Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Someone did something nice for you. That is what you should be thankful for. What have you done for them?
Many people on this board would be grateful for a small opportunity like the one you received.

HR at this company might already "know" you, but you really think that you are on top of their list? The friend's referral brings your name back to the top of that list. Your "history" with them is as a former candidate...that is not that impressive. Now you are a former candidate who is a referral "X", which gives you an advantage in the future, if a position opens up and they see you as a fit.

If you have a problem with what your cousin did for you, please tell all your family, friends and network connections to not bother to help you unless they can guarantee you an in person interview. It would save them time and face from calling up and wasting favors on you.
I thought my cousin knew I didn't anyone getting involved in my job life which is why all this is confusing. And I said I appreciate the assistance and concern but I rather deal with this situation myself unless someone has a strong lead. I have no interest in weak leads right now and prefer my family to stay out of this. I know if the situation was reversed I wouldn't be telling a relative to send a resume unless I knew for a fact that were going to get a interview because I wouldn't want to get their hopes up knowing that they have been out of work for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I thought my cousin knew I didn't anyone getting involved in my job life which is why all this is confusing. And I said I appreciate the assistance and concern but I rather deal with this situation myself unless someone has a strong lead. I have no interest in weak leads right now and prefer my family to stay out of this. I know if the situation was reversed I wouldn't be telling a relative to send a resume unless I knew for a fact that were going to get a interview because I wouldn't want to get their hopes up knowing that they have been out of work for a while.
You NEVER know "for a fact" that someone is going to get an interview unless you are the hiring manager.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
Quote:
Well then, tell them and everyone you know explicitly. People are not mind readers. They probably thought they were being helpful. They didn't know they were offending you by doing so. Most people would probably be grateful for the help, how are they to know that you feel differently.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Thank you so much Ann for backing me on that inaccurate statement. I was hired twice without going to HR.
Moderator cut: deleted
You have NO idea how the hiring is structured at that company, the "HR person" may be the person that actually does ALL the hiring, so with you saying you will not deal with HR may have just cost you a job, have fun when UI runs out, you can always sell blood.

This "hiring manager" stuff is new to me, the ONLY place I have ever heard it is on the Net, NEVER in business. Could be people are confused what HR is.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-10-2012 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: deleted personal remarks

Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
This "hiring manager" stuff is new to me, the ONLY place I have ever heard it is on the Net, NEVER in business. Could be people are confused what HR is.
Maybe it's new to you, but it shouldn't be. I'm a hiring manager. I'm not in HR. I write my ad using a template HR has put together so I fill in the job title, description,compensation, etc. but they've already got the EEOC stuff as a boilerplate. I place the ad. The resumes for my ad come in to me. I review them. I determine who I want to interview. I do the interviews, first a phoner for the top five or so candidates than a formal in-person for the top 2-3 and then an informal in-person for my top choice (usually at a local coffee shop) where I also include one of my partners or the lead they will be directly reporting to.

I then make a conditional offer and if they accept I check their references and another person in our organization (not HR) checks their DMV abstract (if applicable to their job) and sends them the info to do their drug screen. If it all checks out, I bring them on board and at some point during their first week they meet with HR to go over the employee handbook, get benefits info, etc.

I was a hiring manager at my last job as well, and it was handled the exact same way.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe it's new to you, but it shouldn't be. I'm a hiring manager. I'm not in HR. I write my ad using a template HR has put together so I fill in the job title, description,compensation, etc. but they've already got the EEOC stuff as a boilerplate. I place the ad. The resumes for my ad come in to me. I review them. I determine who I want to interview. I do the interviews, first a phoner for the top five or so candidates than a formal in-person for the top 2-3 and then an informal in-person for my top choice (usually at a local coffee shop) where I also include one of my partners or the lead they will be directly reporting to.

I then make a conditional offer and if they accept I check their references and another person in our organization (not HR) checks their DMV abstract (if applicable to their job) and sends them the info to do their drug screen. If it all checks out, I bring them on board and at some point during their first week they meet with HR to go over the employee handbook, get benefits info, etc.

I was a hiring manager at my last job as well, and it was handled the exact same way.
Yeah that sounds accurate the only role HR played in hiring at my last job was the offer letter. I didn't meet the HR rep until after I started the job.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

AHH I get it NOW, you don't like being called HR .. okay it makes sense now.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Because I'm not. If I were HR I'd be writing all that fine print about EEOC in the ad.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
Quote:
No, the hiring manager is the person who has a position on his team/company that needs to be filled, and the person that the new hire will ultimately report to. Hiring manager is not HR ..unless of course the job is a HR position.

Every company have different hiring process, but hiring manager is not a new OR uncommon term.

Come to think of it, the worst group/company/colleagues I have ever worked in are the ones who bypassed HR in the hiring process and hiring people based on personal connections.

i.e. At a former company, one guy was the son of the CEO. He stayed on after his father was ousted and replace...he never did any real work. Can't say he ever really had anyone else's respect because of how he got the job.

Another company, I got re-org into a group. We had a external requisition open, and we interviewed several candidates, mostly of equal qualifications. We prefer one candidate because they seem to have the personality to fit with the team. But we were "strongly encouraged"(forced) to extend an offer to the daughter of a family friend of our second line manager. We were about to extend the offer (the offer was NOT conveyed to the candidate), but a hiring freeze occurred, and we lost the requisition. This candidates mother called up and YELLED at my manager (the hiring manager) for not hiring her daughter. WTF?
That group was horrible, office politics, back stabbing, butt kissing...which in hindsight wasn't surprising given the hiring process. I was so happy when I finally transferred out.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
No, the hiring manager is the person who has a position on his team/company that needs to be filled, and the person that the new hire will ultimately report to. Hiring manager is not HR ..unless of course the job is a HR position.

Every company have different hiring process, but hiring manager is not a new OR uncommon term.

Come to think of it, the worst group/company/colleagues I have ever worked in are the ones who bypassed HR in the hiring process and hiring people based on personal connections.

i.e. At a former company, one guy was the son of the CEO. He stayed on after his father was ousted and replace...he never did any real work. Can't say he ever really had anyone else's respect because of how he got the job.

Another company, I got re-org into a group. We had a external requisition open, and we interviewed several candidates, mostly of equal qualifications. We prefer one candidate because they seem to have the personality to fit with the team. But we were "strongly encouraged"(forced) to extend an offer to the daughter of a family friend of our second line manager. We were about to extend the offer (the offer was NOT conveyed to the candidate), but a hiring freeze occurred, and we lost the requisition. This candidates mother called up and YELLED at my manager (the hiring manager) for not hiring her daughter. WTF?
That group was horrible, office politics, back stabbing, butt kissing...which in hindsight wasn't surprising given the hiring process. I was so happy when I finally transferred out.

And this post right here confirms there is no open positions at that woman's company since she was giving to HR and not a hiring manager. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search