Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So is the OP when he sends out mass e-mails to dozens of candidates where everyone can see everyone else's e-mail address.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Good question, I guess the best way I can answer that is if one particular method does not work then I will switch to another method and give that a try. Or I will take a (once) tired and true method and alter it as need be. I don't think that there is any universal "if you do a,b,c it will lead to a job 100% of the time", so I am open to tweaking the resume, job hunting as need be.
But how do you figure which one to switch to or what to switch around? Do you ask the employer for feedback? What if they don't give you it? I guess this is always going to be depressing to me because I'm always wanting the right answer. I don't like the uncertainty.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
But how do you figure which one to switch to or what to switch around? Do you ask the employer for feedback? What if they don't give you it? I guess this is always going to be depressing to me because I'm always wanting the right answer. I don't like the uncertainty.
Employers are not there for feedback they are not career coaches

Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Employers are not there for feedback they are not career coaches
Yeah I didn't think so. So if I can't ask them then I'm screwed because I'll never know what I'm supposed to do. A career coach can't live inside their head so they can't give you what the answer would be for whoever you're applying for. At best I could read the interviewer but most of the time I can't even get an interview and even reading them doesn't really help because it will only tell me that I've said the wrong thing not tell me what they want to hear. This is why I'm iffy about going into Staples to ask about my application. It could be a repeat of Petco all over again. The crazy thing is I've never tried so hard for anything in my life to the point of even when I'm not trying I actually am trying. I try to figure out what the best course of action is so that's why I don't always go in and do it but every way I think of gets me nowhere.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Yeah I didn't think so. So if I can't ask them then I'm screwed because I'll never know what I'm supposed to do. A career coach can't live inside their head so they can't give you what the answer would be for whoever you're applying for. At best I could read the interviewer but most of the time I can't even get an interview and even reading them doesn't really help because it will only tell me that I've said the wrong thing not tell me what they want to hear. This is why I'm iffy about going into Staples to ask about my application. It could be a repeat of Petco all over again. The crazy thing is I've never tried so hard for anything in my life to the point of even when I'm not trying I actually am trying. I try to figure out what the best course of action is so that's why I don't always go in and do it but every way I think of gets me nowhere.
These were things that helped me succeed in previous interviews

1. Having small talk with the interviewer before the interview starts

2. Letting the interviewer do most of the talking

3. Looking very excited to be in the interviewer's presence

4. Asking the interviewer's opinions on certain things about the company

5. Highlighting why my personality was a good fit for previous environments

Now you can still do all of this and not get the job because sometimes the interviewer has a certain person in mind they feel will fit in with the team

Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Don't expect a prospective employer to tell you what you do wrong and why you are not hired.

They and the top labor attorneys in the country figure that when someone does such a thing, they are looking for the HM/HR to tell them something that could give them an opening to sue the company. For self preservation and the companies, they are not about to tell you what you are asking them to tell you.

The true and real answer is almost always, 'Someone else was better qualified for the job due to education, experience, and impressed them better than you did'.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Don't expect a prospective employer to tell you what you do wrong and why you are not hired.

They and the top labor attorneys in the country figure that when someone does such a thing, they are looking for the HM/HR to tell them something that could give them an opening to sue the company. For self preservation and the companies, they are not about to tell you what you are asking them to tell you.

The true and real answer is almost always, 'Someone else was better qualified for the job due to education, experience, and impressed them better than you did'.
Or someone else seemed like a better fit because of their personality which would mean the OP did not do anything wrong.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:15 AM

332 posts, read 868,210 times
Quote:
If you mean right answers to interview questions there really is no right answer. You have to look back at your experience and figure out how you can make it sound like that experience fits into the skill they are looking for. When you identify those experiences play it up a little and always maintain an air of confidence and look approachable. Really, interviews are all about bull****. You have to be the fakest person you can be to mold yourself for them. Most often the interviewer is also bs'ing with you. Right now you may be young and looking for retail jobs but when you start looking for more stable jobs interviews will just get tougher. HR can be very judgmental and lie to you so be sure to get everything in writing even the job offer.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:39 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
The only option I can see is to keep looking and never give up. Beyond that there are no steps but you know that or you wouldn't have asked the question.
You have a number of options besides endlessly apply for jobs where you don't get hired.

Go to your local state job center. See if you qualify for assistance. There are various programs, depending on the state, to help the long-term unemployed get back n the work force.

Are you a veteran? There are job programs for veterans as well.

Local community college will likely have a career center with aptitude and interest tests. No cost way to determine if there might be other career fields you would be a good fit. HVAC? Truck driving? Welding Certification? ... There are often grants available for low-income students.

As you look into other career paths, check to make sure there are job opportunities available. Request informational interviews with employers to discuss what you would need to bring to the table to be qualified to be hired.

Start networking. Join Toastmasters to develop your public speaking skills and meet people from all over your community.

Start volunteering at projects like Habitat for Humanity where you will meet people who might inform you of job openings they know about.

Get down to your local temporary employment agencies and register.

Some 80% of job openings are never advertised. But they get filled. Figure out how.

15 Myths and Misconceptions About Job-Hunting

Beats helping the janitor set up those folding chairs for the next 19 years.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
These were things that helped me succeed in previous interviews

1. Having small talk with the interviewer before the interview starts

2. Letting the interviewer do most of the talking

3. Looking very excited to be in the interviewer's presence

4. Asking the interviewer's opinions on certain things about the company

5. Highlighting why my personality was a good fit for previous environments

Now you can still do all of this and not get the job because sometimes the interviewer has a certain person in mind they feel will fit in with the team
Great advice.

The last line especially.

Network and you could be the one they have in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search