Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 12:41 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Here's some of my favorites from the other side of the fence:

Job posting from Fortune 500 full of grammatical errors and typos.....HR throws out resume for typos and grammatical errors

Job posting: Minimum requirements bachelors degree, preferred requirements 17 phd's

Job posting: Accountant: Pay range 44k - 120k

Job posting: Thank you for navigating our highly dysfunctional application system, please fill out this 60 minute personality test.

Third interview and my current employer is figuring out by now that Im interviewing....Thank you for applying but we went with another candidate, do not reply to this email.

Third interview, no mention of salary.......
Ohh, I got called to schedule a phone interview. 30 minutes later, I got called by the same person to cancel it, saying she just got word from the HM that they hired someone! She did apologize profusely. I checked the listing again, and it was there... most have strong communication skills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
Hey...can you offer any advice to a 30 year old woman who has worked minimum wage (food service, retail) for her entire working life?

I did graduate college (with a perhaps not that great degree). How would someone with a work history like mine pull a resume out of their butt only having had jobs that perhaps are not that impressive to a hiring manager at a more...um...respectable company?

*sigh* In the words of one blogger I read, "You've already done irreversible damage to your resume." Well gee, thanks, sorry I needed to pay my bills but the world made good jobs so damn hard to get.

Yeah, I know, I sound as bad as that chick whining about the snowstorm. Have at it.
"I always wanted to be somebody. Guess I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Got to your local college career center. Take a Holland career inventory. Talk with a career counselor. Figure out a career path that is a good fit for you. Start interviewing people in that career field. Ask their advice. See if they will let you job shadow for a few days. What training do you need? How can you get it?

Many seem to think that a college degree will punch their ticket to a decent career. Only if you focus on a career path.

So what do you want to do with your wild and precious life? Figure that out and start doing it.

Say your goal is to make $100K/ year in a career where you don't have to do a lot of talking to other people. Truck drivers hauling crude out of the Dakotas are making $100K/year. You can earn a CDL in literally weeks. Then pack up and head to the Dakotas.

Say your goal is a career where you can help people and make $100K/year and you don't mind working and studying hard to do it. Start looking into P.A. programs.

Say your goal is job security and decent benefits. What career fields offer that? I know people who have become surgical techs, respiratory therapists, x-ray techs... and love their jobs. You can bet that respiratory therapy jobs are not going to be shipped overseas.

Forget that nonsense about your resume being irreversibly damaged. 70% of folks find their jobs through networking. Just talked with a guy last night who is working at a great data IT job. He said that this is his third job since college. Two of this jobs have been the result of someone encouraging him to apply and putting in a good word. So 66 2/3%.

Join Toastmasters. Get involved in community activities like Habitat for Humanity or??? Get out and meet some people.

Otherwise, you'll be sitting at sixty, posting on C-D about never having done what you wanted to do.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM

346 posts, read 498,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Not so much. We know his employer has him work OT without compensation. I wouldn't call that treating him well, I would call that taking advantage of your employees by violating employment law.

I know that Book Lover wanted to post this as a success story for her husband. I am glad that he has a job. But the employer's behaviour is unethical and illegal.
YES. This was the first thing to jump out at me too. Glad he has a job, but I find it sad that so many are subjected to this abuse because they are desperate and afraid to be unemployed again.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpowering1 View Post
in addition to poor spelling on a resume, how about when they don't change the cover letter? I've actually received some that say they were excited to see a job listing for (some job title that doesn't exist here), and then tell me why they want to work at (some other company).

If they cannot get the basics right....
lol

Old 02-18-2016, 10:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-What else can I think of now?
Please let me know as soon as you can, that either I didn't make the cut, or that I needed to make plans for an interview....I got a denial once (Really surprised as it was a low level position) but it came NINE MONTHS after I had applied...I did let them know that I appreciated that they told me that they were looking elsewhere, but that I sadly died by starvation waiting for the call for an interview...

Yes, never applied again, but damn that felt good.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:58 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Please let me know as soon as you can, that either I didn't make the cut, or that I needed to make plans for an interview....I got a denial once (Really surprised as it was a low level position) but it came NINE MONTHS after I had applied...I did let them know that I appreciated that they told me that they were looking elsewhere, but that I sadly died by starvation waiting for the call for an interview...

Yes, never applied again, but damn that felt good.
Wow, nine months is bad.

I can tell you about a countless number of times that I've called someone to offer them the job only to find out that they had accepted a position somewhere else. They didn't even have the courtesy to let us know. Communication is a two-way street.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Wow, nine months is bad.

I can tell you about a countless number of times that I've called someone to offer them the job only to find out that they had accepted a position somewhere else. They didn't even have the courtesy to let us know. Communication is a two-way street.
How long of a time period from first commutation to the offer?

I use to work for a company that was number 1 in their industry.

We interviewed people ONE time.

All candidates would come in the same day and group interview with the direct manager, managers boss and one team member.

My interview lasted all of 40 minutes and I got the call the next day which wasn't unusual at all for this company.

Companies today spend way too much time going through resumes and more resumes and more resumes, interviewing and interviewing and interviewing and then making people wait and wait and wait................. and then maybe eventually calling with an offer.

All of that is a complete waste of time and money.

Get them in, interview, pick and hire.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:20 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Wow, nine months is bad.

That's one thing I'm sort of envious of. My younger sister worked for 10 years with Citibank. When she moved back to the west coast, she had 6 offers from business/banks one wined and dined her and got her nailed down to the contract and the day she would sign, she called them and said "Changed my mind, going for social work"....

She did admit the caller cursed her as she hung up.....

Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,069 times
Companies take too damn long to hire people then end up hiring the wrong people because the person they wanted was secretly going to better interviews every day.

I just received an offer yesterday morning from my number 2 choice. Today number one choice calls me at 1 PM and scheduled a 3rd round interview. Ha ha, screw off I'm sick of this game. If you can't figure out who you want by the end of round two with the panel and meeting the entire department and CTO and 3 hours of wasted time then how are you going to be when you need to make an executive decision in a slumping economy. 3rd round + interviews are counter productive. All you are going to do is influence your #1 prospect with talent to get scooped up by a company that can make a decision.

I always send a thank you note. But I also have the skills that pay the bills.

If this temp job I'm doing now payed more I'd love to stay at it. I will feel bad when I tell them I'm leaving.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
How long of a time period from first commutation to the offer?

I use to work for a company that was number 1 in their industry.

We interviewed people ONE time.

All candidates would come in the same day and group interview with the direct manager, managers boss and one team member.

My interview lasted all of 40 minutes and I got the call the next day which wasn't unusual at all for this company.

Companies today spend way too much time going through resumes and more resumes and more resumes, interviewing and interviewing and interviewing and then making people wait and wait and wait................. and then maybe eventually calling with an offer.

All of that is a complete waste of time and money.

Get them in, interview, pick and hire.
A phone interview, followed with 3 rounds of interviews back to back (same day). Offer is either given the same day or within 1 week.

The problem right now is we get too many resumes from people that are clearly not qualified. It takes time to weed them out.

Either way, it was distasteful and rude to not let us know that you've accepted another position. The only thing worse (and indicative of ones true nature to the point where it's a blessing for the company) is if the candidate accepts the position and then backs out later on. Talk about lack of professionalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search