Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:26 PM

59 posts, read 136,038 times

Advertisements

I have been talking to a company for a couple of months now. I have interviewed with 3 different people including the VP and other managers by phone. We have also exchanged many emails throughout this process. This morning the VP sent me an email saying they would like to interview me in person and would like to show me around their office as well as take me on a tour showing me jobs they have done. They will be paying for me to go out and visit with them. I am just curious if anyone experienced this and had a negative experience. It almost sounds like they are almost ready to make me an offer, but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:30 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
I've experienced it twice and got an offer both times. I turned down the first one because I wanted more money. That was stupid in hindsight. However, almost 2 years later, did it again with another company and got a tremendous offer. That was a little over a year ago and here I am. The interviews were pretty easy. I'm not a great interviewer and if they had asked tough questions, I doubt I would have gotten an offer. However, in my experience, when they fly you out, you already have the job, and its just to make sure you like them and the city you'd be moving to.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-duh-hoe View Post
I have been talking to a company for a couple of months now. I have interviewed with 3 different people including the VP and other managers by phone. We have also exchanged many emails throughout this process. This morning the VP sent me an email saying they would like to interview me in person and would like to show me around their office as well as take me on a tour showing me jobs they have done. They will be paying for me to go out and visit with them. I am just curious if anyone experienced this and had a negative experience. It almost sounds like they are almost ready to make me an offer, but who knows.

Well congrats on the interview. But don't assume because they are flying you out that you have the job, they could be flying a few people in addition to interviewing locally.

You didn't state how far you're traveling for this. If it is a long flight(more than 2 hours) it would be better to get there the night before and rest up and be fresh for the day.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Companies don't fly people out, put them up for a night, and waste a day showing them around because they are somewhat interested in hiring. Now is the time to be confident (well, you should always be that) and the most important thing is to not do anything offensive.

The way I look at it when a company flies you out is that you've already got the job.; just don't do anything to get fired.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
I have done this a few times. Sometimes it resulted in an offer, other times it did not.

Leave time in your travel schedule if possible. Fly in the night before. If it is an area that you are not familiar with, stay an additional day at your expense and tour the area.

Good luck, and please post any specific questions you may have.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Why on earth are you looking for the negative in this?

Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
A company that flew me out a few months back went kind of strange. I don't think you will have this problem but just in case.

The interview stopped because they wanted me to provide tax returns verifying I made what I said even after I offered to let them speak to all of my former employers. I have a strong NDA and explained that to them before they flew me out, no go.

So 30 minutes into the interview I said not possible, thank you, and have a nice day. They covered my expenses and it was nice to briefly visit SV to notice the changes.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:54 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
If they are spending that much money and time, in all likelihood, it is your job to lose. You have been wildly successful keeping a potential employer engaged for months. Your confidence should be very high. But not too high. You are in, take the trip, enjoy the experience, be confident buy humble and you will have a new job;

Good luck, though at this point, you really do not need it!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:56 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,116,258 times
Schedule the interview as far out as possible.

There is no way around it, but you need practice. Interview with friends, complete strangers, family. After each interview, your interviewer needs to provide a critique and tear you down. On the next interview, use the previous critique to refine your performance. Keep repeating the cycle until the interview is bullet proof.

The only way to get better is to fail repeatedly and refine your performance. It's better to fail in practice than at the real job.

It won't be a guarantee that you land this job. However, I will guarantee that you will get a job within a few months.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,075 times
It's a great sign, especially great that there has been so much contact and discussion already. Congrats!

I have flown out for interviews and sometimes it turns into an offer, sometimes not. Sometimes reimbursements were easy, sometimes not.

But just remember to interview THEM too. It matters if YOU think it's a good fit as well but especially if you are considering relocating for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search