Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times

Advertisements

I don't want to write an autobiography because I would become public property with no privacy left.

Stephen Hawking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
If your profile displays any of these qualities, perhaps it is time to revisit the profile since it will hurt you more than it helps you:
- Lack of detail about work experience, education, community involvement
- No picture
- Not updated to reflect unemployment or new job
- Custom URL not created

I agree with some of your points, but it all depends on the job seeker and other factors. The photo in a Linkedin profile helps you when you are networking actively. You go to a networking event and add contacts to your profile, having a picture helps people remember who you are. I prefer not to have a picture posted, but overall your profile seems more interesting on the surface when there is a picture of you. I do think psychologically more people are drawn to Linkedin profiles with photos.

I believe you should put about 5-10 years of your most recent work experience and leave off the older stuff or interests that are too far related from your work. Outdated profiles may matter in some cases. Some people purposely leave their profile not updated when they are seeking work. Sometimes the same person has multiple profiles because they may have forgotten they had an earlier profile or cannot get back into their old profile. It can get confusing when the same person has multiple profiles for whatever reason.

Regarding some of the other comments, I do agree that people should be cautious about what they share on any social networking sites. Linkedin is for working people and lacks a lot of the personal stuff and interests you would see in profiles of Facebook members. Generally, I do believe people need to be cautious about possibly getting scammed on Linkedin or anywhere else for that matter. Social engineers (hacker-types) do comb through Linkedin to find targets in a particular company, I would imagine such things happen all the time. The scammers may send invite requests or see the position people have at companies and call them up to get more info about a company and its secrets or send them email or invites to phantom Linkedin profiles.

I also think that some industries rely heavily on Linkedin while to some others it simply does not matter. As some would say with job seeking and Linkedin, your mileage may vary - (YMMY)

Last edited by maus; 04-02-2014 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 01:24 PM

216 posts, read 438,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have researched other professionals, such as lawyers, chartered accountants, and engineers to see if they have posted their professional credentials and work history on the internet, and the answer is no.
I am one of the three types of professionals you've listed, and I have a LinkedIn that is very complete and thorough. As do most of my colleagues. Yes, we have a website, but Linkedin allows for more detail and recruiters I know use it frequently.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I'm an engineer and I have a full LinkedIn profile (including picture).

Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have been debating whether to create a linkedin profile for a few years, ever since I started receiving invitations. In my last position, there was a mandate that all employees should have a linkedin profile. I have reservations about putting so much personal information on the internet. LinkedIn strikes me as Facebook for Adults/Workforce. I have researched other professionals, such as lawyers, chartered accountants, and engineers to see if they have posted their professional credentials and work history on the internet, and the answer is no. It seems to me that only a specific segment of the workforce views LinkedIn as an important resource. In my opinion, HR departments strongly support LinkedIn, as do managers, and those that are not part of a recognized professional organization. LinkedIn allows non-professionals to belong to work related organizations that are like topic-specific facebook pages within LinkedIn.

LinkedIn has been around for years and does have a purpose in job searches, but on the flip side, the data is probably being harvested and analyzed by many to produce targeted metrics. I suspect that publicizing personal work history and academic records on the internet also simplifies identity theft.
I know what I'm about to say is probably unpopular on this forum, but to add to your point no company I've worked for or applied for cared about linkedin. I speak as a professional belonging in a professional group, though. So, perhaps it's different for non-professionals?

Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
There are plenty of successful people on linkedin that don't have pictures etc. Some managers I interview with do indeed view my profile, so I keep it current and professional. It's not a deal breaker, but it is recommended.
What line of work are you in?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
The vast majority I deal with generally have one. Why? Because professional associations generally are on there.

Think of it not so much with employment but being able to communicate with people in a profession on the fly.

If I'm going to city xyz and have a question of a good place to eat I might look at connections.

I can understand some don't like it but government is largely open so this stuff is easy. Private sector pretty much has to use this or spend time at commerce meetings.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 AM

381 posts, read 814,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I don't want to change your topic greatly, but I'd like to piggyback it since you've started down the LinkedIn road:

How many hiring managers/employers out there use LinkedIn as a resource to research an applicant or find potential employees?
I've applied to dozens of places, about 2 or 3 of them looked at my linkedin profile within a couple of days.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,826,169 times
Some of you guys are really dumb if you think its only value is for being recruited......

Old 04-05-2014, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 42,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
If your profile displays any of these qualities, perhaps it is time to revisit the profile since it will hurt you more than it helps you:
- Lack of detail about work experience, education, community involvement
- No picture
- Not updated to reflect unemployment or new job
- Custom URL not created

This is only a problem because employers have hired the wrong people in human resources. They tend to hire the students that have gossiped their way through college, and only reason they have a GPA above the 3.0 cut off is because they didn't really challenge themselves in college. Ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search