Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:13 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times

Advertisements

Here's a question about lying -- or "omitting" an advanced degree from a resume vs the application.

What are your thoughts about omitting info that you don't have to include -- vs. lying about a question you're specifically asked?

IF you leave higher degrees OFF the resume.....I really don't consider that lying. After all, you're tailoring the resume to the job and if the advanced degree isn't relevant, then it really doesn't need to be there. That, I get.

Now when it comes to the actual online application that 99% of the time you're asked to fill out even though you are attaching a resume (Oh how I hate that, but, oh well)......if you're specifically asked "highest" level of education achieved" -- it would be lying to leave the degree off in that case, right?

So I guess my question is:
-- would you leave the degree off the actual company online application?
-- how much to HR people actually compare the application to the resume, line for line?
-- if the degree isn't on the resume AND it's not on the application, is education level an item that would come up on a background check that would make them realize you failed to inform them about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
This is common in my profession where there are very poor job prospects for PhD level scientists and companies discriminate against them viewing them as overqualified. I see no issue with doing do. In fact I see no issue with lying or doing whatever you need to do to get a job. It is a dirty, unfair, system with one-sided "rules" designed for the benefit of one side with no moral authority to keep job seekers at a disadvantage.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:53 AM

Maybe it's splitting hairs.
But omitting something that's irrelevant from the resume.....and lying about something you're specifically asked on the application are two different things, are they not?

Omitting from the tailored resume ...you can't get fired for.
Lying on the application, you can. No?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Often times applications have a field that states what is your highest level of education or something similar. You sort of have to lie.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:59 AM

Yes that's my point.
Lying on the application is grounds for termination.

Now one could ask....what's the chance they'll ever find out? And of course we know people lie about worse every day.
Personally I'm grappling with having that hang over my head.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Here's a question about lying -- or "omitting" an advanced degree from a resume vs the application.

What are your thoughts about omitting info that you don't have to include -- vs. lying about a question you're specifically asked?

IF you leave higher degrees OFF the resume.....I really don't consider that lying. After all, you're tailoring the resume to the job and if the advanced degree isn't relevant, then it really doesn't need to be there. That, I get.

Now when it comes to the actual online application that 99% of the time you're asked to fill out even though you are attaching a resume (Oh how I hate that, but, oh well)......if you're specifically asked "highest" level of education achieved" -- it would be lying to leave the degree off in that case, right?

If it ever gets discovered, and the company is inclined to terminate because of this, your defense that it was am omission, not a lie, is going to be laughed at.

I can’t see many companies looking at something like omitting a higher degree as a termination offense though. You would have to do something else to annoy them, then they use it as an excuse. [/quote]

Quote:
So I guess my question is:
-- would you leave the degree off the actual company online application?
-- how much to HR people actually compare the application to the resume, line for line?
Nobody looks at the resume. The only thing people look at is the online application. So you leave it off the online app or don’t bother.

Quote:
-- if the degree isn't on the resume AND it's not on the application, is education level an item that would come up on a background check that would make them realize you failed to inform them about that?
Maybe on a federal background check for a security clearance. Maybe if you got your grad degree from the same place you got your undergrad. But it isn’t likely.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 AM

It's only been the last couple of applications....

But so far I've left the degree OFF. the targeted resume.
But told the truth on the actual application.
I just haven't been able to bring myself to NOT answering truthfully to a direct question.

Other people lie through their teeth every day and don't bat an eye.
WHY do I have to be so honest as to have this torture me?...when it's something that likely won't even ever be found out?

Old 03-26-2018, 10:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Resumes aren't legal documents. You can omit whatever you want.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Resumes aren't legal documents. You can omit whatever you want.
That's not actually true, at least in some states. Regardless, it can affect your legal rights later on and omissions can be grounds for dismissal if the instructions were to list ALL of something, including education.
Maybe that wouldn't show up in a background check, but at some point a co-worker that doesn't like you may overhear something and report it, resulting in an investigation. There is also the chance that the hiring manager or a co-worker competing for a promotion will find something on social media. Is the degree listed on Linked-in, for example? HR and the hiring manager will, in fact scrutinize the applications and the resume if they are considering a person for an interview, and again with even more attention to detail if the person is being considered for an offer.

The Legal Risks of Lying on Your Resume - Shake by LegalShield

Legal Issues for HR & Fraudulent Resumes | Chron.com

Old 03-26-2018, 05:02 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,939,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's not actually true, at least in some states. Regardless, it can affect your legal rights later on and omissions can be grounds for dismissal if the instructions were to list ALL of something, including education.
Maybe that wouldn't show up in a background check, but at some point a co-worker that doesn't like you may overhear something and report it, resulting in an investigation. There is also the chance that the hiring manager or a co-worker competing for a promotion will find something on social media. Is the degree listed on Linked-in, for example? HR and the hiring manager will, in fact scrutinize the applications and the resume if they are considering a person for an interview, and again with even more attention to detail if the person is being considered for an offer.

The Legal Risks of Lying on Your Resume - Shake by LegalShield

Legal Issues for HR & Fraudulent Resumes | Chron.com
A co worker could overhear what exactly? That you have a masters degree? Why would they go tell a manager that you have a masters degree? How would this coworker know what you put down in your resume, And why would you be discussing your degree anyways at work? The only person who might even remember what degree you have is the hiring manager, but even they would forget after a few months and probably don't care after you're hired.

It is not a lie to leave it off your resume, and who cares anyways. They can't find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search