Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 PM

399 posts, read 568,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thanks for the laugh in the post above, dmk!

It's not that some mothers (not the op) don't trust the job they did - the job they did resulted in "He won't do it if I don't take him."

Having said that, I think the op is just curious and doing some digging on her own to get more information.

There's nothing wrong with guiding and advising our children as they enter new phases of their lives, and if a parent doesn't know how to guide and advise, it's best to get some answers first.
Oh, it burns me alive, I tell you. I have 3 boys. I've so far had one of each (light a fire up under your behind and I can do it by myself). The only constant they've had is NEITHER myself or my husband will do it for you.

Mr. Light a fire up under your behind didn't get it together until I kicked him out. Good kid, but lacked some motivation to do it once it got tough. Shortly after his 20th birthday he had to leave the house. Shortly after that? Miracle of all miracles shortly after that he fell into a career he loved, bought a house and we're waiting very patiently for him to propose to this lovely young lady.

Mr. I can do it myself has always been I'm gonna do it myself. Had colleges picked out and sent out his acceptance before he told us. Literally handed us the bill and said... this is the balance after all my grants and scholarships. Can you guys write the check please?

The third is still a preteen and could go either way, but will most likely be somewhere in the middle with the majority leaning towards, I'll do it.

We raised good ones, but in the same breath, I can't STAND overgrown babies. I have 2 in here right, law school interns who can't tell their head from a hole in the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 04:08 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Engineering
Computer Science
Accounting
Yes, that's it. The only people who get decent jobs after college are engineers, IT workers, and accountants. That is it. Everyone else is working retail.

Where did you get that crazy idea?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:11 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Forget the Enterprise. It's a joke
The guy is working retail and you're telling them to pass on that? They make $40-45k, have benefits, and pick up skills to transfer to management and sales positions elsewhere. It's the perfect example of a straight out of college job. Hard? Yes. Fun? No. Pays decent for a recent grad? Yes. Has benefits? Yes. Pick up work experience to move up in the workforce? Yes.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Yes, that's it. The only people who get decent jobs after college are engineers, IT workers, and accountants. That is it. Everyone else is working retail.

She said computer science... Not IT.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:39 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,980 times
Quote:

I agree that this is a really stupid statement. There are many other degrees that will land someone a good job after graduation. No matter what degree one gets, he or she cannot simply expect a good to fall in his or her lap once school is over. There are many things that once can do while in school and before graduation to make it much easier to find a job, or even have one waiting on him or her when graduation comes around.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 PM

223 posts, read 321,530 times
Quote:
The guy is working retail and you're telling them to pass on that? They make $40-45k, have benefits, and pick up skills to transfer to management and sales positions elsewhere. It's the perfect example of a straight out of college job. Hard? Yes. Fun? No. Pays decent for a recent grad? Yes. Has benefits? Yes. Pick up work experience to move up in the workforce? Yes.
Actually, in 2009 when I interviewed with Enterprise for a MIT position, the pay was only $35k and you were expected to work 50+ hours a week. I didn't pass the phone interview and thank God I didn't.

OP: I agree with what others said about your son doing his own research and choosing his own career path. However, I'm going to say that $15/hour is pretty good for a first job. I graduated from college December 2009 and started my first "real" job two weeks later in January 2010. It was a soulless, mind-numbing job, especially because I was basically on a three month contract that got extended three times. That job had no benefits but luckily I still had health insurance through my mom's work (this was pre-ACA so luckily her insurance covered me no questions asked until age 23 - I was 22). My pay was $13.50/hour and I didn't get any paid time off. It sucked, but I knew it wasn't forever. I got extremely lucky and ended up landing a good government job 10 months later. The starting salary was 50% higher than what I was getting paid at my first job, not to mention it included full benefits with paid time off.

So whoever said that his first job would be the be-all, end-all of this man's career - it really isn't. Oh, and my "useless" Bachelor's is in English and Psychology. I'm planning on applying for a Master's program in fall 2015 - my employer will provide full tuition reimbursement for that, too. Good luck to your son, OP!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
Actually, in 2009 when I interviewed with Enterprise for a MIT position, the pay was only $35k and you were expected to work 50+ hours a week. I didn't pass the phone interview and thank God I didn't.

OP: I agree with what others said about your son doing his own research and choosing his own career path. However, I'm going to say that $15/hour is pretty good for a first job. I graduated from college December 2009 and started my first "real" job two weeks later in January 2010. It was a soulless, mind-numbing job, especially because I was basically on a three month contract that got extended three times. That job had no benefits but luckily I still had health insurance through my mom's work (this was pre-ACA so luckily her insurance covered me no questions asked until age 23 - I was 22). My pay was $13.50/hour and I didn't get any paid time off. It sucked, but I knew it wasn't forever. I got extremely lucky and ended up landing a good government job 10 months later. The starting salary was 50% higher than what I was getting paid at my first job, not to mention it included full benefits with paid time off.

So whoever said that his first job would be the be-all, end-all of this man's career - it really isn't. Oh, and my "useless" Bachelor's is in English and Psychology. I'm planning on applying for a Master's program in fall 2015 - my employer will provide full tuition reimbursement for that, too. Good luck to your son, OP!
Wow great advice! How did you get a government job and what type of job?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:12 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
Quote:
When he applied online it asked if he was willing to work on average 46 hours/week. The pay is between $32-38K depending on area I saw somewhere online. Unsure if they provide any benefits.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Oh, it burns me alive, I tell you. I have 3 boys. I've so far had one of each (light a fire up under your behind and I can do it by myself). The only constant they've had is NEITHER myself or my husband will do it for you.

Mr. Light a fire up under your behind didn't get it together until I kicked him out. Good kid, but lacked some motivation to do it once it got tough. Shortly after his 20th birthday he had to leave the house. Shortly after that? Miracle of all miracles shortly after that he fell into a career he loved, bought a house and we're waiting very patiently for him to propose to this lovely young lady.

Mr. I can do it myself has always been I'm gonna do it myself. Had colleges picked out and sent out his acceptance before he told us. Literally handed us the bill and said... this is the balance after all my grants and scholarships. Can you guys write the check please?

The third is still a preteen and could go either way, but will most likely be somewhere in the middle with the majority leaning towards, I'll do it.

We raised good ones, but in the same breath, I can't STAND overgrown babies. I have 2 in here right, law school interns who can't tell their head from a hole in the wall.

I raised two boys that are independent, self-motivated and have already advanced in their careers. But I still guide and counsel them when needed because this is all new to them and they realize I know a thing or two about business. When children respect their parents, they ask for advice. When children lean on their parents for everything little thing, it's something else altogether.

OP doesn't strike me as a helicopter parent, just a concerned parent wanting to learn more.

But I am on the same train you are when it comes to people who aren't motivated to do things for themselves. It makes me wonder who ties their shoes every day.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 PM

163 posts, read 247,439 times
That seems like a good entry level job. I have friends with soc degrees and most of them are considering going back to school since there isn't a demand for that degree in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search