Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:30 PM

26 posts, read 69,348 times

Advertisements

What is the protocol for bringing with you a nice notepad to jot notes. For me, it is not necessarily to jot down notes as I don't want the employer to think I am not paying full attention to them. I also think it is a bit disrespectful while they are talking to you. I want it to make sure I remember all of the questions I have to ask at the end of the interview. I have been to a couple of interviews where I have a notepad in front of me but never open it. When they ask me if I have any questions, I tell them that I have several questions, would you mind? I ask this as I am looking at my notepad obviously asking them if it is ok to open it. I am not writing the answers. What do you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
I don't always write on my notebook, but bring one anyways. Like you, it typically has my questions. I write things down sometimes, but not always. I don't like to take notes because I get to caught up in that instead of the interview.

However, the only reason I wouldn't think it's disrespectful to take notes is because the interviewer or panel are typically busy writing notes themselves. Usually they will tell me that they'll be taking notes so please do not think they aren't paying attention. This is especially true when asked situational questions.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
FWIW, I always have a notepad in front of me when interviewing. It has my tidbits of company info and questions to ask.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 PM

Ok. This is helpful as I have an interview next Monday. It is a panel interview with 4 executives the 1st hour and I believe the team that I would be overseeing the 2nd hour. I have different sets of questions for each group and I may not remember all of them.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 PM

Jaypee,

Do you only open it when it is time for you to ask questions?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I always bring a portfolio with me that has a notebook in it. That is where I keep copies of my resume, important company information and a list of questions.

To be honest I don't usually take notes during the interview, but I have it as a possibility. I will certainly write down notes after the interview. As much as I can think of. Or even between interviews if I am meeting with multiple people and I am sitting in a room waiting.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0023 View Post
Jaypee,

Do you only open it when it is time for you to ask questions?
I open it as soon as I sit down.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
i bring a notebook but i only write to-do items on it - if i need to e-mail the interviewer something after the interview or something like that. i always think i might jot down a question that comes up so i can remember to ask about it later, but so far i never have!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
I bring a portfolio as well (which is opened as soon as I sit down). Like others, I'll have my resume, questions that I'll be asking, as well as the job description.

During the interview, I may or may not take notes. But if the interview gets technical where I am putting down more info, I'll typically make sure there's no issues with me writing things down. Its never been a problem. On the other side of the coin, as a hiring manager, I've never had an issue with people taking notes while we're interviewing.

Of course, everyone is different, so it may not be a bad idea to always ask as a courtesy.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
yeah, i bring a folder with a couple of copies of my resume, a couple of copies of my reference list, and a notepad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search