Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times

Advertisements

I always have a notepad, but as a matter of courtesy I ask the interviewer if it's OK to write down notes. I've never been told no.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
A notepad is perfectly acceptable.

I have used one to keep a short list of questions to ask the HM, as the interview goes along I will jot down the occasional point form note to remind myself of topics to address more thoroughly later in the interview.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
You should have a notepad at an interview. It shows you are paying attention and taking it seriously.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0023 View Post
What is the protocol for bringing with you a nice notepad to jot notes. For me, it is not necessarily to jot down notes as I don't want the employer to think I am not paying full attention to them. I also think it is a bit disrespectful while they are talking to you. I want it to make sure I remember all of the questions I have to ask at the end of the interview. I have been to a couple of interviews where I have a notepad in front of me but never open it. When they ask me if I have any questions, I tell them that I have several questions, would you mind? I ask this as I am looking at my notepad obviously asking them if it is ok to open it. I am not writing the answers. What do you think.

I think it's unnecessary since the interview is all about evaluating your personality which means conversation not writing.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I think it's unnecessary since the interview is all about evaluating your personality which means conversation not writing.
What if the interviewer tells you some information during the interview that is important to remember such as when and where the second interview will occur or something that the interviewer wants to follow up with? If you don;t write this info don;t you may misremember and lose the job as a result.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
What if the interviewer tells you some information during the interview that is important to remember such as when and where the second interview will occur or something that the interviewer wants to follow up with? If you don;t write this info don;t you may misremember and lose the job as a result.

I think my memory would be good enough to remember those types of details. Taking out a notepad will make the interviewer uncomfortable which is why I don't recommend it

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,013 times
I've always brought a small notebook & folder with me on interviews.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Taking out a notepad will make the interviewer uncomfortable which is why I don't recommend it
How did you come to this conclusion? As someone who interviews people and know many others that do I would say that is pretty much never the case.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How did you come to this conclusion? As someone who interviews people and know many others that do I would say that is pretty much never the case.
He tried to sketch his interviewers and ended up skeeving them out.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 84,396 times
I think it's good to be equipped with a notepad. I bring one because it usually has my notes on the company and some questions I might want to ask (since I easily forget things like those). But when I want to take notes I make sure to ask the interviewer if it's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search