Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 04:46 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,897,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I can tell you about a countless number of times that I've called someone to offer them the job only to find out that they had accepted a position somewhere else. They didn't even have the courtesy to let us know. Communication is a two-way street.
Certainly unprofessional; however, one the flip side I've seen threads about companies who fail to send any kind of rejection notice to candidates after they've interviewed them multiple times. I've been on a few interviews where afterwards nobody responds to my call/email to follow up. They don't even send any kind of email stating its been filled; all communication from them ceases. I mean, I get the hint, but it would be nice if you responded to my gentle inquiry about where I stand.

At least your candidates actually spoke to you and delivered the unfortunate news to you. Imagine if they never even bothered responding regarding your offer. That's the worst feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 06:50 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Certainly unprofessional; however, one the flip side I've seen threads about companies who fail to send any kind of rejection notice to candidates after they've interviewed them multiple times. I've been on a few interviews where afterwards nobody responds to my call/email to follow up. They don't even send any kind of email stating its been filled; all communication from them ceases. I mean, I get the hint, but it would be nice if you responded to my gentle inquiry about where I stand.

At least your candidates actually spoke to you and delivered the unfortunate news to you. Imagine if they never even bothered responding regarding your offer. That's the worst feeling.
The only reason they speak to me is because they answer the phone when I call.

You're likely to see more individuals complain about employers than the other way around since employers do not participate on forums for general discussion.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
You're likely to see more individuals complain about employers than the other way around since employers do not participate on forums for general discussion.
That's all very well. But I guess in the hiring process these days, what goes around comes around.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better (relevant to the job you apply to)!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-Don't talk too much (we did not submit them for an interview solely for this reason unfortunately)
-What else can I think of now?
Quote:
Jeepman
Your comments don't sound like they come from an actual hiring manager but an inexperienced HR recruiter.
Wrong Jeepman he is giving you some very good advice. Remember it is two fold. It first will be reviewed by the HR department, and then by the HM. The advice that is given is exactly right. I have been in the HM position well over a thousand of times making a decision who to interview, and that advice he gave is right on track. More people never have a chance at getting a job, as they completely ignore advice like that and what they submit turns off both the HR and HM people that see your application.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Your industry must be different. Between no cover letters and no thank you emails, it's a strange world I'm unfamiliar with.
I actually just had to write my first cover letter ever after about 4 years in my industry. I didn't even know how to write one. I had to google it.

I was so concerned with the format that I ended up making a few grammatical errors. I ended up having to send an updated cover letter, but that didn't seem to matter that much. Interview coming up next week.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Please let me know as soon as you can, that either I didn't make the cut, or that I needed to make plans for an interview....I got a denial once (Really surprised as it was a low level position) but it came NINE MONTHS after I had applied...I did let them know that I appreciated that they told me that they were looking elsewhere, but that I sadly died by starvation waiting for the call for an interview...

Yes, never applied again, but damn that felt good.
I got stood up for an interview a few months ago. I was shocked.

I wasn't sold on the job to begin with and certainly not after that kind of behavior. They emailed me the next day apologizing and asking to set up another interview. I simply didn't respond.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I got stood up for an interview a few months ago. I was shocked.

I wasn't sold on the job to begin with and certainly not after that kind of behavior. They emailed me the next day apologizing and asking to set up another interview. I simply didn't respond.
That is surprising. But if I was interested I might have given them a second chance...Only with more money being offered..(I need my feelings soothed )

Old 02-20-2016, 06:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I actually just had to write my first cover letter ever after about 4 years in my industry. I didn't even know how to write one. I had to google it.

I was so concerned with the format that I ended up making a few grammatical errors. I ended up having to send an updated cover letter, but that didn't seem to matter that much. Interview coming up next week.
Someone I know who works in HR for a small company told me that they don't read the cover letters anyway. Makes me wonder how many are actually read in the case of large companies. Always good to send one though.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Someone I know who works in HR for a small company told me that they don't read the cover letters anyway. Makes me wonder how many are actually read in the case of large companies. Always good to send one though.
Always send one, even though many of them don't read it.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I have seen the word manager misspelled in want ads. Sorry but if the ad is haphazardly done one cannot judge the same against others resumes.
Don't blame that on the HR or HM. Most ads are called in to the newspaper, etc., and they are the one that makes the mistakes like that in ads. Once in the real estate business, I would find mistakes that mattered in my ads. The paper would not charge me for that edition of the paper and would correct the ad and run again. They constantly kept making mistakes for 3 weeks, and I ended up getting 3 weeks of advertising for free. They fired the person that kept making mistakes realizing they were doing the same with other advertisers, and hired someone that knew how to spell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search