Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:29 AM

22 posts, read 37,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
You DO realize that someone can be physically fit, eat all the right things and STILL be obese right?
Basketball stars as physically fit as they are, are still considered obese by the medical field.

You lost out on a potential employee because of his appearance and presumed weight?
I've found that people assume that someone is a certain weight, when in reality they are much thinner, appearances can be deceiving. Every body shape is different. Also, the fact that he applied anyway showed gumption. Maybe he applied because not only can he do the job (he sounded great on paper), but because he probably needed the work-out to get back in shape.

I have seen out of shape people apply to Amazon Warehouse. If they can stick it out, they come out with a great paycheck and 30 lbs lost. It's a win-win. Even *I* lost some weight working there when I was out of shape (still out of shape but whatever). I'm sure I'm not the only fat person out there that thought about taking a physically demanding job just to lose weight (one of the perks) and get a paycheck to boot .

My husband got a physically demanding job awhile ago, knowing it'd be physical, and he lost 30 pounds so far His coworkers though, are always on him because he's the hardest working person there. When he will leave his job soon, I'm sure he'll get glowing references. Point is, don't always shoot down heavy people for wanting to work a physically demanding job that YOU think is too much for them. You might be surprised!
Thats nice and all...

But im running a business, not a gym, our company is NOT there for some dolt who made horrible life choices to get in shape, were here to make a dollar, not an athlete.

It sounds harsh, but the more I skulk around these parts, the more I see why some people are " unemployable."
Some folks have a loony sense of what a business is, and what an employee is entitled too.

If the job is physcially demanding, then NO, im not hiring some 400 pound whopper to die on us, or to make the company look horrible when theyre expecting a professional and all of a sudden a misshapen sloth shows up to die from exhaustion on their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:25 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadstugatzi View Post
Some folks have a loony sense of what a business is, and what an employee is entitled too.
And again you are looking in the mirror. Now if only you would learn something.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:40 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I am glad you did not hire him... he is better off working for someone else.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I'm a fitness guy. i know some dudes who don't look fit but their performance is very surprising, albeit not 400lbs dudes. Still, I've been really surprised by some people's ability vs appearance. Moving 70lbs would probably be cake for him, the sim test...he may have trouble there. But who knows?

You should have let him take the swim test if he thought he could be ok. On his dime that is, if he passed, give him the job and reimburse him at his first paycheck. If not, it was his decision and risk.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
Totally false. Again.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'm a fitness guy. i know some dudes who don't look fit but their performance is very surprising, albeit not 400lbs dudes. Still, I've been really surprised by some people's ability vs appearance. Moving 70lbs would probably be cake for him, the sim test...he may have trouble there. But who knows?

You should have let him take the swim test if he thought he could be ok. On his dime that is, if he passed, give him the job and reimburse him at his first paycheck. If not, it was his decision and risk.

Yeah so if someone was 150 lbs I think 70 lbs would be quite a bit. At 400 that isn't even 20% of body weight. Sometimes you really can't tell based on initial looks.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
So that explains why the unemployment rate continues to remain ridiculously high.

You have "people" like the OP in charge of the hiring...

Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
the sim test...he may have trouble there. But who knows?
Fat floats on water. I had a gf who was well over 100 heavier than me. She floated like a bubble in the swimming pool. I sank like a brick.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadstugatzi View Post
Yes our position also requires a CDL.

Our company installs and maintains water-fixtures in the MID-West. Which is why we require a swim test and battery since our techs will be out in the middle of man-made ponds and lakes most of the day.

To the other person calling me a troll.... Go sit on it.
Ok, but why a swim test like the USMC? Do you realize what the USMC swim test is?

And you have truly strange hiring practice, you invite someone to an interview because they were among the most qualified, yet make a false assumption about the applicant's ability to pass your tests.

If you have a body fat percentage max for your employees, why not put that down on the job ad? Is an applicant suppose to guess at this or something?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I don't understand how if he had a lot of experience in the job you were taking apps for if he can't do what is required?

To answer your original question, sometimes I think peeps are so desperate that no, they don't read the job description and just shoot off resumes. I used to hire for a job that required a professional license and master's degree and get a fair share of high school and college grads in completely different fields w no experience for the job.
Yes, people do just shoot off resumes, but this applicant obviously was one of the most qualified since he landed an interview, unless the OP interviews every applicant which would be a huge waste of resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search