Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM

181 posts, read 305,774 times

Advertisements

In regards to the OP's post, I think it depends on the area. However, I do think the college degree standard is becoming more prevalent. I have a sales team in which most of them do not have a college degree and they make about $33k a year (working about 25 hours a week). Definitely not a bad salary for a person with only a high school diploma. If you have a bachelor's degree, I can guarantee you that there is a better position for you if you're persistent in finding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
In regards to the OP's post, I think it depends on the area. However, I do think the college degree standard is becoming more prevalent. I have a sales team in which most of them do not have a college degree and they make about $33k a year (working about 25 hours a week). Definitely not a bad salary for a person with only a high school diploma. If you have a bachelor's degree, I can guarantee you that there is a better position for you if you're persistent in finding it.
True, our subsidiaries sales territory managers (who have no staff reporting to them) average about 3 times that, and of course, only degreed candidates even make it through the first pass. Many have a MBA.

Of that group, in time, 2 or 3 will end up promoted, and earn in excess of 200k.

As for the law firm, the paralegal if I recall correctly started as the secretary, so they are growing, and offering growth.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
I think it belittles the college students to take entry-level jobs. I'm sorry, but to go to school for four or more years and then be REQUIRED to use your degree to become a file clerk is ridiculous. The only reason company's get away with this is so they can boast that all their employees have degrees.

Would YOU want to be represented by a lawyer who required his FILE clerk to have a degree? Doesn't that sort of level the playing field, so basically, no one is more "intelligent" than the other -- they just get paid differently.

Just saying....
its not like we have much of a choice and of course they know that..so its do it or starve eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan2 View Post
This topic made me think of something. College graduates earn more over the long term on average, but how much more do they pay in debt? On average I'm sure it's not too high (probably less than 10k). However, I bet if you moved just a bit on the bell curved it'd be pretty bad. People who owe like 30-40K are paying so much more due to interest over the long term.
i always try to explain that to people but i get ignored.. if your debt is like 30k and it keeps accruing interest and becomes 40+ and everytime is just "catching" up youll never catch up and when you catch up its doubling and doubling

Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
.....if your debt is like 30k and it keeps accruing interest and becomes 40+ and everytime is just "catching" up youll never catch up and when you catch up its doubling and doubling...
This leads me to a good question for you (and others on this forum). Is the debt forgiven in a situation like we live in today (no jobs available and if there are any, it pays between $9 and $12)? If there are no decent jobs with decent salaries, how is one expected to pay back the debt?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I do not think it is typical to require a degree for a file clerk position.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
I have no problem needing a BA just to be a file clerk, I do not think "such work is beneathe me, I am better than that etc..." Again, no issue no problem starting at the bottom.

Problem is when you got 80 or so grads applying for the 3 open file clerk positions, all have BAs, all willing to start at the bottom. What to do the other78 guys/gals do?

As for paying off student debt making 10-12$ an hour, yes it is scary and i do think about it often along with "Ok can I afford an apartment working retail at Target?" (obivously Target is not my ideal positon post grad but it is the best I can do for now)- I am not sure, 10-12$ is not that much, i think one day you can pay off the debt and afford your own place but that day proably wont come soon

Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I don't think anyone can get too concerned about paying off college debt because it's like close to a $100,000. No need to even waste time stressing about a debt that big.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I saw this in the NYT and it's just a law firm in Cobb county with a snobby and elitist attitude. The picture along with it featured young, attractive girls. I almost think that these lawyers are looking for cute throphy wives along with cute girls to drool over. Because they are only hiring young college grads, they may be making themselves a target for an age/minority discrimination lawsuit.
Lol since when does having bleached hair equal being attractive?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan2 View Post
This topic made me think of something. College graduates earn more over the long term on average, but how much more do they pay in debt? On average I'm sure it's not too high (probably less than 10k). However, I bet if you moved just a bit on the bell curved it'd be pretty bad. People who owe like 30-40K are paying so much more due to interest over the long term.
Yes and then there are the ones with $200-$300k debt from going to graduate school. It's pretty pathetic that our country has come to this.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I don't think anyone can get too concerned about paying off college debt because it's like close to a $100,000. No need to even waste time stressing about a debt that big.
I got a call last week looking for a former employee that has not worked for me since 2006 from a debt collector that I recognized from when they called about 2007, for an unpaid student loan. I don't know how long that will follow you and keep you from getting loans/credit cards, but it seems to be at least 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search