Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:45 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Everyone forgets she had a job. Quit that job. Was going to take a week off before starting the new job. Maybe if she wasn't treating herself to a week off, hopefully not funded by the former employer or co-workers, then the background check could have came through before her last day.
You're right, she sounds extremely spoiled. A week off, pfft. In my day, we walked 15 miles one way to work...in the snow!

But in all seriousness, that's not that uncommon for people to do in between jobs.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
My argument is that people should not hold this against her for the rest of her life. Clearly she was who they wanted in the first place. Why let something done (stupidly) so long ago hamper that decision? Show a little leniency, give the woman a second chance, and if she keeps on effing up, then it's on her. That's all I'm trying to get across here.
You are arguing with 100% conviction that she hasn't been stealing since her first arrest, while I am arguing that there is no way to know. I am not sure what gives you that confidence. Maybe, it's the fact that you aren't the actual employer so it's easy to take that route.

Sure, they wanted her in the first place. But that does not necessarily mean, that the person who came in second on the list was a lot less qualified. If I have to choose between my first choice of candidate with an arrest record for stealing and a second choice with no record, I would choose the second choice. I can take the chance that the second choice will learn the skills on the job, but honesty/integrity are values that are not easily learned later on in life.

Hopefully, she has learned a lesson from this. If she is still stealing, she should realize that one more conviction and she can kiss all her chances for a decent job goodbye. If she has stopped stealing, she should learn how to position herself with future employers so she doesn't run into this situation again.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
People partake in all sorts of stupidity in their younger days, some still do it as they get older. Even after eight years, you think this petty theft should haunt her for the rest of her life, to the point that she's not allowed to make a living? So much for second chances.

FWIW, I don't have a criminal background, I'm just empathizing here.

Why didn't your friend try and get this expunged? Prior to looking for a new job?

How about some common sense?

She had a steady job, she knew she has this charge against her(sounds like shoplifting), why didn't she clean that up before doing a job search.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
You are arguing with 100% conviction that she hasn't been stealing since her first arrest, while I am arguing that there is no way to know. I am not sure what gives you that confidence. Maybe, it's the fact that you aren't the actual employer so it's easy to take that route.

Sure, they wanted her in the first place. But that does not necessarily mean, that the person who came in second on the list was a lot less qualified. If I have to choose between my first choice of candidate with an arrest record for stealing and a second choice with no record, I would choose the second choice. I can take the chance that the second choice will learn the skills on the job, but honesty/integrity are values that are not easily learned later on in life.

Hopefully, she has learned a lesson from this. If she is still stealing, she should realize that one more conviction and she can kiss all her chances for a decent job goodbye. If she has stopped stealing, she should learn how to position herself with future employers so she doesn't run into this situation again.
Actually, you're completely wrong. I'm not arguing that she is or isn't stealing. I'm just saying there is no way of knowing besides the official charge she had against her eight years ago.

And she should stop stealing, if she is still stealing. I agree.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Many companies would like to rehire or retain a departing employee to save money on recruitment costs, training costs, and taking a chance on an unknown new employee. On the other hand the company will remember that that person left and consider them a high flight risk.
There's some other issues I'd be concerned about too, such as the effect it may have on other team members. To be honest, though, thinking back many years ago I gave notice at a prior company and then changed my mind. My VP at the time was glad I decided to stay, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh in my old age.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why didn't your friend try and get this expunged? Prior to looking for a new job?

How about some common sense?

She had a steady job, she knew she has this charge against her(sounds like shoplifting), why didn't she clean that up before doing a job search.
I think you're referring to the OP? I'm just another schmoe caught up in the crossfire here.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Getting an expungment will cost at least $1000, or at least that's the going rate in TX right now. A lot of that is court fees, so even if you get the forms and do the paperwork yourself, it's still not cheap.

So what? That is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about jobs that pay 50K or more a year.

Paying a traffic ticket and going to traffic school costs money as well, but that is better than getting points on your DL and having your car insurance double.

Ever hear the expression "penny wise but pound foolish"?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:08 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Even if she wasn't verbally asked, upon signing that document approving a background search she should have disclosed it. As the OP posted in the thread, she was asked if she had a felony. It's on her to disclose it fully and not be shady/coy because the "right" question wasn't asked.
The bottom line is for a company to give a job offer and then rescind it based on critera never disclosed to applicant and never inquired about is irresponsible.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The bottom line is for a company to give a job offer and then rescind it based on critera never disclosed to applicant and never inquired about is irresponsible.
I feel like we are beating a dead horse here, she had to sign a permission slip to approve a background check. It isn't like all of sudden they did this secret illegal check and said never mind no job for you.

She signed it and KNEW they were going to do a search on her background. It is completely and 100 percent on her to disclose what might come out in that check. If she wasn't sure, then before she signed it, she should have asked.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So what? That is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about jobs that pay 50K or more a year.

Paying a traffic ticket and going to traffic school costs money as well, but that is better than getting points on your DL and having your car insurance double.

Ever hear the expression "penny wise but pound foolish"?
OP didn't say how much her friend's job paid. And right now the friend has no job, possibly making it difficult to come up with $1000.

Since she was asking what the expungement process involved, I figured someone ought to mention the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search