Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 06:26 PM

427 posts, read 499,780 times

Advertisements

I need to get something off my chest. I just turned 24 and this is my work history:

2007: 2 weeks at Jimmy Johns
2010: one month at college physical plant doing yard work
2012: 5 months washing dishes in a cafeteria one shift per week
2012: unpaid internship saying hi to people at a museum
2012-2014: work study job doing my homework and saying hi to people at a museum
2015: Papa Johns for three months

I also finished a BA in 2014. It is in Art History, a subject I'm very fond of, but it won't help me get a job. I have no desire to pursue Art History. Years ago I might have and now I just feel like I need to take any job.

Daddy's money (via trust as he is no longer alive) put me through school and has basically paid for my life. I have no idea of what I should be doing. I just have so much shame over basically having done nothing with my life and having had it so much easier than most. It is very hard for me to motivate myself to find work when I know I have to start at the bottom and others my age are so far ahead of me. I sometimes skip interviews when I get them because I always feel like a loser for even applying for that particular job.

I am trying to force myself to drop off resumes at restaurants here in town but I just feel like I am going to get laughed at. I even earned a Food Handler Card to give me some sort of credential. I am so considering getting a guard card.

I am a poor at interviews because I have low self esteem and do not have achievements or skills to discuss. I try to act enthusiastic but I just come off as stupid.

I guess I'm posting this thread because I feel pretty unemployable. I need a job because I would like to not be homeless, I would like to meet people, and have something to give me useful occupation. If I make enough money I could even afford my own room and not share my quarters with five others. Really my only aspiration is to settle down and start a family. I actually moved across the country because I know I would not meet my "type" in the Midwest. I used to be the epitome of " young unemployed loner living in his mom's basement and playing video games all day" but I moved out, and across the country, to force myself into action.

Now what?

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 12-13-2015 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:34 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Have you considered taking civil service exams?

There are many entry-level exams in different fields. Go to your state or county civil service website and find the page about upcoming exams (look for ones that are open to people not already in civil service), and how to apply for them. They'll want to see a resume, but that is basically a formality, especially for entry-level positions. See what's out there and then spend some time positioning yourself in that direction, before you apply to take the test(s).

Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Have you considered taking civil service exams?

There are many entry-level exams in different fields. Go to your state or county civil service website and find the page about upcoming exams (look for ones that are open to people not already in civil service), and how to apply for them. They'll want to see a resume, but that is basically a formality, especially for entry-level positions. See what's out there and then spend some time positioning yourself in that direction, before you apply to take the test(s).
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:52 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Hi,

First off, you have not done nothing with your life. You went to and finished college even after your father's passing. Secondly, you are still very young and have your whole life ahead of you! There is plenty of time to explore careers and even go back and further your education in an area you have not even thought about yet. Just find something interesting which there is more demand for. Then work hard toward that goal. The list of such occupations is long.

If possible, I would consider a graduate degree in an area which is more in demand. Or look into AA/AS programs which can be in demand such as nursing, accounting, etc... While art history is interesting from a student perspective, it's not something very marketable. If you like art, graphic art may be an area a bit more marketable, especially if you can learn some basic web development with it.

If you cannot afford going to school at this time, consider teaching elementary school. Check public and private schools.

Lastly, the military is always a good option for college graduates. They can also train you for useful careers and provide a place to live, travel, etc...

Derek

Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Can you use any of that trust fund money to see a mental health professional?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Can you use any of that trust fund money to see a mental health professional?
I have seen people for basically my entire life. I have been severely depressed and a complete loner since the end of junior high. I only started to make friends in college, really, when I stopped purposely alienating myself.

I have been to many institutions through my life and have taken different medications to treat my problems. I am actually in a better place than I have been in years. As my resume gap continues to grow my prospets for the future continue to wane.

To be honest, there are no real careers, beyond writing music or making art, that I actually want. I am willing to do pratically anything for money, however. Hollywood is only 20 minutes away and I am indeed in LA to play music ultimately.

I think I am deeply conflicted because there is a side of me that wants to be like most of my friends and be the sort of goodie two shoes who gets the good job and whatnot. I really do want to start a family before I'm 30.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:58 PM

278 posts, read 335,471 times
TS, you're still VERY young. Make a plan and do it immediately while you still have your youth. But this time, research into fields that will translate into a career. This could mean going to a community college that will let you earn a BS degree in something more practical career-wise. Unless you absolutely have to, I would avoid these low wage type jobs. It is just a waste of time and before you know it, you'll be 30 and will still have not progressed far in life. So make a definitive plan ASAP while you're still young.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If it's any glimmer of home, my boss (director level) is making $150,000 in commercial real estate and has only a degree in art history. While times are different now than when she graduated, she started as an entry level secretary for a real estate firm in the SF Bay Area, and with experience moved up over 5-6 years, took a real estate course at night, and moved here to take a job in real estate development, where the art background actually helped some working with interior designers.
There were a few more promotions after that, again because of experience. Retail and fast food are typical jobs for someone going to school, now you need to look into entry level office work that requires no degree or any degree. The civil service idea is good, but when you get a job, go back and take a few classes to help develop skills that will help you advance within the organization or elsewhere in that industry.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:35 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
OP, I would definitely take the advice given.

There's hope for you so keep fighting. Lord knows it, I'm still fighting myself.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
well Cryinbaby, you have something I wish I had: an art history degree. Because I'm trying to make it (part-time) as an artist right now, and I have no art related degree at all. I'd love to teach art, even just classes to kids or seniors, but no one would think of hiring me for that without an art degree of some kind. (And no, I can't afford art school, so... be thankful you got a great gift of an expensive education!)

There's nothing wrong with you but a lack of confidence. Most artists or musicians need to work day jobs and very often they are bussing tables or doing landscape work - which you already have experience in.

Work on your goal setting and time management right now. Once you learn to do those things, it may take a while but you will have a decided advantage over other people in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search