Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 02:49 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takingnames View Post
Gods. I've read all the replies in this thread and I find it all frustrating. I've been out of work for 7 years because I had to take care of my elderly parents. Yes, my skills are rusty, my certifications expired. I know my resume doesn't look so good, but there are reasons for that. You know, I did the right thing. I sacrificed my career and years of my life to leave the workforce and take care of my parents. My mother had Alzheimer's Disease and for years couldn't be left alone. After my father died I was stuck dealing with her crazy ideas and demands. I did the honorable thing with little help from the other family members. I just wish there was a single hiring manager who recognized and respected that.

I can be a good employee, better than most. I apply and apply and get nothing back. At this point I'm looking for any kind of entry-level job and there are none to be had.

I have two Bachelor degrees and decades of good service with various companies. One would think hiring managers would be glad to have me apply. But no, nothing. Nuts. I don't want to complain, don't want to sound whiny but I am utterly frustrated with the whole process. The way American companies hire seems clearly broken to me.

I could turn Valentino's OP around and ask him some tough questions (and I've noticed he hasn't returned to reply to anything said here.) I'm 47 years old, why are companies still interested in my High School classes? Why do they want to know my pay from 10 years ago? They always ask "can we contact this employer?" Well, let's see, I last worked there 9 years ago and no one who worked with me is still around or remembers me, but sure, go ahead if that makes you happy. I can only guess what hiring managers think if I check the "no" box.

And for the love of God what's with the personality exams? It's been long ago proven by numerous studies that those things are a complete waste of time and say nothing useful. Yet nearly every company still insists that I fill them out. I've been denied interviews based solely on the results of a test administered by a third party. No way to talk it out or ask questions, strictly a mysterious system of pass/fail with no explanation. I've passed a hundred tests in college but if I answer a couple questions wrong on the personality exam I'm SOL. Arrrggghgh!

I tell you, I'm the most frustrated man in Florida right now and it's because of the crappy job market and the hiring managers who demand 200 years worth of experience for a minimum job. Sorry I'm not the most perfect human to have ever lived, I still think I can stand behind your damned cash register in a competent manner.

At least it's good to know that the writing of Thank You! notes is unnecessary. That and I'm not the only one bemoaning the current mess of a system.
Hiring managers don't give a rip that you cared for your elderly parents for seven years.

Your skills are rusty and your certifications are expired. Do something about that.

You need someone who will provide a current reference. Get down to your local temporary employment agencies and see about getting out on temp jobs.

The majority of job openings are never advertised. They are either filled by word of mouth or via temp agencies. Employers try out employees on a temporary basis. Those that turn out to be a good fit get a job offer.

15 Myths and Misconceptions About Job-Hunting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 04:46 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You have a number of options besides endlessly apply for jobs where you don't get hired.

Go to your local state job center. See if you qualify for assistance. There are various programs, depending on the state, to help the long-term unemployed get back n the work force.

Are you a veteran? There are job programs for veterans as well.

Local community college will likely have a career center with aptitude and interest tests. No cost way to determine if there might be other career fields you would be a good fit. HVAC? Truck driving? Welding Certification? ... There are often grants available for low-income students.

As you look into other career paths, check to make sure there are job opportunities available. Request informational interviews with employers to discuss what you would need to bring to the table to be qualified to be hired.

Start networking. Join Toastmasters to develop your public speaking skills and meet people from all over your community.

Start volunteering at projects like Habitat for Humanity where you will meet people who might inform you of job openings they know about.

Get down to your local temporary employment agencies and register.

Some 80% of job openings are never advertised. But they get filled. Figure out how.

15 Myths and Misconceptions About Job-Hunting

Beats helping the janitor set up those folding chairs for the next 19 years.
While most of this is interesting I will never work for a temp agency again. I did that a few years ago and was assigned to a local firm to manage three properties. Two owned by a neighboring state. Well after six months I was going to be hired as of January 1st and get a raise but upper management bungled the rebid and the owner refused to hire anyone for the third property. I was let go on 12/30. So I went back to the temp agency and they had nothing. So, per their policy I called everyday and after a week of this they told me to stop and, even though it violated their policy, I was told "don't call us we will call you when we have something". I began to collect unemployment and after about a month I received letters from the state telling me I had quit and to pay back my unemployment or appeal. I hired an attorney who specializes in ui law, went through the appeal process, and beat the scumbags. It cost me $800.00 I didn't have. My attorney told me to avoid temp agencies in the future as they all pull these criminal games. He also told me that most companies that use temp agencies do so to avoid paying benefits.
I would sooner starve to death on the street than work for temps again.

The state job office here is a joke.

The maintenance man doesn't have anything to do with events. That's all me and its way more then just chairs and tables. Also I said I fill in for the maintenance man.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
I love the part about being a veteran. You know what being a veteran means in a city full of veterans? Not jack squat.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
While most of this is interesting I will never work for a temp agency again. I did that a few years ago and was assigned to a local firm to manage three properties. Two owned by a neighboring state. Well after six months I was going to be hired as of January 1st and get a raise but upper management bungled the rebid and the owner refused to hire anyone for the third property. I was let go on 12/30. So I went back to the temp agency and they had nothing. So, per their policy I called everyday and after a week of this they told me to stop and, even though it violated their policy, I was told "don't call us we will call you when we have something". I began to collect unemployment and after about a month I received letters from the state telling me I had quit and to pay back my unemployment or appeal. I hired an attorney who specializes in ui law, went through the appeal process, and beat the scumbags. It cost me $800.00 I didn't have. My attorney told me to avoid temp agencies in the future as they all pull these criminal games. He also told me that most companies that use temp agencies do so to avoid paying benefits.
I would sooner starve to death on the street than work for temps again.

The state job office here is a joke.

The maintenance man doesn't have anything to do with events. That's all me and its way more then just chairs and tables. Also I said I fill in for the maintenance man.
Sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience with a temp agency. But appears you were able to get back on UI benefits, so guess it all turned out, for a while at least.

Gotta wonder why an employment agency told you, "Don't call us, we'll call you."

Lots of companies use temp agencies to avoid paying benefits and to have flexibility in their work force.

But other companies use it as a way to test out prospective employees. Many companies, particularly smaller ones, simply aren't able to sort through the flood of applications they get when they post a job. They let the temp agencies do the sorting, they try them out. If it doesn't work, no harm, no foul, no lawsuits and UI to pay.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM

The milk of human kindness is running a little thin these days. I doubt we'll be seeing UI benefits extensions any time soon. Budget cuts to Food Stamps, etc. Plans afoot to cut Social Security. ... The safety net is stretching thinner by the day.

Job service is a joke. VA services don't do jack squat. Temp agencies are ruthless.

So what are long-term unemployed people planning on to do?

Blaming everyone else for your troubles may be satisfying, but it isn't going to solve things.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-15-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better (relevant to the job you apply to)!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-Don't talk too much (we did not submit them for an interview solely for this reason unfortunately)
-What else can I think of now?

Learn how to blind copy also... quite important lol

Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
This actually happened to me yesterday. Just for a volunteer position so not a dealbreaker, but wow! I can't believe the privacy violation for a job seeker, imagine the consequences.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Add to the list: be sure to know basic computer / internet / email skills. without these you are worthless.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:39 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The milk of human kindness is running a little thin these days. I doubt we'll be seeing UI benefits extensions any time soon. Budget cuts to Food Stamps, etc. Plans afoot to cut Social Security. ... The safety net is getting thinner by the day.

Job service is a joke. VA services don't do jack squat. Temp agencies are ruthless.

So what are long-term unemployed people planning on to do?

Blaming everyone else for your troubles may be satisfying, but it isn't going to solve things.
One has to put the blame squarely where it belongs. Things are only going to get worse now that the republicans have started their scorched earth policy to benefit corporate criminal america.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
One has to put the blame squarely where it belongs. Things are only going to get worse now that the republicans have started their scorched earth policy to benefit corporate criminal america.
Assigning blame only gets you so far. What are you going to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search