Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM

687 posts, read 916,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with blah blah blah
Maybe you're the reason so many people have a hard time connecting with jobs.

Seems to me hiring managers want "perfect" candidates, with "exact" skills that you think are relevant to the job position, but fail to recognize how someone might have "pretty friggin close" skills that may not only be just as good once they get to work, but which may actually benefit your organization.

But I guess he or she who crafts their resume with the most key words gets the pick. If you're doing it that way you're making it hard on yourself (but then again maybe you want to do this, and then complain about how it's everyone else and their imperfect resumes' fault) and you may also be missing out on some really great people who bring more skills than you could imagine which "cross over" for the benefit of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times
Well, the one thing I have learned from this thread is to not waste stamps for Thank you notes. I won't bother with them again. I recently wasted a stamp, and that's the last time.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Maybe you're the reason so many people have a hard time connecting with jobs.

Seems to me hiring managers want "perfect" candidates, with "exact" skills that you think are relevant to the job position, but fail to recognize how someone might have "pretty friggin close" skills that may not only be just as good once they get to work, but which may actually benefit your organization.

But I guess he or she who crafts their resume with the most key words gets the pick. If you're doing it that way you're making it hard on yourself (but then again maybe you want to do this, and then complain about how it's everyone else and their imperfect resumes' fault) and you may also be missing out on some really great people who bring more skills than you could imagine which "cross over" for the benefit of all.
Right and then people wonder why I am a perfectionist. I don't know why people care so much about work experience. So I've only had one regular job before...big deal. I work harder than most people with a regular job and I know how to do things for the jobs I'd want to apply for and whatever I don't know I'll learn (if it's a job with technology I'll pick it up fast). If I know how to do something I know how to do something. The setting should not matter. I'm getting so tired of these job ads saying such and such amount of experience. It'd be one thing if you could get an internship but no can't even get into paid internships these days without experience. Does work experience come out of thin air? Because if all these companies are asking for experience where do you get the experience? *waits for someone to say volunteering*

Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better (relevant to the job you apply to)!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-Don't talk too much (we did not submit them for an interview solely for this reason unfortunately)
-What else can I think of now?

I have a liberal arts degree and a history of menial jobs. There aren't any 'career-related' jobs to which I can refer on my resume. When I apply for non-menial jobs any relevant skills I have are skills that have not been applied on the job; there is a disconnect between the skills required and the skills I have applied at work. This disconnect, of course, only gets worse over time. Is there a solution?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,257 times
Kinda funny how so many places want the 'perfect' candidate, yet when you get the job its a dysfunctional hellhole. If I have to bust my butt to live up to my resume and promises in my interview, is it too much to expect the company to live up to the sales pitch they offered? Oh right 'if you don't like it, you can leave' yadda yadda...

Sigh...another 25 years of this crap.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Your industry must be different. Between no cover letters and no thank you emails, it's a strange world I'm unfamiliar with.
I agree with that. I'm in the communications field. Beyond the resume and cover letter, all communications with an applicant in the interview process are important. If I'm hiring someone to work in public relations, for example, I need to know if they are able to practice good office etiquette; if they answer phone messages in a timely manner and how they do it; how they respond to uncertainty or disappointment; if they can write clearly when they don't have tons of time to edit and rewrite, etc. It's helpful for me to see them handle requests for information, especially if they don't really know what I want to hear.

Lots of people can communicate effectively face-to-face. When they have to employ other methods to interact, it's surprising how inept some of the most delightful people are. I learned that while teaching at a university and my personal observations have been confirmed by studies. Invariably, the student in a class who is most talkative, is leader in classroom discussions, and sounds perfectly intelligent turns in unacceptable written work and/or fails to complete assignments, usually because they have misunderstood or ignored the instructions. These are people who have learned to skate by on their charm and gift of the gab. Remove one-on-one interactions from the picture and they are ineffective communicators and often unreliable workers.

If someone works in a field where being an inarticulate rube is not an issue, fine. There are some of those. But in jobs where an employee will interact with customers, the public, and/or the media, a good company wants a representative who reflects positively on the brand.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 01-13-2015 at 04:26 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Right and then people wonder why I am a perfectionist. I don't know why people care so much about work experience. So I've only had one regular job before...big deal. I work harder than most people with a regular job and I know how to do things for the jobs I'd want to apply for and whatever I don't know I'll learn (if it's a job with technology I'll pick it up fast). If I know how to do something I know how to do something. The setting should not matter. I'm getting so tired of these job ads saying such and such amount of experience. It'd be one thing if you could get an internship but no can't even get into paid internships these days without experience. Does work experience come out of thin air? Because if all these companies are asking for experience where do you get the experience? *waits for someone to say volunteering*
Work experience comes from work.

Everyone and their dog Spot describe themselves as hard workers and fast learners. Get a job and prove it.

Get your foot in the entry level door and start taking on more responsibilities.

Candidates who are employed are always more attractive to employers. Some employers will not even consider the application of a candidate who is currently unemployed.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-13-2015 at 05:20 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 05:27 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Forget cover letters and thank you notes. Networking is where it's at.

Some 70% of the currently employed can name one or more people who either guided them to, told them about, or advocated for them to have their current position.

Join professional organizations, Toastmasters.... Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, help out with the Rotary's pancake breakfast...

The world is flat full of chances to prove what a dedicated, hard working, fast learner you are to those looking for employees/colleagues with those exact same qualities.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have a liberal arts degree and a history of menial jobs. There aren't any 'career-related' jobs to which I can refer on my resume. When I apply for non-menial jobs any relevant skills I have are skills that have not been applied on the job; there is a disconnect between the skills required and the skills I have applied at work. This disconnect, of course, only gets worse over time. Is there a solution?

Would also like to know as well for it can a downward spiral for the LA grad. Now yes LA grads are certainly able to land the non-menial jobs in spite of their degree being regarded as largely "useless" and build up those precious career skills to cover for the "useless" degree. But for those LA grads who are not able to land that marketing assistant, editorial assistant, receptionist, communications assistant, administrative assistant etc... what do they do when applying for work that either prefer a specific degree or want career experience that cannot be found working in menial jobs?

And yes it does get worse over time.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Well, the one thing I have learned from this thread is to not waste stamps for Thank you notes. I won't bother with them again. I recently wasted a stamp, and that's the last time.
I'm with you, I hate wasting stamps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search