Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You think employed and the unemployed are equal in terms of qualities that employers deem "good employees"?

How many applications have you screened? I've screened 100s per week and did refs/backgrounds daily. Yes, I " assume", based on practical experience.
I guess you never heard the phrase " assume nothing". There's a reason why it exists. Just because someone is employed does not mean they are better then someone unemployed. Many people over the last few years were let go, like myself, due to things totally out of our control yet we still look for work. But what we find are people like you who insist on punishing us and holding us back from gainful employment due to the "assumption" that we are unemployed due to being poor employees. There is simply no excuse for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Are there some unemployed that are bad sure but they are in no way, shape, or form, disproportionate to the good. But you just go on assuming everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You think employed and the unemployed are equal in terms of qualities that employers deem "good employees"?

How many applications have you screened? I've screened 100s per week and did refs/backgrounds daily. Yes, I " assume", based on practical experience.
There are reason that many employers prefer to hire those already employed. We can post all week about it not being fair to the hardworking, capable unemployed amidst the slackers, but that's the way it is.

By the way, the best way to prove that you are hard working is to actually be working hard.

Recalling the dismissive remark about volunteering earlier in this threat, I couldn't help but remember the two guys who were hired after volunteering at a pancake breakfast.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
I would just like to point out that the OP does NOT represent every single boss or hiring manager in the world.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 AM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Several years ago I applied for a receptionist position at a doctor's office and they made me take a 50 question personality test. The office manager also asked me "If you could choose to be any animal, which one would you be and why?" I think the look on my face eliminated any chance I had of getting the job. Seriously? A personality test for some crappy $10 an hour office job?
My daughter was put off by a dog walking franchise that wanted her to complete three 500 word essay questions for a minimum wage prn (on call 7 days a week 7:00AM - 7:00PM) job that required her to drive to people's homes (no mileage reimbursement) up to 25 miles away. Seriously?, indeed!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There are reason that many employers prefer to hire those already employed. We can post all week about it not being fair to the hardworking, capable unemployed amidst the slackers, but that's the way it is.

By the way, the best way to prove that you are hard working is to actually be working hard.

Recalling the dismissive remark about volunteering earlier in this threat, I couldn't help but remember the two guys who were hired after volunteering at a pancake breakfast.
If you were let go through no fault of your own there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to find new employment but thanks to hr/hm buffoonery too many of us can't. I spent 16 years as a property manager and now I can't get back in? Nor get anything else? There is no excuse for this.

BTW I work on an as needed basis at a church. I fill in for the maintenance guy, I set up and break down special events, I am even clear cutting an historic cemetery on the property. When asked what I have been doing for the past two years? I respond looking for work plus what I have already mentioned at the church. The responses vary from harumphs to dead silence. So tell me again how being a hard worker actually matters.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:23 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
My daughter was put off by a dog walking franchise that wanted her to complete three 500 word essay questions for a minimum wage prn (on call 7 days a week 7:00AM - 7:00PM) job that required her to drive to people's homes (no mileage reimbursement) up to 25 miles away. Seriously?, indeed!

Now that is down right ridiculous! Those people need a swift kick in the rear end.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:31 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
I guess you never heard the phrase " assume nothing". There's a reason why it exists. Just because someone is employed does not mean they are better then someone unemployed. Many people over the last few years were let go, like myself, due to things totally out of our control yet we still look for work. But what we find are people like you who insist on punishing us and holding us back from gainful employment due to the "assumption" that we are unemployed due to being poor employees. There is simply no excuse for this.
Hiring was never my decision. My job was simply to receive, screen, pass on applications, and conduct background checks and references. If there were any exceptional notations (good or bad), then it was my job to advise the hiring manager of a recommendation or no recommendation. In the majority of cases, I did not give an opinion, simply the result of the checks.

"Assume nothing" is great in theory for people who do not have to choose between 50 "could-be's". When things don't add up, we move on.

My background is in policing, not business, hence my job to investigate, not decide. If it sounds like BS, it probably is. I assume nothing, that is a given on my LE background, that doesn't mean I had time to be a charity and chase down 49 other people to get their side of a story.

I don't think some of you realize how many people apply for jobs and what in practical terms, that entails for the hiring process. It was an eye opener, I'll say that. I was applicant #102 for that job.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:52 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
If you were let go through no fault of your own there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to find new employment but thanks to hr/hm buffoonery too many of us can't. I spent 16 years as a property manager and now I can't get back in? Nor get anything else? There is no excuse for this.

BTW I work on an as needed basis at a church. I fill in for the maintenance guy, I set up and break down special events, I am even clear cutting an historic cemetery on the property. When asked what I have been doing for the past two years? I respond looking for work plus what I have already mentioned at the church. The responses vary from harumphs to dead silence. So tell me again how being a hard worker actually matters.
HOAs, retirement communities, shopping malls, apartment buildings, hotels, rental agencies, office complexes... all need property managers. BLS predicts healthy job growth.

So why do you think you can't get another job as a property manager? Or any other job for that matter?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Slavery is over. Employees are not property.
Many businesses today seem to think that they are property.

- mandating employees be available on weekends.
- requiring employees to check email on their days off.
- requiring employees to attend happy hour at a local bar.

And last but not least is the obsession with the 9-5, 40 hour workweek. Instead of employing 2 people for 30 hours a week, a business will hire 1 person for 40 hours a week plus overtime and burn them out in 5 years.

This isent Henry Ford's factory in 1915 ... this is 2015. The 9-5, 40 hour workweek is inefficient.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:02 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
If hiring managers hired on a first come first serve basis, would there still be enough jobs to go around? What would be the excuse for someone to be unemployed then?

Laziness or weak economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search