Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times

Advertisements

Here's a good reason to hired the unemployed: gratitude.

My husband was out of work for two years. He never stopped looking and was so depressed it broke my heart. When he finally got hired, he broked down and sobbed with tears of joy (probably only the 2rd or 3rd time I've seen him cry in our 20 yrs).

Flash forward four years: he is still so grateful to have a job, he works even harder than he did before. He is loyal to his boss, never complains, works OT without pay and is basically a model employee. He said he never wants to take it for granted.

Is this typical? I don't know. Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Its because of my age for one. I am 46. Another would be that its being held against me for being let go from two positions through no fault of my own. Hr/hm's apparent refusal to verify my recommendation from my longest serving employer of 12 1/2
years.
46, let go from two positions, not worked in two years. Yikes!

What's your plan going forward?

Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
How are you going to decide between 100 applications and one open spot?
Not all places are 100 applications though. There's much more factored into this then one might think.

In government often times there can be residency requirements and/or civil service tests. In the private sector there can be non competitive agreements. Non profits not exactly sure but frankly if someone worked at the opposite it would be hard to argue otherwise. Who is going to go from Brady Hand Gun Control to the NRA etc

In terms of need frankly of course you have to think about if they can do it but I would also argue that what is their lifespan in the organization specifically. Is this someone that is going to quit or retire in two years?

I know the front end is easy to look at. The resume, the past employers, the responsibilities. But what does it mean together? Is this person going to be bored to tears or what? Of course you have to use social media because frankly the image can be there as well. I worked for a guy once that shared the name of some creepy serial killer in a tv show. He does NOT know this but a simple google search shows it

Old 01-14-2015, 02:49 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Not all places are 100 applications though. There's much more factored into this then one might think.

In government often times there can be residency requirements and/or civil service tests. In the private sector there can be non competitive agreements. Non profits not exactly sure but frankly if someone worked at the opposite it would be hard to argue otherwise. Who is going to go from Brady Hand Gun Control to the NRA etc

In terms of need frankly of course you have to think about if they can do it but I would also argue that what is their lifespan in the organization specifically. Is this someone that is going to quit or retire in two years?

I know the front end is easy to look at. The resume, the past employers, the responsibilities. But what does it mean together? Is this person going to be bored to tears or what? Of course you have to use social media because frankly the image can be there as well. I worked for a guy once that shared the name of some creepy serial killer in a tv show. He does NOT know this but a simple google search shows it
I was responding to JMA who said "assume nothing". Your post instantly throws in a bunch of assumptions, then says that not all positions get 100 applicants.

None of which addresses my points. Many jobs do have dozens or hundreds of applicants. Many if those applicants would be qualified, even if you eliminate polar opposites. Quite frankly, most jobs don't have polar opposites. What would be the opposite of a cashier who worked at the gap? Or a property manager anywhere? Or a truck driver.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
As a hiring manager, thank you letters don't sway me in the least. I interviewed three people last week. The worst candidate was the only one to send a thank-you note and she was still the worst candidate after sending it.

I'm not even sure I would use a thank-you note as a tie breaker to make a hiring decision.
I don't think that like nay other thank you is the reason. Apparently you do not get the point; many don't.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Here's a good reason to hired the unemployed: gratitude.

My husband was out of work for two years. He never stopped looking and was so depressed it broke my heart. When he finally got hired, he broked down and sobbed with tears of joy (probably only the 2rd or 3rd time I've seen him cry in our 20 yrs).

Flash forward four years: he is still so grateful to have a job, he works even harder than he did before. He is loyal to his boss, never complains, works OT without pay and is basically a model employee. He said he never wants to take it for granted.

Is this typical? I don't know. Just something to think about.
Loved reading this. I hope his employer values him and treats him well.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Loved reading this. I hope his employer values him and treats him well.
Not so much. We know his employer has him work OT without compensation. I wouldn't call that treating him well, I would call that taking advantage of your employees by violating employment law.

I know that Book Lover wanted to post this as a success story for her husband. I am glad that he has a job. But the employer's behaviour is unethical and illegal.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
46, let go from two positions, not worked in two years. Yikes!

What's your plan going forward?
Just keep looking what else can I do?

Old 01-14-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Just keep looking what else can I do?
Now that's question.

What if you are still looking two years from now? Or four years from now?

What steps can you take to improve your chances?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM

104 posts, read 139,184 times
Gods. I've read all the replies in this thread and I find it all frustrating. I've been out of work for 7 years because I had to take care of my elderly parents. Yes, my skills are rusty, my certifications expired. I know my resume doesn't look so good, but there are reasons for that. You know, I did the right thing. I sacrificed my career and years of my life to leave the workforce and take care of my parents. My mother had Alzheimer's Disease and for years couldn't be left alone. After my father died I was stuck dealing with her crazy ideas and demands. I did the honorable thing with little help from the other family members. I just wish there was a single hiring manager who recognized and respected that.

I can be a good employee, better than most. I apply and apply and get nothing back. At this point I'm looking for any kind of entry-level job and there are none to be had.

I have two Bachelor degrees and decades of good service with various companies. One would think hiring managers would be glad to have me apply. But no, nothing. Nuts. I don't want to complain, don't want to sound whiny but I am utterly frustrated with the whole process. The way American companies hire seems clearly broken to me.

I could turn Valentino's OP around and ask him some tough questions (and I've noticed he hasn't returned to reply to anything said here.) I'm 47 years old, why are companies still interested in my High School classes? Why do they want to know my pay from 10 years ago? They always ask "can we contact this employer?" Well, let's see, I last worked there 9 years ago and no one who worked with me is still around or remembers me, but sure, go ahead if that makes you happy. I can only guess what hiring managers think if I check the "no" box.

And for the love of God what's with the personality exams? It's been long ago proven by numerous studies that those things are a complete waste of time and say nothing useful. Yet nearly every company still insists that I fill them out. I've been denied interviews based solely on the results of a test administered by a third party. No way to talk it out or ask questions, strictly a mysterious system of pass/fail with no explanation. I've passed a hundred tests in college but if I answer a couple questions wrong on the personality exam I'm SOL. Arrrggghgh!

I tell you, I'm the most frustrated man in Florida right now and it's because of the crappy job market and the hiring managers who demand 200 years worth of experience for a minimum job. Sorry I'm not the most perfect human to have ever lived, I still think I can stand behind your damned cash register in a competent manner.

At least it's good to know that the writing of Thank You! notes is unnecessary. That and I'm not the only one bemoaning the current mess of a system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search