Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:45 AM

500 posts, read 572,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
If your profile displays any of these qualities, perhaps it is time to revisit the profile since it will hurt you more than it helps you:
- Lack of detail about work experience, education, community involvement
- No picture
- Not updated to reflect unemployment or new job
- Custom URL not created

There is something called a 'resume' which does all of this. Not sure why people feel the need to make linkedin billionaires by giving them personal information for free and control over who gets to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 AM

269 posts, read 371,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
There is something called a 'resume' which does all of this. Not sure why people feel the need to make linkedin billionaires by giving them personal information for free and control over who gets to see it.
My linkedin profile is nowhere near as detailed as my resume. Pretty much it just lists my recent jobs, and my skills. It doesn't have to contain your whole entire employment history.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:03 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,614,004 times
Quote:
If your profile displays any of these qualities, perhaps it is time to revisit the profile since it will hurt you more than it helps you:
- No picture
- Custom URL not created

Should the long term unemployed bother with a LinkedIn page then?

Why a custom URL?

If you're going to spit up such rules, maybe you can expand and explain what you mean exactly. Linked In is for CLIQUES within a company, and outsiders almost never fit in. Huge waste of time. IMO

Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
- No picture
- Custom URL not created

You probably meant it as be as detailed as possible, to open the doors to as much discrimination as possible! No Thanks!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Why would you want to post a picture of yourself on LinkedIn? I do not post one of myself because my experience, skills and qualifications are more important than what I look like.
I don't like the idea of a picture on LinkedIn but study after study have shown that if you have a picture on your LinkedIn page you are much more likely to be contacted by hiring managers and HR professionals.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 AM

360 posts, read 812,261 times
If the chances of being discriminated against because you are older or a minority weren't so high, then it might make sense having a photo on LinkedIn. However, the site would have to prove that they are not in order for many people to put a picture on their profile.

Also....where's the proof that LinkedIn is even effective at getting people interviews or jobs,OP? Or even more effective than other job boards?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
If the chances of being discriminated against because you are older or a minority weren't so high, then it might make sense having a photo on LinkedIn. However, the site would have to prove that they are not in order for many people to put a picture on their profile.

Also....where's the proof that LinkedIn is even effective at getting people interviews or jobs,OP? Or even more effective than other job boards?
This^^^^^

Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 AM

249 posts, read 424,928 times
Clearly, those of us who are lucky enough to have decent jbos and have no wish to be contacted by recruiters (but who still want to be on LinkedIn just so that former co-workers and acquaintances can see what we're up to) are right to not post a picture!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,449 times
I just deleted my linkedin profile last night. Never had the need for it. And as far as I know, no one in my firm has a linkedin profile either.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
I have been debating whether to create a linkedin profile for a few years, ever since I started receiving invitations. In my last position, there was a mandate that all employees should have a linkedin profile. I have reservations about putting so much personal information on the internet. LinkedIn strikes me as Facebook for Adults/Workforce. I have researched other professionals, such as lawyers, chartered accountants, and engineers to see if they have posted their professional credentials and work history on the internet, and the answer is no. It seems to me that only a specific segment of the workforce views LinkedIn as an important resource. In my opinion, HR departments strongly support LinkedIn, as do managers, and those that are not part of a recognized professional organization. LinkedIn allows non-professionals to belong to work related organizations that are like topic-specific facebook pages within LinkedIn.

LinkedIn has been around for years and does have a purpose in job searches, but on the flip side, the data is probably being harvested and analyzed by many to produce targeted metrics. I suspect that publicizing personal work history and academic records on the internet also simplifies identity theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search