Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times

Advertisements

The politics of business buddies and so forth makes it difficult .
Some applications won't get a second look if there is not an internal employee connected some how . What difference does that make ? Honestly ?
Association in the olden days use to mean something but now ,people are so self involved they hardly know one another except at work . And even that can be a relatively distant relationship.
I don't know that any one I ever listed, had been asked a thing about me. yet I was still hired.
I think HR's should actually do their jobs and really investigate .
Why did he leave his previous job? do His statements and theirs agree? honesty even if it is not pretty, especially if it is not pretty.
I won't lie for the company , my integrity fallows me ,whether the company exists or not.
Many companies want what is comparative to a marriage , yet I have yet to see a couple go through so much, before making their commitment.
I have worked for some that knew that they were merely a job ,any one can fill the space. or at least they treated you that way.
And others demanded devotion compromising/challenging one's family life.
If I were to enter the job market again (currently retired) I would maintain a strict adherence to my job description and not let others make expansions to it, I am not hired for. As per job description. often quick to see one's capabilities and skills , not so quick to compensate for the added effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,326,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Shall I quote where you said it? I thought you were 'intelligent' and could go back and find it on your own.
Go ahead and try and quote it because I didn't say it. You're just stalling and stubborn as hell. What else is new?

Quote:
So you can also sling racist remarks--I was born in the US and am a United States citizen. It's great to see your caliber and education on display here.
LMAO! Go ahead and play the race card! Especially on ME! You wouldn't believe who I'm married to. I will let you know. Watch you rep comments. BTW, for a born in the USA citizen, you could have fooled me because YOUR opinions that you have spouted off in this thread about your "fellow" US citizens are positively treasonous and hate filled.

Quote:
Great to see your sister's bosses are in the second generation of growing. Even when in trusts, money can still be blown. I've studied this in our own family's estate planning. But someone as educated as you would have known this.
Here you go again ... assuming you are right. Not in the second generation but beyond. And the point I was trying to make was that if your "theory" (based on jealousy of my sister's employers and the hope that the next generation of their family will blow the wealth and go broke) was correct that third generation wealth holders "blow" it then families like the Kennedys would have been broke a long time ago. So you are incorrect twice here with your little generational wealth nonsense.

PS: I like how when FHD tells you you are WRONG you just don't even quote nor address it and pretend he didn't say anything. How weak. We all noticed.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then build a better mouse trap or hire better HR and hiring personnel. If you aren't getting the type of people you need and to stay with you, you either are in a high turnover industry or don't run effectively. Most filters are so bad now that they cannot even get the good employees through because of looking for buzzwords and specific experience. So in my opinion, I would say that your company's problem is that your filter is too wide. You need to tighten it so garbage don't get through. You ever hear of GIGO (garbage in, garbage out), you are allowing it by letting the garbage in. Time to build a better mouse trap.
Do you really think this person actually has a company complete with a Human Resources Department? Really? Think about it in context with what he's been posting. You may just be wasting your sensible advice ...

Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you really think this person actually has a company complete with a Human Resources Department? Really? Think about it in context with what he's been posting. You may just be wasting your sensible advice ...
No but there could be better hiring personnel because the current system is allowing too much garbage in. This could be through setting up filters or having a competent employee to go through and see if the application is good enough to go through to the hiring manager. Currently they have to wade through it themselves instead of the applications or resumes going into the trash bin off the bat. Will bad people get through still, likely. The issue is though from there, things get easier to handle.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 PM

453 posts, read 632,615 times
Quote:
Go ahead and try and quote it because I didn't say it. You're just stalling and stubborn as hell. What else is new?

LMAO! Go ahead and play the race card! Especially on ME! You wouldn't believe who I'm married to. I will let you know. Watch you rep comments. BTW, for a born in the USA citizen, you could have fooled me because YOUR opinions that you have spouted off in this thread about your "fellow" US citizens are positively treasonous and hate filled.

Here you go again ... assuming you are right. Not in the second generation but beyond. And the point I was trying to make was that if your "theory" (based on jealousy of my sister's employers and the hope that the next generation of their family will blow the wealth and go broke) was correct that third generation wealth holders "blow" it then families like the Kennedys would have been broke a long time ago. So you are incorrect twice here with your little generational wealth nonsense.

PS: I like how when FHD tells you you are WRONG you just don't even quote nor address it and pretend he didn't say anything. How weak. We all noticed.
Mmm... BBQ.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Employers are there to make money, if they think such requirements will make them more successful then they keep using them. Eventually someone is hired, so it must be working for them. Sometimes it makes more sense to take more time in the hiring process to get the person they are looking for rather than "settle". I would never hire someone from a referral, having done it a couple of times against my better judgement as a favor I got burned both times and ended up firing them.
Well, no it's not working for them. Companies are rife with employees who got their jobs via the "it's not what you know but who you know" process and dysfunctional workplaces are the end product.

Back in the day, I used to frequent a business library in my city where they had volumes of Personnel Psychology on the book shelves - I mean the hardbound ones. Reading those publications gave me a lot of insight into the out of control nonsense that some of the posters so eloquently characterized. ...And that was back in the day. It has gotten worse over the years.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
"Employers are there to make money, if they think such requirements will make them more successful then they keep using them."

Some employers are there to make money, not all. Non profits do not make a profit. Government does not make a profit (jokes aside). Religious orders do not and the list goes on and on.

"Eventually someone is hired, so it must be working for them. Sometimes it makes more sense to take more time in the hiring process to get the person they are looking for rather than "settle"."

But there's one issue here. Budgeting. If you are contracted by the government can for some reason are not staffed you will lose that contract. In budgeting if you do not spend what you have you lose it the following year because they'll come back and say if you could do it for less why ask more more? So yes many organizations do settle as frankly there is a difference between asking prices and selling prices.

Let's say a business wants someone that has 7 years experience. They have a number of applicants that have up to 6. Is it *REALLY* going to make the world end by hiring someone with six vs seven?

I see qualifications go up and down all the time. It's not concrete. I know of a town that just increased a DPW worker requirement from five years to fifteen! Don't know why but it happened.

"I would never hire someone from a referral, having done it a couple of times against my better judgement as a favor I got burned both times and ended up firing them."

But at the same point it is not experience but rather someone elses experience otherwise what you end up with is a rejection of all empiracal knowledge and science and history for that matter!

I'm not saying it is all connections but you have to keep in mind that you have to have something to quantify a person. A resume with some degree or experience and so on. You cannot simply show up without knowing anyone or anything and get the job.You have to base your judgement on something specifically.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No but there could be better hiring personnel because the current system is allowing too much garbage in. This could be through setting up filters or having a competent employee to go through and see if the application is good enough to go through to the hiring manager. Currently they have to wade through it themselves instead of the applications or resumes going into the trash bin off the bat. Will bad people get through still, likely. The issue is though from there, things get easier to handle.
Maybe it's a situation of like attracts like.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Mmm... BBQ.
LMAO! When he puts me on the spit, please interject and baste me evenly so I get a nice winter tan, okay?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM

453 posts, read 632,615 times
Quote:
LMAO! When he puts me on the spit, please interject and baste me evenly so I get a nice winter tan, okay?
Actually, I think YOU spitted HIM rather nicely. When's dinner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search