Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,441,492 times

Advertisements

There are basically 2 different types of companies.

Type 1:
The company is huge and there are hundreds of open roles in hundreds of team. They interview you and if you pass their hiring bar, you're hired. They will continue to interview people all day and year long as hire everyone that passes their hire bar. They almost never have hiring freezes. Amazon, Google, etc. are this type of company.

Type 2:
There is 1 opening so the hiring manager has to interview a lot of people and pick who he/she feels is best amongst that group of people. There may be more than 1 person who passes the hiring bar but since there is only 1 opening, they pick the best for the desired salary, etc. OTOH, there may be nobody who passes the hiring bar but the position has been open for so long that they have to pick somebody.

Your situation sounds like #2. In that case, it may drag on forever but as long as you don't get eliminated it is good news. Typically it is in the company's best interest not to let it drag on for too long because good candidates often aren't in the job market for too long so sometimes they find that the candidate that they liked best takes another job, etc.

Just keep at it and until they say no, you're looking good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 AM

67 posts, read 64,200 times
I mean, seriously, how much longer could this go on for?

Just gimme the offer already :/

Old 12-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Just had the interview with the SVP/potential boss's boss...

20 minutes. Wanted to know more about me, what I do at my current job, etc. Is this normal for this call to happen this late in the game after I've been through reference checks, edit test?

She said she would talk to my potential boss and circle back...

Think it went well? But can't tell....

Old 12-23-2014, 02:07 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,788,273 times
Wow. This is getting ridiculous! Good luck....

Old 12-23-2014, 02:17 PM

LOL, I know. Thanks!
Mentally. Exhausted. #hiremealready

Old 12-23-2014, 03:03 PM

32 posts, read 31,313 times
the fact that they keep wanting to talk to you is a good thing, not a bad thing. it's silence that you don't want.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:06 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,872,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysomethingjourno View Post
Thanks, span! Hoping it goes well and I hear something tomorrow or Friday, after Christmas!

And the editor (who would be my boss) just looked at my LinkedIn profile this morning...

And Koko, it's called not using cap and punctuation properly in an informal setting like this - gimme a break.

Wish me luck, all! Thanks for all your support!
Look, usually I'd agree with you, but there's a certain incongruity when a writer refers to himself as "a great journalist" but exhibits something less. It looks like the mod has taken your point of view and deleted my remark as personal but I do hold a professional to a higher standard.

Holiday periods are not good times for corporate decisions - don't meltdown before next week.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:54 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,163,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysomethingjourno View Post
Just had the interview with the SVP/potential boss's boss...

20 minutes. Wanted to know more about me, what I do at my current job, etc. Is this normal for this call to happen this late in the game after I've been through reference checks, edit test?

She said she would talk to my potential boss and circle back...

Think it went well? But can't tell....
It really doesn't matter what's normal. All that matters is that this is the situation you're currently in. Try to stop obsessing - it's Christmas week. It's quite possible nothing will happen this week.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Gotcha. Just wish me luck, all! I've made it so far... and I SO want this job...

Merry Xmas, all!

Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM

I hope my out-of-state status does not hinder me. they know i want to move back to nyc and i lived there last year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search