was anticipating one or two interviewers but as we approached the conference room the HR guy mentioned that all the QA managers would be attending. He opened the door and there were six people in there.
Business must be slow at that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search