Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:57 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a job on Tuesday, and I'm super nervous. I don't think I interview well at all, and it's a corporate startup job rather than the laidback creative startup I work with now.

I'm preparing my ass off, and am having hubby conduct mock interviews with me, but I'm worried all my efforts will go right out the window during the real interview, because I tend to freeze up and stumble over my words, even if I've rehearsed.

Whenever I have a drink though, I'm much more fluid, natural and confident. I don't mean getting fratboy hammered either. Just ONE glass of red wine or a shot of vodka. That amount would take the edge off, but I'd still seem perfectly sober -- just a less stiff, forced demeanor that I tend to get when nervous.

Has anyone else done/considered this? Is it a completely terrible idea? I could brush my teeth so they don't smell the alcohol on my breath, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
lol, nice one. of course i would recommend against it since it can backfire.

but you don't necessarily sound like an alcoholic so i'll go against what everyone else is going to say and say that you should try it out with your husband. have a glass of wine, then do a mock interview with your husband 30 minutes later after you brush your teeth and ask him for an assessment.

he needs to make sure that he can't smell alcohol on your breath and that your speech isn't slurred, etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Hey I say give it a shot (no pun intended). Brush your teeth/mouthwash and have a mint or something and you'll be straight!

Old 11-01-2014, 11:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Absolutely no! I can smell of a person has had one drink. I can't tell you how many times I have met up with a friend and to me they reek after one drink.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 PM

If I quickly gulp down a shot of plain vodka and brush my teeth, use mouthwash, and chew gum (*before* of course), hopefully it wouldn't be detectable on my breath?

Unless the interviewer lady happens to jump up and passionately french kiss me. And if it got to that point, I'm pretty sure I'd be past the point of being eliminated for having a drink.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If I quickly gulp down a shot of plain vodka and brush my teeth, use mouthwash, and chew gum (*before* of course), hopefully it wouldn't be detectable on my breath?

Unless the interviewer lady happens to jump up and passionately french kiss me. And if that happened, I'm pretty sure she'd like me enough where having a little nooncap wouldn't scare her off.
Talk to a friendly physician. And get him or her to give you a couple of suitable pills. Than try them with hubby before you consider using them.

I could generally pick up alcohol even a hangover. It would not kill you but you really better be good if I do think I detect it. Basically you start off dow 10 points. Even if fully coherent. I don't care if you are or are not a drinker...I worry about anyone who need alcohol as a crutch.

You might also try Toastmasters and other speaker programs. It is a learned skill. I stutter though it is no longer detectable. Still have trouble before a TV camera.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:30 AM

403 posts, read 557,138 times
If I was the interviewer and happened to smell alcohol on your breath, I would end the interview right then and move on to the next applicant. My employees make a lot of presentations to clients and potential clients so I'd be thinking, "If she has to drink for an interview, will she also have to drink to make a presentation to a client?"

Old 11-02-2014, 12:39 AM

259 posts, read 522,490 times
I've never done it, never needed to do it, and never will do it. My drink comes *after* I get the job offer. If you're so nervous for an interview that you need some sort of substance to "take the edge off" I'd consider you get some sort of counseling. I mean that as solid advice; not to be mean.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 AM

269 posts, read 370,921 times
Don't do it...I drink like a fish and even I have never had a drink before an interview. These days I don't get very nervous in interviews. I feel confident in my skills, knowledge and presentation and this does come across. I suggest you try to figure out what is making you nervous and work on overcoming that.

Good luck

Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
Don't do it...I drink like a fish and even I have never had a drink before an interview. These days I don't get very nervous in interviews. I feel confident in my skills, knowledge and presentation and this does come across. I suggest you try to figure out what is making you nervous and work on overcoming that.

Good luck
Well, it's mainly that there is absolutely ZERO room for error. In interviews, if you get lost for words for even 2 seconds, or if you even blink the wrong way, you're doomed. You have to come across as an over achieving genius, ultra charismatic, absolutely perfect in every nuanced way...you basically have to be God. lol

Interviews are all about them searching for ANY reason to eliminate the candidate.

And if rejected, you could end up on the external HR blacklist...yeah, that's actually a thing nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search