Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:23 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times

Advertisements

I went to an interview last week. They said they want to hire 3 people ASAP. They gave me a card with a web address to fill out an application. I went to the site to look for the ad and the job wasn't listed. I emailed the interviewer to let them know. No response back. And the job is still posted.

The interviewer said he had 5 more interviews scheduled for later in the day. I think I was told a story. How can you be interviewing 6 people in one day, then not have the online application up AND be looking to hire ASAP. It's pretty annoying going to an interview and being given information that makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
It really is stressful.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I went to an interview last week. They said they want to hire 3 people ASAP. They gave me a card with a web address to fill out an application. I went to the site to look for the ad and the job wasn't listed. I emailed the interviewer to let them know. No response back. And the job is still posted.

The interviewer said he had 5 more interviews scheduled for later in the day. I think I was told a story. How can you be interviewing 6 people in one day, then not have the online application up AND be looking to hire ASAP. It's pretty annoying going to an interview and being given information that makes no sense.
Sorry you had to experience this. Unfortunately, hiring managers lie to candidates all the time.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Sorry you had to experience this. Unfortunately, hiring managers lie to candidates all the time.

Thanks. My attitude has changed towards employers. I'm just going to tell interviewers exactly what they want to hear. Take a job. Then keep on looking and leave that job as soon as I find something better. They owe me nothing and I owe them nothing.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Interviews used to be so simple, for me at least. I'd meet in person with one man or two, we'd talk, and then I'd hear back if accepted or not.

More lately, and in a different state and region, it's a phone interview, and then an in-person interview. The interviewers are almost always women, and much younger women. I've gotten turned down for job's I've been well qualified for, and have seen where inexperienced women have gotten the job instead.

Now, I've got a doozy package awaiting me. First an in-person interview in three sessions, with seven people (six of which are women). Then a web interview two days later, with two more women. The job is fairly low-key, so it's strange to have so many involved. I'll gladly do all of this for the chance at the job, and play along, but off-record, sometimes these things seem to be overkill.

Maybe this is more of an "SOS" and minor venting than anything else. I just wonder if anyone else feels stuck in a weird time-warp, with all the rules changed, and kind of black and blue by the way things work these days. I'm a pleasant, friendly person, with lots of experience, but none of that seems to matter any more. It's like a certain image is wanted instead, something I don't fit or match, and there's no way to overcome the new approach.
Yes. The job search progress was grueling. I have read some of the hoops people go through to be considered for employment. I am not coming in 6 times for an interview and I am not coming in for a trial run. Three interviews max. All of this is overkill and it is not necessary. It makes me wonder what it would be like working there.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd rather gargle concentrated acid than deal with the hiring process again.
-long inefficient redundant job apps
-Obnoxious interviewers that think beating people up at an interview is doing a good job
-bimbo HR asking stupid irrelevant questions trying to pretend they are a psychological profiler
-Junk science psychometric tests
-Companies ghosting candidates then complaining when candidates do the same
-Playing salary games it's like "The Price is Right" guess as high as possible without going over.

I don't bother unless I am desperate. And employers wonder why they have trouble finding talent?
Well said!

Old 02-18-2019, 03:28 AM

669 posts, read 582,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post

In the last week or so I saw a couple of jobs posted on Indeed...all said to apply on the company website. Ok, so I opened an account, laboriously filled out THEIR application. Hit APPLY......nothing. No confirmation that I had tried to apply..no “missing info†alerts, nadda. Returned to one site that I had tried to apply for a position an was given a noice that “you have not applied for any jobsâ€. Well....I certainly Tried to apply! In all instances the job was still posted on THEIR website. I gave up.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Right behind you in your observations. In my past decade of working and interviewing for work, I will agree and the decathlon of nonsense is getting more rigorous. Is it the reason behind requiring so many HR degrees (is this even a major??) - because they've dissected hiring so much and so badly?

After all the pseudo inter-personal trials come the Hunger Games.

Soft 'dislikes' of the modern interviewing world:
Inane questions (what are you reading right now?)

Personality tests based on HR rag mag junk science (are you party animal Alvin or wallflower Wanda?)
Group interviews with ALL women - fuggetaboudit (I have been hired by men/women teams and men. NEVER hired by women)
Got that right: panels with women are a firing squad, IME, a.k.a drumhead court, Star Chamber, or Kabuki Theater. Pick your metaphor, all lead the same place: waste of your time, you're done. Women are bad enough in groups of more than two, and a regular clique of angry sisters with three or more, including their own internal pecking order (Queen Bee, her lieutenant, and the lesser mommas and sometimes a Bottom B____, unf). Screw that. Worse than admins for executives, who are infamous for being snotty and hierarchically jealous of their patron, to the doom of damn near everyone else, the rest of the Proles.

One of these years I'll have my own admin, I suspect, and if I witness that behavior there will be corrective action taken, in steps, by me starting with a pleasant conversation about "teamwork" and "collaboration." I've seen it so often it's almost ubiquitous, unf.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Yes. The job search progress was grueling. I have read some of the hoops people go through to be considered for employment. I am not coming in 6 times for an interview and I am not coming in for a trial run. Three interviews max. All of this is overkill and it is not necessary. It makes me wonder what it would be like working there.
It speaks to disorganization in...the organization. I did a lot of interviewing for our firm in '17, technical screens, subject irrelevant to the point.

If they got through the Sr. recruiter, and she was merciless, they went to (sometimes) me and another Sr. leader of the office, tag team or alone. We were no tougher together than alone, it was fair to the candidate. After that, maybe a deep tech dive (let's count 'em: that's 3). Thumbs up so far, so now to the client. Pass them, you're in. It went pretty fast when we could, less than a week or less than 3-4 days if at-all possible.

One story, though: had a guy, whose name I remember unf for him, who made it through all of us at the firm (two or three, incl me). I audited and moderated his interview w/a major client, final step. The client pinned him to the wall with a few good points, and the idjit gave damn near bizarre answers. I thanked everyone, and 911'd it to the Sr. recruiter: get ...rid...of...this...guy. Right NOW. So she did, and he ranked her out on the phone! Dodged a bullet. Sometimes, an extra perspective helps. I was wrong, to be frank, giving the guy a thumbs up, but it was just the right question(s) that sussed out some serious issues.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Interviews used to be so simple, for me at least. I'd meet in person with one man or two, we'd talk, and then I'd hear back if accepted or not.

More lately, and in a different state and region, it's a phone interview, and then an in-person interview. The interviewers are almost always women, and much younger women. I've gotten turned down for job's I've been well qualified for, and have seen where inexperienced women have gotten the job instead.

(snip)

Maybe this is more of an "SOS" and minor venting than anything else. I just wonder if anyone else feels stuck in a weird time-warp, with all the rules changed, and kind of black and blue by the way things work these days. I'm a pleasant, friendly person, with lots of experience, but none of that seems to matter any more. It's like a certain image is wanted instead, something I don't fit or match, and there's no way to overcome the new approach.
(To the OP):

Not quite sure what "(seems like) experience doesn't matter" means. That's the only thing that matter, once you've cleared the idiot gatekeepers. Youth and exuberance is no match for age and treachery, but they have (some of) the keys, not you. Initially, anyway.

As for the young ladies (and sometimes men) doing the screening: well, who do you think the screeners are at these companies? Usually young twenty-somethings with education but little or no experience, thus little or no sense. You check their boxes, or don't. Might want to ensure you're quite charming on the phone, that has gotten me a certain distance in my career by itself. These youngin's are usually an irritant, but rightly or wrongly they are gatekeepers. Period.

Last month was three interviews, by-phone, for a SF based role (I'm in Seattle). I can check, but do believe it was 30-45-60 min, last being the hiring director. They then offered me the job day or two later, bit of a surprise: thought they might fly me to SF, no big deal from Seattle! Nope. Met my terms, and then-some, on comp. The bastards then pulled back the verbal offer (all done via a retained headhunter) after a weekend and another two business days after a holiday of me mentally going, "where the frack is the offer letter?". Complete chicken(cough). It was all a bit strange, and clearly disappointing to me. They'll get what they deserve, that being "nothing" in that insane-o SF and Silicon Valley market...

Current most-interesting prospect has been two 30 min, w/Dir of recruiting and secondly Dir of prof services. Third was me giving a presentation to a panel, via Web tools (video, and audio) for thirty min. Damn, that last part was fun! I prepped probably sixteen hours for that, including roughly ten dry runs through the product I was demoing to look for glitches. Found one or two, and thus had backups to backups. Had answers to the two questions posed at the end, too. And THAT is why "prep, prep, and more prep!" is always a great idea. The role will have tons of video time with clients, increasingly common, and they need to make sure candidates are clean in appearance and demeanor, super organized, and highly professional (aka smooth). Lot of adverbs there, but I know that's how they roll.

Never mind... 30 min interviews are aggressive, think about it. Candidate has time for maybe two questions, but they're mostly pull: the company hearing your responses to several key questions directly applicable to the role. Wrestling if that is a good thing or not...I personally like in-person, either side of the desk, to really suss out how a candidate handles (him)self. Or they can do same to me....for one hour, though.

If there's a Part IV to my current prospect, I don't know but figure 66% chance or so there will be either a final/near-final in-person, or offer. Helps they're aggressively growing to meet enormous demand, too, and skills are few and far between. To arrive in next couple days, most likely. Or, they email to let me know I'm done, which will certainly **** me off . Or deafening silence, in which case who knows what's going on, but after maybe 10 days of that the game is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search