Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 05:05 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times

Advertisements

Not sure what all this "networking" stuff is about; I have one computer and it isnt on any type of network with any other computers so I dont see how thats going to help me find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Not sure what all this "networking" stuff is about; I have one computer and it isnt on any type of network with any other computers so I dont see how thats going to help me find a job.
You go to the sites below to network so you can be in a position to be invited for a interview

Facebook
Twitter
Linkedin
Instagram

Networking face to face will include people like

1. Your Barber/Hairdresser
2. Friends
3. Family
4. Neighbors
5. Cashiers at neighborhood markets or pharmacies

Old 01-25-2015, 05:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 2,575,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In addition to poor spelling on a resume, how about when they don't change the cover letter? I've actually received some that say they were excited to see a job listing for (some job title that doesn't exist here), and then tell me why they want to work at (some other company).

If they cannot get the basics right....

Yes, people make mistakes and you are right to disqualify. But the job market/ search is brutal and mistakes happen in trying to get the job applications out. Again, I understand disqualifying them.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The bachelor's degree's primary value now is as a pass through the first round of application cuts. In most fields, the days when a bachelor's degree was seen as practical training for specific jobs is decades in the past.
There in lies the rub, and to the other guy who suggested networking, I've seen it with my own eyes that networking trumps many degrees or what school you went to or what experience you have. It's rampant in the medical field in my area.

Companies are devaluing college degrees and taking advantage of numerous candidates in the job pool, and dismissing a qualified candidate who's unemployed is a pretty dumb idea.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:42 AM

491 posts, read 472,085 times
Hey...can you offer any advice to a 30 year old woman who has worked minimum wage (food service, retail) for her entire working life?

I did graduate college (with a perhaps not that great degree). How would someone with a work history like mine pull a resume out of their butt only having had jobs that perhaps are not that impressive to a hiring manager at a more...um...respectable company?

*sigh* In the words of one blogger I read, "You've already done irreversible damage to your resume." Well gee, thanks, sorry I needed to pay my bills but the world made good jobs so damn hard to get.

Yeah, I know, I sound as bad as that chick whining about the snowstorm. Have at it.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
You go to the sites below to network so you can be in a position to be invited for a interview

Facebook
Twitter
Linkedin
Instagram

Networking face to face will include people like

1. Your Barber/Hairdresser
2. Friends
3. Family
4. Neighbors
5. Cashiers at neighborhood markets or pharmacies
I steer clear of any of those 4 except for FB which is for games only; I dont see how playing them is going to get me an interview.

As for the "networking face to face" isnt that just what we used to call "word of mouth" or "talk around town"?

My hairdresser will only talk about me going to beauty school, i have no friends, my family lives in different cities/states, the neighbors i actually do talk to are retired, and the local cashiers cant get me hired much less get me an interview.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I steer clear of any of those 4 except for FB which is for games only; I dont see how playing them is going to get me an interview.
Popularity has replaced competency in today's workplace.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:07 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Popularity has replaced competency in today's workplace.
This x 1000!!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
Hey...can you offer any advice to a 30 year old woman who has worked minimum wage (food service, retail) for her entire working life?

I did graduate college (with a perhaps not that great degree). How would someone with a work history like mine pull a resume out of their butt only having had jobs that perhaps are not that impressive to a hiring manager at a more...um...respectable company?

*sigh* In the words of one blogger I read, "You've already done irreversible damage to your resume." Well gee, thanks, sorry I needed to pay my bills but the world made good jobs so damn hard to get.

Yeah, I know, I sound as bad as that chick whining about the snowstorm. Have at it.

I would look to work in a small office to get my foot in the door in that kind of environment. Perhaps a receptionist position. Learn as much as you can, take classes to learn as much as you can in Excel and PowerPoint. Improve your speed and accuracy when typing. And tell your manager you're willing to work on any project that may arise. If you do that for a couple of years and can say your skills in Excel and PP are proficient, you'll have a good starting point to move into other areas in the business world.

Or you may find someone willing to give you a shot in sales if you think you'd be good at that.

All is not lost, you just need a break. Best of luck!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM

491 posts, read 472,085 times
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search