Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,485,050 times

Advertisements

From first contact with the company to offer?

I've been reading interesting posts lately that any company that has a very drawn out or lengthy interview process should probably be avoided. Basically that its a giant red flag the company is just stringing you along or window shopping.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the average duration of interviewing and typically how many interviews take place from application to offer. I definitely think the duration is rising, as with more fish in the sea I'm noticing employers get extremely picky with hires.

For example, I work in software development/media and the average interview time I've experienced has been an average of 4-5 months, with about a good 4 interviews per company. I've experienced as much as 8 months and 6 interviews at one company though (which I was disgusted when I got a no offer back from them after so long) and I've heard many a colleague's story of it taking 11-12 months from first company contact to getting an offer. On the flipside, the quickest I ever got an offer in my field was about 6 weeks from first contact to the offer. All and all, seems like companies are taking their good ole time with hiring...

What are everyone else's experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,100,596 times
When I was hired at my current job I had two interviews, a week apart. The offer came 2 days later, pending a background check and reference checks. That took a week then I was given a start date about 2 weeks later. Since then I have hired about 6 people, and most were wrapped up within 3 weeks. One took 4 months because none of the candidates was suitable after interviews so we had to re-open it.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 PM

23,266 posts, read 23,621,950 times
Average these days is about 8-9 weeks. It was about 3 days to 2 weeks, 5 years ago.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 PM

12,061 posts, read 23,092,364 times
It also depends on the career field and whether the employer is public, private or state, local or federal government, so it is a grossly inaccurate generalization to say that a drawn out process is just stringing a candidate along because some processes are long and drawn out.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 PM

68 posts, read 123,911 times
I've been offered a job three days after I interviewed and gotten a rejection letter four weeks after I interviewed. My general rule is if I haven't heard yay or nay in 30 days, then they've moved on with someone else.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:00 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,168,995 times
IMO, anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes is acceptable. If it goes on for 45 minutes or more, they might suspect you're full of crap and are trying to catch you in a lie or two before they decide to mentally give you the finger.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:18 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,057,058 times
It took 3 weeks total for a corporate job at a Fortune 100 company.

I went looking for a job in November. The 2nd interview was a week after the 1st one. The offer letter came 2 weeks ago.

Since I interviewed right before Thanksgiving, it may have delayed the offer letter. In corporate jobs, there are multiple sign-offs from the hiring manager to the executive vice presidents. Many offices are closed Thanksgiving. Most people take Friday off.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 AM

416 posts, read 868,159 times
My first company (grocery store in high school): put in my application on a Sunday. Was called on a Tuesday for a phone interview. In person interviewed on a Thursday. Had my job offer the next day.

My second company, Sales Supervisor at Best Buy (college): applied online. Received a phone call later that week (Thursday, I believe) and phone interviewed. In person interviewed next day with two managers. Had a final interview with the General Manager the following Friday and received job offer on the spot.

My third company, Personal Banker for a super regional bank: applied online mid July. Received a phone call and then phone interview roughly a week later. Had an in person interview a week or so later, followed by an interview with the District Manager the next day. Received an offer the following week (so about three weeks time total).

My fourth company, Asst. Vice President for a major international bank: applied online beginning of April. Phone interview conducted a little under two weeks later. In person interview a week later. Final phone interview with the SVP for the region the following Monday - received offer same day a few hours later.

Now, at my fourth (and current) company, I've been promoted twice. I applied for it both times. First time I had applied on a Thursday. Received an email to interview the next day (Friday). Interviewed, and then received offer for the following Tuesday.

The second time I had applied in mid September. This is for a regional VP position roughly 800 miles away from where I was currently (relocating). Phone interviewed with one of the SVPs for the region in mid September. Video interviewed with another SVP in early October. Final phone interview occurred with the EVP of the division in late October. Received offer two days later in the beginning of November.

The last one was my longest interview process of all of my positions, but it was also for the highest level of position I had gone for yet, so it was understandable.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 AM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
I'm still in the running for a position I first applied for at the end of October. Two phone interviews and one live interview, with another live interview yet to come in mid-January.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,733,349 times
As stated it depends on the sector and employer.

One employer told me that if the job is offered and they asked if you'd take it that you start the next day, no two week notice with the prior one.

Funding can be a factor as well. If it is grant funded it can only operate with a certain criteria.

Some governments use civil service which can also take awhile. I took a test in November 2012 took the test in January. Did not receive it but put on a list for openings with and interview a few weeks ago! I wouldn't specifically say a job is reserved or waits for someone there can be a process for new hires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search